Laserbeam November 6th, 2019 1:07pm

When bands break up, do you typically believe them or do you see it more as a marketing scheme? (“Miss us for a few years, then pay $200 per ticket for our ‘reunion’ tour”)

FitzDarcy Earth
11/07/19 1:58 am

Didn't the Eagles break up? Well they are touring AGAIN.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/06/19 3:14 pm

I tend to believe them. The stresses of performing and touring probably wear them down and make them tired of the whole thing after a while. I'm actually surprised a lot of bands stay together as long as they do.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
11/06/19 1:16 pm

John Tavares only signed a contract with Toronto because he intends on coming back.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 4:03 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if he did return to NYI one day when he’s much older. Lots of players/teams do that kind of sentimental shit even when it doesn’t exactly make the most sense to add the player to your current system.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
11/06/19 6:39 pm

I dont think hed ever return after last year.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/07/19 7:57 am

Fans really only hate him because he plays for another team. If he came back, fans would be overjoyed and welcome him back with open arms. They always do.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
11/07/19 6:05 pm

Yeah, but I dont think *he* would want to join us again.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
11/06/19 11:42 am

How many reunion and "last tours" bands seem to have. 💰💰💰

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 4:05 pm

Last year I went to an Ozzy Osbourne concert and the tour was literally called “No More Tours pt. 2”.

BadSeed Oregon
11/06/19 9:40 am

Everything is a conspiracy nowadays

rons on top of the world MA
11/06/19 9:30 am

Arthritis plays a big role.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
11/06/19 7:51 am

Most are probably legit at the time. All I know is the Rage is reuniting and now I’ve got to get back to Coachella.

MannIsMe COVID Dont Surf
11/06/19 7:42 am

Okay, so is anyone else totally stoked about the MCR reunion?

Their last studio recording was "Fake Your Death," so I kinda saw something like this coming, but once Gerard Way took on The Umbrella Academy with Neflix, I figured he'd stay busy with that, but then he collaborated with Ray Toro for some of the show's music.....

MannIsMe COVID Dont Surf
11/06/19 7:44 am

I usually don't geek out this hard on SoH, but you triggered me in the best kind of way.
Fanboy mode activated.
I feel 15 again.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 7:57 am

I was excited to see that, but it’s just 1 show. I get the sense that Gerard and Frank Iero had some sort of falling out or don’t care too much for each other anymore, so I’m not sure. Being a fan of System of a Down as well, I’m very cautious now not to get my hopes too high for a new album just because they play a few shows a year lol

MannIsMe COVID Dont Surf
11/06/19 8:44 am

I got that same impression, but all the public statements indicated everything was cool. Make you go hmm.

desolatia Oregon
11/06/19 7:59 pm

I’m excited! I tried to get a ticket to the LA show, but that didn’t work out. I’ll have to assume a tour will be forthcoming.

credo Vote your conscience
11/06/19 7:27 am

Speaking as a musician myself, the hardest thing about being in a band is keeping it from breaking up. Especially if you are touring all the time and getting on eachother's nerves.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 8:00 am

Have you seen the Metallica documentary Some Kind of Monster? Everybody should see it, especially musicians, regardless of whether you like Metallica.

thelowend imitation is flattery
11/06/19 12:57 pm

credo - sake here and completely agree.

i did a cross country tour many years ago with guys i thought were my best friends in the world. 6 weeks in and i wanted the guitarists’ head on a platter. it’s a strain. i’m always amazed some groups go on for as long as they do

credo Vote your conscience
11/06/19 1:35 pm

Laser I like mettalica but I haunt seen the documentary. I'll have to check that out.

credo Vote your conscience
11/06/19 1:37 pm

Low-end I never got to the point of going out on tour myself, but I saw it happen to a lot of my freinds. It's a shame after years of hard work to build a following and get a record deal and then quit after one or two albums.

thelowend imitation is flattery
11/06/19 5:04 pm

ah yeah the infamous “record deals” and advances that no one ever happens to mention you have to pay back with points. or points against the album. or why they needed to hire “the guy” with the “vintage” equipment that’s going to make the album seem so “warm”.

it blows my mind anyone would pursue a record deal past 2010 honestly.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/06/19 6:17 am

I think you get some bands.....ie-Creedence or Oasis.....where the band members hate each other and you know they are done. Others I think get burned out.....and need a break. Years later they may come back to it after they are refreshed. My father in law played in a touring band for over a decade. They split up for about 25 years and pursued real careers. They got back together about 10 years ago.....now that they have more time....and play a few gigs a year....mostly for fun.

smartfart Florida
11/06/19 6:13 am

Most of the time, in the friendly breakup, I see the members wanting to branch out to other musical (or otherwise) interests. It doesn’t mean they aren’t still friends, but just not an active band.
If it isn’t a friendly breakup & they get back together, I see it as a sum was more of the parts. They don’t have the success or don’t feel as whole apart. One member may convince the rest to get back together to get that old feeling back...or maybe because he blew his money on stupid shit & still needs to afford the lifestyle.

...

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/06/19 6:09 am

Then again, if you pay any amount of money to see the 2019 version of, say Motley Crue, you probably would’ve done so regardless if they were “reuniting”.