qmastrangelo November 5th, 2019 7:33pm

Has American culture and society suffered a moral decline over the past several decades?

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
11/08/19 3:40 pm

Go on Facebook. I swear the worst dredges of society show up. I never thought people could be this insane. Or stupid

Zfilakas Eleftheria i Thanatos
11/05/19 8:31 pm

We ain’t lynching brown people in the street no more, so it’s definitely better than the boomers age.

JudicialJedi321 Pro Life, All Life
11/05/19 7:20 pm

The left has been actively trying to destroy it for years.

STEMguy Parties Are The Enemy
11/05/19 5:17 pm

Crime is down, less teenage pregnancy, less racism. We’re doing better in almost every way. The internet just makes it seem worse.

Radon Parts Unknown
11/05/19 7:33 pm

-less racism

Tell that to any democrat pundit and see what they say

STEMguy Parties Are The Enemy
11/05/19 8:39 pm

I know right. They like to forget the 60’s even happened.

Negamu
11/06/19 11:29 am

Democrats don’t explode with rage when they see a colored person drinking from their water fountains, Radon.

Negamu
11/06/19 11:31 am

Oh wait, I misread. I thought you were implying the Democrats are just as racist as before.

Even though there are people who strongly believe racism is still a severe problem in this country, I doubt anyone thinks it is as bad as it was during the time of Jim Crow laws.

Negamu
11/06/19 9:37 pm

Oh god it’s so stupid it’s painful

Krosskaos Ohio
11/05/19 4:45 pm

The morale of the country is just shifting. Doesn't mean that the country is becoming more or less moral.

tractorman Make Good Trouble
11/05/19 3:24 pm

Especially with this morally corrupt present president.....😒

FitzDarcy Earth
11/06/19 2:24 am

Lol the left can't seem to prove that

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
11/06/19 6:04 am

Morally corrupt...he’s lived by that example. Multiple marriages, affairs...

tractorman Make Good Trouble
11/06/19 7:38 am

Fitz, and the right can’t seem to see the truth even when confronted by facts and the truthπŸ€ͺπŸ€£πŸ˜‚

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/05/19 3:14 pm

Not in my opinion and based upon my reading of American History and global history. That’s an ever popular notion but totally false in my view.

Attikai Oregon
11/05/19 3:12 pm

There's a lot less bigotry now. If bigotry is inline with your morality then maybe.

BadSeed Oregon
11/05/19 2:58 pm

It's called Social Media. Now we can see how awful people really are!

suppressedID Honor RBGs Wish
11/05/19 2:49 pm

Compared to WHAT ??
Slavery?
Child labor?
Not allowing women or people of color to vote? How about how great things were before we had environmental protections?

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/05/19 3:15 pm

😊 you’re all over it.

zimmy Florida
11/05/19 2:46 pm

Yeah, look who’s President πŸ₯΄

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/05/19 1:57 pm

Homosexuality and same sex marriage. Abortion. Schools with locked doors and police walking the halls. Parents who no longer grasp the importance of attending church as a family. And people wonder why school shootings occur.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
11/05/19 2:02 pm

Still in the closet, eh? How sad for you.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/05/19 2:24 pm

No. I’m at Chic Fil A right now.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
11/05/19 2:26 pm

To get some cock in your mouth? Makes sense.

Zfilakas Eleftheria i Thanatos
11/05/19 3:12 pm

This comment is just “Old Man yells at sky”

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
11/06/19 6:06 am

School shootings are caused by parents not taking their kids to church, police in schools, abortion and the gay? Did I get that right? Great way to excuse the shooter...

thatguy2 I am Antifa
11/06/19 7:32 am

I wonder what church shootings are caused by. πŸ€”

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/06/19 8:53 am

Same thing. This nation is in a moral decline. Life has no value.

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
11/06/19 9:10 am

I’d suggest a few other things but you devolve you demon possession.

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/05/19 1:30 pm

I think we just know more. We are more out in the open. With technology we share more. People used to hide in shame and feared punishment or death.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 1:36 pm

Read what I wrote in my original comment regarding the decline of organizations of community social cohesion. I’m curious to know your guys’ opinions on that.

thelowend imitation is flattery
11/05/19 1:44 pm

agree 100% with the second paragraph and most of the first.

however, i’m a staunch atheist. the decline and the undermining of labor unions and community organizations (which used to be overwhelmingly supported by both parties), have been replaced by bigger, better, more money.

i see it as the direct result of trickle down economics and crony capitalism. it needs to be reigned in.

Injectable Mojave Mo Problems
11/05/19 1:28 pm

The problem is that we should have kept shooting hippies and used Kent state as precedence to continue the good fight instead of backing away from the bad publicity. But we didn’t and now we have the offspring of hippies.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
11/05/19 1:21 pm

No. Violent crime is down, acceptance of the LGBT community is up, and more people are starting to reject the idea that murderous slavetraders like Columbus should be celebrated.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 1:31 pm

That’s how you quantify public and social morality? Not the fact that billionaires run sex-trafficking operations and are protected by high society allies, that our political system is being ripped apart at the seams by polarization and demonization, or that the American dream is becoming harder and harder to attain for the working class?

It’s all about Columbus Day for you?

Okay.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
11/05/19 1:36 pm

You think rich people just recently started exploiting others? Are we more divided than during the civil war? I think that people who whine about the alleged downfall of society while demanding that we celebrate a murderous slavetrader are a fucking joke. GTFO with your virtue signaling buIIshit.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 1:39 pm

You can think I’m a “fucking joke” all you want, but the fact that’s you’re a jackass is on full display here for everyone to see.

“GTFO with your virtue signaling buIIshit.”

That’s rich, considering the push against Columbus Day is the absolute empitone of virtue signaling.

GTFO off my own poll? No, I’m sorry but screw you. People like you rage about the death of civility and then pull stuff like this. Either learn how to disagree with people respectfully or leave.

thatguy2 I am Antifa
11/05/19 1:45 pm

Civility is overrated. I’d rather just call buIIshit on buIIshit, and you’re full of shit.

Talren Positivist
11/05/19 1:45 pm

“Not the fact that billionaires run sex-trafficking operations and are protected by high society allies,”

True. Maybe we should find a better economic system that doesn’t result in a tiny few being corrupted by absurd amounts of power in the form of wealth.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 1:46 pm

Maybe so, or at least a way to mitigate it and prevent the atrophy of social mobility.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 1:48 pm

Thatguy, I’m sorry you feel that way.

Talren Positivist
11/05/19 1:59 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by “social mobility.” What I was getting at is that the problems you describe seem to obviously stem from capitalism.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 2:04 pm

Not necessarily. Capitalism has existed in many places and times without those issues and cultural transition obviously plays an important role in them as well. Our current economic system needs changes because it no longer supports the American family and other units of social cohesion that have a stabilizing effect on the social structure. That doesn’t mean we should throw the baby out along with the bath water.

Talren Positivist
11/05/19 2:18 pm

“Capitalism has existed in many places and times without those issues”

Such as? The very nature of capitalism is that it results in most of the wealth culminating in a tiny minority of people. Wealth = power, and power corrupts.

“and cultural transition obviously plays an important role in them as well. Our current economic system needs changes because it no longer supports the American family”

I have no idea what that means. “The American family” is extraordinarily vague and is the sort of buzz-phrase I would expect to hear from a politician.

bigray Where Truth Rules
11/05/19 1:08 pm

Started decline with LBJs “Great Society”.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
11/05/19 1:01 pm

Absolutely. So much so that people object to the very concept of morality.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/05/19 1:46 pm

Exactly! Josh McDowell wrote that this was coming back in the 90’s! He said that people would no longer believe in absolute truth and that it would be our downfall.

Diogenes IgnoranceNoBlissEs
11/05/19 12:45 pm

That tends to happen when reference to God is removed from a society that was built on Biblical principles.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/05/19 1:49 pm

πŸ’  qmastrangelo asked:
11/05/2019

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
11/06/19 6:07 am

Do you have the data on that? I’m interested.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 12:38 pm

I think that it has. American culture is no longer conducive to the structuring of strong families or of civil society organizations like religious communities, labor organizations, and localized community organizations, which all formerly acted as the backbone of social cohesion in the nation.

This shift has occurred in conjunction with, not independent of the hollowing out of the American economy, and has resulted in the atomization of society to the level at which there is only the individual contending with the whole of society without the structure afforded by the aforementioned linkage institutions. This is directly responsible for our cancerous political culture and the the widespread increase in deaths of despair.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 12:38 pm

deaths of despair (suicide, drug overdoses, et cetera).

snagglepuss2 Harmony Bear
11/05/19 5:11 pm

It used to be that the Dad worked and the Mom took care of the house and kids. Now both parents need to work to be able to provide for their family. That takes away from the family meal and quality time together.

There are still religious communities but they are working. Even pastors need to work outside of their church.

The attacks on labor unions and part time, low wage jobs gives corporations more rights and employees less bargaining power.

Take a look at economic trends since Reagan. The attack on the middle and working class has put an undue burden on American families.

...

skinner Wisconsin
11/05/19 12:35 pm

Certainly, and I’m not sure what can be done to rectify it.