bringstheeagle November 5th, 2019 1:54am

Is White Supremacy a relic of the distant past circa the late 1860s after the Civil War?

otto Olean, NY
11/05/19 8:42 am

Not absolutely, but I definitely LEAN yes. There still are, and I presume always will be, outliers who will perpetuate hatred of all kinds. It is absolutely NOT pervasive or “institutionalized” as the left would have us believe.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/05/19 9:01 am

๐Ÿ˜‚ that has nothing to do with the question and says way more about you than the left. Pervasive or not I hope we can agree that 1) violence against innocent people is never an appropriate answer and 2) that this fellow if proven guilty was planning an act of terrorism and 3) Terrorism isn’t something we should shrug ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป‍โ™‚๏ธoff as a mere anomaly by an outlier.

Anyway thanks for dropping by ...I think ๐Ÿค”. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Odysseus We All Need A Fantasy
11/05/19 4:43 am

It’s roots go back much further than that. Colonialism was based on white supremacy.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/04/19 11:28 pm

Sadly no. Rooted then, maybe, but still hanging on today among our dumbest and dimmest.

suppressedID Honor RBGs Wish
11/04/19 10:54 pm

For it to be a relic, it would have be gone. ๐Ÿ˜ข

Krystina Live and Let Live
11/04/19 10:52 pm

Mostly, but too many people make money off of race hustling which means racism has to be resurrected any time it dissipates too much.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 11:47 pm

๐Ÿ˜‚ you really believe that? Well all views deserve serious consideration I guess.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/04/19 9:16 pm

It’s a current problem as well as a historical one.

TierasPet
11/05/19 5:53 am

I agree

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 9:06 pm

Here’s a mor accessible link I understand the attached article is behind a pay wall. Here’s one I got from the Associated Press website.

apnews.com/a76c3e51fbdd4130a79c946116f260ba

missmorganmarie ...
11/04/19 9:40 pm

@susanr free article

susanr Colorado
11/04/19 8:00 pm

Well, I *tried* to read the linked article. But apparently I’ve reached my “article limit” so I can’t. If that’s a monthly limit, I don’t know how that happened; it’s only the 4th and I don’t remember reading any in the last week or so. If it’s a lifetime limit, well, that’s just annoying. I don’t mind paying for newspapers but I already subscribe to *3* and I’m thinking about supporting a 4th, a small independent local paper (North Forty News) that recently went from monthly to weekly, and covers interesting stuff I haven’t seen in the Coloradoan, the local daily.

OK, that was just a grumble.

About the poll question: I don’t know. It may be a “relic” of that, although it’s a bit different. But didn’t it really start *way* back before that? Maybe not in the kind of “movement” we’re seeing now, but the same general idea.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 8:51 pm

My Observation is that it began after the Civil War in the late 1860s with the passage of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments. That’s when the Ku Klux Klan was formed ...before that supremacy was a foregone conclusion as chattel slavery was fully accepted and the law of the land for I’m guessing 250 years.

The founders basically enshrined it in our constitution by allowing planters who were slaveholders a vote at 3/5ths the man for the chattel slaves they held.

Then with the confederacy when they seceded from the union they established the confederacy as a nation based upon the supremacy of whites. See the cornerstone speech where the Vice President of the Confederacy says exactly that. Anyway that’s my take on things.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 8:53 pm

History of the KKK basically backs my statement above:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 8:56 pm

Excerpt from cornerstone speech:

“The new Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institutions—African slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson, in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old Constitution were, that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally and politically.” Continued Below.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 8:57 pm

Continuation:

“It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with; but the general opinion of the men of that day was, that, somehow or other, in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. [...] Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the idea of a Government built upon it—when the "storm came and the wind blew, it fell."

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 8:59 pm

Anyway that’s the basis for my view.

Direct link to the speech and about the speech: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornerstone_Speech

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 9:00 pm

Also, I’ll try finding a better link.

smartfart Florida
11/04/19 7:53 pm

It’s amazing how fads always come back around.
I can’t wait for tie-dye shirts again!

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 10:05 pm

Not a fad had a long and contiguous and intractable history.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/04/19 7:39 pm

Richard Spenser.....so I’m going to say it’s not a thing of the past.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/04/19 7:21 pm

It dwells in the current White House.

bringstheeagle Colorado