SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/05/19 9:32 pm

Meh, A raghead’s a raghead no matter whichπŸ‘³πŸ»‍β™‚οΈπŸ‘³πŸ½‍♂️‼️

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/05/19 9:44 pm

No matter whether he’s Muslim or Jewish?

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/06/19 1:55 pm

The guy on the right side is Jewish. Does that change your opinion?

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/06/19 2:18 pm

Oops🀭 my mistake the guy on the “Right”, is “all Right”πŸ‘πŸΌ

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/06/19 2:20 pm

They’re both more than “all right,” they’re some of the most intelligent people of the medieval era, regardless of their respective religions.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/06/19 2:26 pm

qmast, I’ll take your word for it, if either had any literary writing skill & talent they received from their creator, did either acknowledge that❓

JPA1960 Illinois
11/04/19 3:58 pm

Averroes is awesome! I still remember my Mom teaching me about him in my high school years. One of the most interesting guys if you love history and politics.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/04/19 3:54 pm

Reading Ibn Rushd’s Commentaries is a must for any serious student of Aristotelianism

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/04/19 4:02 pm

I agree, but unfortunately his commentaries are relatively scarce in English. I would really like to read one on Metaphysics or Physics if it exists. Currently it looks like his commentary on De Anima seems to be the easiest one to find in English from my time on Amazon...I mean my extensive professional research. I guess for now I’ll have to stick with Aquinas’ commentaries since he often responds to what Averroes and Avicenna said in their respective commentaries/writings.

skinner Wisconsin
11/04/19 3:42 pm

I picked Maimonides because I’ve studied him and I’ve never studied the other guy

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/04/19 3:52 pm

You should look him up, his original name is Ibn Sina and he was an incredible guy with a ton of great insight into philosophy, theology, medicine, and science.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/04/19 3:52 pm

Oh wait, I thought this said Avicenna for a second, my mistake, I was thinking of someone else.

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/04/19 3:55 pm

Skinner, what was your overall opinion of Maimonides outside of a comparison to another philosopher?

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/04/19 3:56 pm

QM, to be fair, they’re both very similar both in art and their thought so your mistake is understandable. πŸ˜‚

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/04/19 3:58 pm

It may have just been wishful thinking, you already know that I’m a huge Avicenna fan πŸ˜‚

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/04/19 4:08 pm

Poor Averroes. Many Muslims in his day didn’t like him and and many of his ideas were condemned by the Church. Now in 2019 you have people only choosing him because they thinks he’s Avicenna. πŸ˜‚

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/04/19 4:13 pm

Don’t make me feel bad about it! πŸ˜‚ to be fair, I still went with Ibn Rushd just simply because I’m more familiar with his work than I am with that of Maimonides, nothing against him either though.

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/04/19 4:15 pm

Speaking of which, I was actually lucky enough to get to visit Maimonides birthplace in Córdoba which was fascinating to see

qmastrangelo back again one day
11/04/19 4:18 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw Ibn Rushd’s birthplace as well which is also in Córdoba! They have statues of them both sitting and holding a book on each respective spot. It’s an amazing city if you ever get the chance to visit.

anniepoops wisco fever
11/04/19 3:19 pm

I was just reading Maimonides. 😎

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/04/19 3:22 pm

Very cool! Which work were you reading?

anniepoops wisco fever
11/04/19 5:56 pm

I was reading him as part of a commentary on some prayers. I know some people that really love Rambam.

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/04/19 2:52 pm

Philosopher poll: On the left picture is Averroes (Ibn Rushd). Averroes was a Muslim-Aristotelian philosopher who is most famous for his extensive commentaries on the works of Aristotle. In the West, he was most known as “The Commentator” by Scholastic philosophers such as Thomas Aquinas.

On the right picture is Maimonides, also known as Moses ben Maimon, and Rabbi Moses. Maimonides was most famously a Jewish-Aristotelian philosopher and Torah scholar. Arguably his most famous and important work is the “Guide for the Perplexed” which seeks to reconcile Jewish theology with Aristotelian philosophy.

MrAmerica Neo Aristotelian
11/04/19 2:55 pm

This is somewhat tough but I prefer Rabbi Moses. I much prefer his Aristotelian perspective to that of Averroes, though I’m just starting to read his guide to the perplexed. However, if this poll was Avicenna versus Rabbi Moses I would certainly choose Avicenna, no question.