GrandmaALiCE November 4th, 2019 12:58pm

Inspired by @Wert series: Most popular programming languages, 1965-2019

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/04/19 9:01 am

Wrote in many of those languages ... moved into management around early-mid 90s and didn’t have to code anymore (thank God!) .. my personal favorite was always Assembler, followed by FORTRAN IV and 77 ... nice sweet concise. Wrote lots of COBOL... succinct, purposeful, and even management-types that never coded could understand it. Grace Hopper had an uncanny tolerance for male coders in her time. Over the years I found that most females are better coders than men. IMO.

GrandmaALiCE
11/04/19 9:07 am

I was proficient at coding in COBOL. I enjoyed it.

I didn’t know you were in IT.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/04/19 10:14 am

GA, I’ve had a whole bunch of interesting career choices, but I spent my longest time in the field of computers at nuclear facilities, 20+ years. Learned from every job (none of which is really related to each other), but was fascinated by nukes. Which is why I tend to prefer scientific programming structures.
I do remember one COBOL program I was trying to find a glitch in and for the life of me, I had looked at it so long I needed a break. I asked my boss to take a look to see if he could find the bug. Came back from lunch and found the printout on my desk with a note saying Found It! ... I leafed thru it to the location of the error, and he had put 2 dead bugs from the yard in between the pages. 🥴 Like I said, I was better at Assembler, etc.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
11/04/19 7:43 pm

Nice you mentioned Grace... Go Navy! ⚓️
I’ll also mention Ada Lovelace, often cited aa the very first programmer and her namesake programming language, Ada, my personal favorite!

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
11/04/19 7:57 pm

And let’s not forget Margaret Hamilton, a pioneer in real-time embedded programming for ‘manned’ aerospace systems. www.vox.com/2015/5/30/8689481/margaret-hamilton-apollo-software

htcbump Florida
11/04/19 9:14 pm

A wonderful graphic. I wrote in several from each age but faded as JavaScript came opón the scene. Interesting history!

Okie1967 Defend the Police
11/04/19 8:11 am

Interesting. C# is my primary language.

rons on top of the world MA
11/04/19 6:21 am

I started programming in 1965
1965 IBM1401 Autocoder
1967 IBM360 Cobol
1969 Univac 418II assembler
Univac 1100 series Assembler
1980 Tandem TAL
Did a little BASIC.
Stopped programming around 1987.

FORTRAN seemed to be use for math equations and not commercial applications.

Okie1967 Defend the Police
11/04/19 8:11 am

Your first programming language was a stone tablet and a chisel.

rons on top of the world MA
11/04/19 9:44 am

Close! Punch cards, tapes and a printer. 8k CPU. The 7074 did the processing and created a tape to print. Program was loaded by cards.
But in 1965 I was well ahead of most! Bought a portable computer in 1988 for $2grand. 10 meg hard drive, 5.25 disk.
In 1982 I bought my son a TI99 computer. It had basic, Hasp and machine code.

Okie1967 Defend the Police
11/04/19 10:19 am

My first rig was a trs-80 from radio shack/Tandy.

htcbump Florida
11/04/19 9:16 pm

Did you ever drop a box of those cards. Disaster.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
11/04/19 6:15 am

Interesting. I never knew Pascal made it to #1. However, it only shows that “popular” now means the preponderance of web based programming activity.

GrandmaALiCE
11/04/19 9:10 am

I don’t know how they measure it.

Lines of code?
Numbers of people who program in those languages?
How many commercial applications written in those languages?

You raise a good question!

GrandmaALiCE