bringstheeagle November 4th, 2019 4:11am

A recent lawsuit exposes Billionaires behind an innocuous nonprofit group, Americans for Job Security, they supported Republicans in the 2010 midterms and denouncing former President Obama in the 2012 election. Do you support Citizens United?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/04/19 10:06 am

Not just lean, absolutely oppose. Money is not equivalent to speech, and corporations are not people. I would restrict political campaign donations and lobbying expenditures to only individual citizens who meet the qualifications to vote, and would limit the annual total that could be spent by any one individual on political efforts to 5% of the federal poverty line for that year. Corporations, unions, and other groups would be strictly prohibited from all forms of political spending, including political advertising or paid lobbying.

mark4
11/04/19 12:41 pm

I generally appreciate where you’re going with that, but if money is not speech why limit just organisations from contributing? Why not limit all support to vocalisations?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/04/19 6:34 pm

I wouldn’t prohibit just organizations from contributing, I would prohibit individuals as well who are not eligible to be full participants in our democracy, AND I would limit the amount those who are could contribute. It isn’t limiting speech, it is leveling access, to ensure that no citizen has more political sway than any other.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 7:12 pm

This ☝️ well argued and filled with great stuff that never occurred to me. Thanks for your feedback.

mark4
11/05/19 5:22 am

Rational solution. Reduce the size and scope of government such that more access doesn’t buy anything.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
11/04/19 8:11 am

CU is a thinly-veiled cover to allow people to skirt contribution laws. Corporations aren’t people. They don’t vote. Allowing “them” to contribute while still allowing lobbying is an abomination. Legal payoffs.

JPA1960 Illinois
11/04/19 5:04 am

Yes, I did.

Money can conflate to free speech. Corporations have the right to spend. It was the right interpretation, in my view.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 8:20 am

Even so they need to follow disclosure rules ...don’t you think?

JPA1960 Illinois
11/04/19 1:06 pm

Most certainly.

mark4
11/04/19 4:22 am

If you want less business influence in government, the answer is simple.
Lessen the size and scope of government.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 1:26 pm

I think that’s simple alright and simply wrong about a complex subject.

mark4
11/04/19 1:35 pm

It’s complex as it is, and should be much simpler to the benefit of everyone but the tax-eaters.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 7:15 pm

You mean like the rich billionaires who pay no taxes I suppose 😊

mark4
11/05/19 5:20 am

You’re making my point. Without a powerful government what influence would a billionaire wield?

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/05/19 1:32 pm

Government by it’s very nature and purpose needs to be powerful.

mark4
11/05/19 3:50 pm

There were just a few who disagreed with you. They created the USA.

mark4
11/06/19 4:42 am

Riiiiiight.

Okay, we're done.
There's no way you can support that statement.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
11/04/19 1:46 am

I struggle with Citizen’s United. Philosophically, everything in me says that we should protect free speech and not allowing this could be considered a violation. At the same time, I feel one of the biggest problems we have is that politicians work for corporations and not for us, so I sit on the fence on this issue.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 8:22 am

I think they should at least follow the disclosure rules.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
11/04/19 9:07 am

I’m not familiar with the rules, so I don’t know. That’s part of the thing too. I haven’t really put much research into this issue, so I can’t really speak to it.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/19 7:13 pm

Basically all people and organizations are obligated to disclose honestly who they are.