Show Of Hands December 21st, 2012 12:00am

Should a certification/permit be legally required for a person to charge money to cut hair?

sportsballa
12/27/12 11:30 pm

I cut lawns for money. Isn't that the same thing. Why should I just a neighborhood lawn mower have to get a license cause than I would have to pay taxes on my earnings which at 15 I don't want to do..

patrioticteen
12/26/12 1:45 am

Hey I'm a republican, but you know, no one wants an untrained barber holding blades that close to your face. My mother went to beauty school for her permit, and license.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
12/25/12 2:35 pm

I say yes cuz anyone working with the public should know how to sanitize and clean their equipment.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
12/25/12 2:11 pm

No, but let's see how well their business does after awhile like that...

BondiBaby Nebraska
12/25/12 6:02 am

Actually every state requires anyone, hairdressers included, that touch someone for a profession, to get a license after X amount of hours of training.

bamaboy23
12/24/12 9:12 pm

well its your choice on who you pick...this question is not talking about a random stranger...

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 8:58 pm

That's covered under civil liability laws. No need for a permit. Just one more way to extract higher taxes.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 8:55 pm

No. There's no damage that can possibly result from a bad haircut that can't be fixed by a good solid two weeks, or so.

tiffypea
12/23/12 2:34 pm

So ultimately a license doesn't mean crap. Portfolios would be a better requirement. Visual proof of your abilities and competence and confidence.

tiffypea
12/23/12 2:33 pm

Even licensed professionals can snip or cut someone on accident. It's called an accident. And having a license to cut hair is so dumb. I've personally been to school and going to school proves to me that its more than education it's talent and skill. Even ppl who suck at cutting hair get licensed ha

tlesane
12/23/12 10:57 am

Definitely should not be required. If someone can cut hair just as good as a licensed barber then why would they need a license just to freelance? So maybe we should implement clipper-control laws so that unlicensed people aren't buying these tools of beautification. #GetReal

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
12/23/12 9:56 am

Maybe not even required, just available. Or maybe even just insurance.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
12/23/12 9:55 am

Not for the hair cutting factor, but they could accidentally snip an ear or cut their face.

presleyc5 tejas
12/23/12 1:20 am

Zod I know it's crazy how many facets there are to this seemingly simple industry. I agree with your assessment of hair at home. It's pretty asinine. Thank you for an intelligent banter. I really do appreciate it. :)

rodin South Dakota
12/22/12 11:04 pm

don't care. I have'nt cut my hair since the 80's

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/22/12 9:52 pm

presleyc5 Thanks for the info. It seems even more odd that having the license means you can't be paid for work done at home that you could have been paid for without the license. No advantage there. You sure are right about there being a lot more to it than what people on the outside (like me) know.

presleyc5 tejas
12/22/12 9:35 pm

And she doesn't have a license, that's ok, at home. If she does it in a salon, that's illegal. If your friends a stylist and she charged you at salon, ok, but not at home. Not many stylist pay that last bit much attention though.

presleyc5 tejas
12/22/12 9:33 pm

Let me clarify the law in Texas. I'm not sure about other states, but I'm sure they're similar. It's not illegal to charge for a haircut without a license unless you are in a salon spa etc. if you have a license it's illegal to charge outside of a salon spa etc. if your friend cuts your hair and

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his idiot base
12/22/12 9:27 pm

And I'll bet she even had a "license" right? Your argument shot itself in the foot. Next.

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his idiot base
12/22/12 9:26 pm

How does paying a bribe to a bureaucrat for a piece of paper solve anything

luluforever06
12/22/12 8:45 pm

No, I u r stupid enough to trust someone with out a license then u deserve a bad hair cut

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/22/12 8:13 pm

presleyc5 I think it's great you're so dedicated to doing your job right and are conscientious about safety. I don't have an agenda, I just think it's odd that anyone can cut my hair for free, but needs government approval to be paid. The kid that mows lawns doesn't need a permit most places - yet.

presleyc5 tejas
12/22/12 6:30 pm

Way. I'm not exactly sure why the rest of the country should even have an opinion about it. If we want to be regulated and licensed its our deal. We pay for it gladly. This is one of those subjects people rant about when they have no idea what they're talking about.

presleyc5 tejas
12/22/12 6:27 pm

That is regulated. I guess my ultimate point really is unless you are in this business there is really no way to know these things. I've spent my adult life dedicated to this industry and educating others about it. I have never met a stylist or student that would have the licensing issue any other

susanr Colorado
12/22/12 6:25 pm

I think there are some folks who see *everything* through a political filter. I can't believe some of the questions here that get politicized responses - often very strident ones.

presleyc5 tejas
12/22/12 6:24 pm

Zod the fact is that all the things are license fees pay for ARE safety related. The inspectors are there almost solely to check health and safety standards. Our policy handbooks mostly contain health and safety rules. The exams are dominated by health and safety questions. There is very little else

rothbard
12/22/12 6:11 pm

Is it that different if I get paid for it?

Gingerred primum non nocere
12/22/12 5:44 pm

Hair cutting is a very dangerous profession and we absolutely need government interference to make certain we're safe from incompetent beauticians.

Itabliss Hello
12/22/12 4:24 pm

I think you need to reread the question honey.

Asterix Florida
12/22/12 11:29 am

a lot less permits should be required.

Would I need a permit to cut my own or my son's hair?

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
12/22/12 11:20 am

No. Its cutting hair.

GrandmaALiCE
12/22/12 10:02 am

People keep missing the point on this. It is not about good haircuts. It's about sanitation, safety, recognizing skin diseases, etc.

Case in point: My sister-in-law was recently injured at a beauty salon. An inexperienced operator accidentally cut the back of her neck.

jeffro02
12/22/12 9:05 am

This requirement is so stupid. On the order of the end of the world stupid. If I want to cut hair, I should be able to. If I do a crappy job since I received no training, no one comes back. Very simple.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/22/12 8:28 am

Lib. Its not just the cut. There's a lot in training. Cleanness counts too.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/22/12 8:25 am

I miss read it. Yes. There is a beauty college a block away. Those people go through a lot of training. I think it's a law here.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/22/12 7:42 am

I don't think it should be required, but I think there should be a certification available and they should be able to advertise that they have it. But this is not a big deal to me. There are plenty of other regulations that are much harder on the economy than this one.

GrandmaALiCE
12/22/12 7:38 am

Maybe, Tony should have made it more clear in the question, that this is the law already in all states.

GrandmaALiCE
12/22/12 7:35 am

Super, I understand that the numbers had not yet settled, when you wrote your comment. But, why did you refer to Democrats in your comment? It isn't related to either party. As mentioned in later comments, ALL states have this now. I was only agreeing that I like it the way it is now.

GrandmaALiCE
12/22/12 7:30 am

I don't understand why this is being seen (by some) as a "Democrat" issue. EVERY state has this requirement; it has been this way for a long time. My beautician (of about 40 years) has always had to keep her certificate up to date. It has nothing to do with either political party.

TheAntiLib Dutchess County, NY
12/22/12 7:22 am

I believe that most states require licensing

gtgconfused
12/22/12 5:05 am

A good cosmetologist has been able to steer their clients towards medical help, ie: thyroid condition. It's surprising how much your hair can reveal. In some states, continuing Ed & license renewal can be done online, so anyone can take it for you. Honesty is best policy.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/22/12 1:28 am

permit? Do they have those? we've had the same stylist cutting our hair in my family for as long as I remember and I know I can trust her. not to brag, but my hair doesn't need a lot of work done to it, so I'm not fussy. it looks awesome as is; don't need to color it and I just do some layers/bangs.

Liberty2016
12/21/12 10:24 pm

But working with electricity is harmful. If you get a bad hair cut guess what? You can go to a real hair salon and get it fixed.

supereliguy Andromeda
12/21/12 10:19 pm

I wouldn't, but I don't think it should be a requirement for the business. That's my point.

supereliguy Andromeda
12/21/12 10:18 pm

The numbers had not yet settled when I made my comment, I wasn't referring to thins question as being a polarized one, and you can choose to go to a certified salon if you choose. I don't believe the government should be able to prevent someone who wants to open a business. You can go elsewhere.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/21/12 9:49 pm

presleyc5 I'm not a conservative, but wouldn't want taxes to pay except what's necessary to protect health and safety. I see the rest as up to the industry. Proving you can work safely is pertinent. Beyond that, if you're not good at your job, regardless of training, you won't get much business.

brinrawson Knoxville and DC
12/21/12 9:47 pm

Some Democrats just like some Republicans and just just some people in every party.

FastFusion nj
12/21/12 9:29 pm

Yes - just like plumbers and electricians and contractors it proves you have the knowledge of the trade your doing and your held accountable if your a major screw up. Then the permit or license could be revoked so you can't do that type of work legally again.

FastFusion nj
12/21/12 9:24 pm

Yes - so the license could be taken away if your a major screw up.