Shazam February 15th, 2019 5:04am

Twitter Inspired: Trump declaring an emergency is catastrophic for the right. If it's killed in the courts, it's the end of the wall. If it wins, a similar national emergency tactic will be used by the DNC for gun control & climate change.

KojimaStudios
02/15/19 9:20 pm

Gotta vote in the negative on this one. Having this shut down in court is part of the plan so the GOP can justify failing to deliver and fire up the base who will blame "liberal activist judges". Trump doesn't care either way so long as he saves face.

02/15/19 9:26 pm

I actually think how this will play out is the HoR votes a resolution to cancel it, a fee GOPers are permitted to vote with them in the Senate and it's killed. Trump will veto it, and then we'll see if 2/3rds line up to overturn. If not, the HoR will start to talk about impeachment.

NDAmerican Florida
02/15/19 5:56 pm

True, but the left's version would likely fail at the high Court. Whereas Trump's wall has a 50-50 chance of being upheld by the Supreme Court.

02/15/19 6:33 pm

Depends on what the action sought is though right? Forcing payment for the CDC to fit research and make clear recommendations for example would go through. So would a requirement for all mfgs of mil equipment to only sell "smart weapons" to civilians or lose contacts. Right now, Congress wild have to approve the latter. An emergency could be declared to force the issue.

My bet is that Trump's won't hit the courts. NP will challenge it in the HoR, which forces Mitch to take it up in the Senate. He'll permit a few GOPers to jump ship and that ends that.

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
02/15/19 12:44 pm

You have a constitutional right to not having walls?

Also, climate change is not a clear and present danger

02/15/19 3:44 pm

Yep. we have a constitutional right to have the money we as taxpayers allocated by the State Representatives we elected to serve in the house. Trump is attempting to circumvent that right and the importance of the people's vote. So the answer is yes. We DO have a right to not have a wall.

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
02/15/19 4:10 pm

Well, based on this article, keeping DACA for the next 10 years will cost taxpayers 26 billion dollars according to the congressional budget office. DACA was an executive order. Do I have a constitutional right to not have DACA too because Obama circumvented congress since congress wouldn’t pass DACA, and instead, he made it an executive order?

nypost.com/2017/12/16/keeping-dreamers-would-cost-taxpayers-26b-over-next-decade-cbo/

02/15/19 6:36 pm

EOs are a power granted to the POTUS by Congressional law. They can however be overturned by the next POTUS, or a law passed that specifically addressed the EO. So nope. Seeing and a miss.

Mattwall1
02/15/19 9:28 am

It’s not necessarily the end for the wall, although it would make it much less likely prior to 2021 barring another form of executive action. A successful attempt at instituting a national emergency over a piece of domestic agenda like this absolutely would be used by future Democrats (and future Republicans). If that happens... alea iacta est.

02/15/19 3:21 pm

Holy yellow bird Batman! How the hell Greece you been Matt?

Mattwall1
02/15/19 8:56 pm

I’ve been ok overall. How’s everything been with you?

02/16/19 8:23 am

Some great, some not. Getting married in a few months which is definitely in the first category!

02/16/19 8:51 am

You're a senior this year right? Going straight to grad school?

Mattwall1
02/16/19 10:31 am

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! I am a senior but I added a certificate (and an extra year with it). After that, probably grad school.

02/16/19 10:44 am

That's awesome! What did you end up majoring in? Have your picked what you want your PhD to be in yet?

Mattwall1
02/16/19 6:01 pm

Political Science and ultimately something in that field but the speciality will honestly probably depend on where I can get in.

rons Thanks America
02/15/19 7:12 am

Will the dnc send in troops to take you guns? Will the DNC send in plumbers to convert you heating and hot water systems?

raidadave Washington
02/15/19 9:48 am

Lol. Jokes. You can bet that the next Dem president would use this tactic in a manner that Republicans will regret.

xtarite
02/15/19 6:33 am

This national emergency declaration will be challenged in court and the SCOTUS will allow it since this is 100% legal. Taking everyone’s guns is 100% Illegal and therefore would not make it through

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
02/15/19 7:42 am

No elected Democrat wants to take away everyone's guns.

xtarite
02/15/19 7:43 am

😂😂 keep drinking the koolaide man, keep drinking it.

02/15/19 3:45 pm

THAT: Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush.

chinito Florida
02/16/19 5:41 am

Xtarite, forget about gun control for a second. Imagine a Democrat president saying that there’s a women’s health crisis and they appropriate money and give it to Planned Parenthood. You see how this could come to bite Republicans on the ass?

ozzy
02/15/19 6:31 am

Nope.

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 5:39 am

Is it Democrats use President Trump's National Emergency as precedence, it justifies President Trump's previous action.
If the Democratic party stands on President Trump's National Emergency as this does not fly if that is their narrative they are hypocrites if they use it later.

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 5:40 am

Shaz you are not wrong, unfortunately you are always the Looney.

02/15/19 3:44 pm

ROBERT - can't argue with truth.

Malekithe My pronouns are GFY
02/15/19 5:03 am

What makes anyone think radical Democrats will not do this whether Trump does it first or not.

TomM
02/15/19 3:13 am

I agree. It's a terrible move. It's just like when Harry Reid changed senate voting rules, it came right back to hit the Dems.

ozzy
02/15/19 6:32 am

Except that it has been used this way before. No precedent is being set.

Rem: Obama: I have a phone and a pen

raidadave Washington
02/15/19 9:50 am

It has not been used like this before. That is the point.

ozzy
02/15/19 12:21 pm

Yes it has

02/15/19 3:49 pm

OZ - I missed that. Could you shoot me a link where Obama declared a national emergency to use funds in a way opposed by the duly elected members of the HoR? What happened in the court challenges? Did they rule the could use any party of the budget as he saw fit?

I'll hang out here and wait. I really seen to have missed this one!

02/15/19 8:55 pm

Shoot! I got tied up doing other stuff. Did I miss the links @OZZY ?

chairsbed
02/16/19 12:56 am

@ozzy there is a clear distinction

ozzy
02/16/19 6:49 am

I answered this elsewhere 3 times already. Everything in his second term. Remember Obama never passed a budget in 8 years. That was his trick

02/16/19 9:18 pm

OZ - Presidents don't pass budgets. The House and Senate do. I may be wrong, but o think the last full budget with all appropriations happened in 2009.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
02/14/19 11:25 pm

If the Dems got too radical with national emergency declarations, example gun control, they would risk starting a civil war.

geddy Colorado
02/15/19 12:15 am

Should the Democrats threaten a civil war every time the Republicans get too radical?

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
02/15/19 12:53 am

Sure, and see how far that gets them. Afraid of guns and most people against them...good luck.

voc I am...what I am
02/15/19 6:23 am

Lol! It seriously cracks me up when I see republicans thinking dems don’t own guns.

raidadave Washington
02/15/19 9:51 am

Lol. Naive. You dont think Dems have guns?

Wino I need a drink
02/15/19 11:57 am

I know more than a few Dems with safely locked gun closets. Just because they believe in gun control (the same kind the NRA used to support decades ago), doesn’t mean they don’t like or own guns.

voc I am...what I am
02/15/19 12:16 pm

Exactly. Thank you wino.

02/15/19 3:54 pm

4B - not only do Dems have guns, most Americans regardless of political party would support emergency action taken to eliminate mass murders like Vegas.

I think what might happen is the Godfearinlibertylovinradicalizedconservatives would try to declare a civil war, and no one would show up.

Kinda like that "American Spring" fiasco where millions were going to DC to overthrow BO....and dozens made the trip.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
02/15/19 9:33 pm

So, you Dems would surrender your guns if one of yours as president would order it? Ok...

chairsbed
02/16/19 1:12 am

The only politician I have heard suggesting taking someone’s guns away without process is trump

time.com/5184160/trump-guns-due-process/

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
02/16/19 1:20 am

Hillary and Obama supported a mandatory gun buyback Australian style.

raidadave Washington
02/16/19 9:10 am

Wouldn't happen. No Dems would demand guns. That is propaganda from the radical right.

chairsbed
02/14/19 11:06 pm

I’m guessing it will be hard to assert emergency given the facts and his actions. But I wonder if the trump shutdown will be looked at by historians as the beginning of crack in his base

chinito Florida
02/16/19 5:37 am

His approval ratings are going up so I don’t think so

suppressedID suck it Kyle
02/14/19 10:45 pm

I’ll trade a wall for real environmental protection and substantive gun control. 👍🏻

TomM
02/15/19 3:14 am

I will trade no wall for no gun control.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
02/15/19 7:44 am

I'm with Tom, but I would love investment in green energy. I'm watching China rebuild bus infrastructure in a number of Latin American cities to be fully electric buses. While I think it's great, I'm surprised more Americans aren't concerned about how failure to lead against climate change will make the US more and more obsolete against the rise of China