If your child has/had a deadly food allergy, would you consider Oral ImmunoTherapy (OIT) to help your child become desensitized to the allergy? Update on my son in comments.
For those who voted no, care to share why you chose no?
An allergy is a vulnerability.
Always negate vulnerabilities when possible.
And that is what we did.
Cpa, that's such great news. I'm glad he's doing well on the treatment. That must be such a relief to you all. I'd never heard of it before now but I'd think this is great news for many with potentially deadly allergies. Thank you for sharing and please take care. 😊
It is a relief. Plus, I want to get the word out there so other people know about it.
That's very nice of you. Life-threatening allergies are awful and I'm so glad you put this information out. Thank you again.
Very interesting reading below. Thank you for sharing with us. I’d heard of this treatment and wondered how successful it might be. It’s truly great to hear how well it’s working out. Very uplifting.
This treatment works wonders.
I had never heard of this treatment before.
Neither had I. I’m happy that it exists.
I’m very happy for you and your family, cpa.
That is great news!
I know. The early doses were scary. It got better once he started eating the nuts.
I wonder how many kids with allergies like this were brought up on formula instead of breast milk.
My friends son has a severe peanut allergy. He was breastfed. I’m not sure the correlation is valid.
Everyone we know who has a kid with food allergies was on formula. Our son who was breastfed, has no food allergies so far.
Right now, research is suggesting that the overuse of antibiotics is the likely cause of increased allergies.
My son had ear infections shortly after being born.
I’d lean more toward the antibiotics theory. My son was primarily breastfed and my daughter was primarily formula fed and neither have any allergies. My mother in law used to tell me that breastfeeding would strengthen the immune system. My son is sick more often than my daughter. I don’t think we can draw that correlation.
My son was formula fed (not by choice).
I had to supplement formula with the first because of low production and the second...I actually supplemented breast milk for the second because I produced even less. Truly a defeated feeling.
Sounds like he’s made great progress, and that the inconvenience and effort (and probably terrifying moments) has been worth it. And will be even more so for the rest of his life, if the tolerance he builds up as a kid holds.
That is what we are hoping for.
All food decisions from 3 months old to a few weeks ago were driven by his allergies.
@WorstGooEver be sure to read my comments in this poll. Once your son is able to effectively communicate verbally (around 4 years old), you can consider OIT. I hope that you find an allergist that does it.
Wow, good memory! This is definitely something we want to look into.
I cheated. I remembered someone else made a poll about a peanut allergy. I had to look it up. Once I found your poll, I knew I had to tag you.
I was actually allergic to dairy for 13 years and my parents just completely cut milk and all other dairy products out of my diet and replaced it with soy and almond milk... Now, I can have anything I want and drink a glass a milk without vomiting or fearing that my throat may close.
That is awesome!!!
Oh good luck. I hope his allergies go away as he gets older like my cousin who was allergic to a lot of foods.
Did you read all of my comments below? I finished them.
To clarify my cousin was allergic to not only nuts but she couldn’t eat a lot of meats and cheeses and other ingredients. Her allergies were so bad that her mother bought a sliver so she was certain no other foods came into contact with it. She was about 9 when she got better. Now she eats everything. I’m happy for your son.
Absolutely! It’s done wonders for my best friend’s son. A peanut is no longer gonna kill him.
That is the point that we are at now.
It was amazing to find out that he could have foods that are cross contaminated with foods that he is allergic too.
As you may or may not know, my son was diagnosed with a peanut allergy shortly after he was born (about 3 months after). Also, he was diagnosed with a tree nut allergy. When he was 3, we did another prick test and he developed an asthma flare just from the test. From this point on, the allergist would only do blood tests.
We did challenges on cashews (which he passed) and walnuts (which he failed and had a reaction). The blood tests also revealed an allergy to pecans and Brazil nuts.
Back in May we started OIT for both walnuts and peanuts. We were able to go for a month or so until we had to stop due to my son throwing up 12-15 hours after his dose. We had to have a GI consult.
At the GI consult, we were told to start giving Prevacid in the morning to settle his stomach. Once we did that, we restarted OIT in July.
During OIT, he was initially given micro doses of each allergen. We gave him doses during the week and his doses were increased every week at the allergists office. After a few months, he started eating actual peanuts and walnuts in small doses.
For walnuts, the doses increased to 20 grams. And, there was a challenge where he had to eat 40 grams. Once he passed, he is now doing a maintenance dose of 16 grams per day.
For peanuts, he was increased to 9.5 grams (about 10 peanuts) today. Next week, he will be increased to 12 grams. After that, he will be doing a challenge of 25 grams which is the equivalent of a peanut butter sandwich.
Once he passes the challenge (which is expected), he will be on a maintenance dose. This also means that he can eat peanuts freely
Even if he fails the challenge, we won’t have to worry about any type of cross contamination. Right now, we don’t need to worry about it.
One thing about doing OIT is that he has to be inactive for the next 2 hours. This means that he can’t do anything that would increase his body temperature or heart rate because of the risk of a reaction. For a kid, this is like torture.
For now, he will need to be on maintenance doses for the next 3-5 years. Also, he still needs to have an EpiPen handy.
This treatment is truly life changing.
I’m glad it seems to be working.
It is working wonders!!!
Very interesting indeed!!
It is. I wouldn’t have known about it if my wife didn’t look it up. She is a nurse.
I’m so happy this is making a difference. Poor little guy has been through a lot. He’s fortunate to have great parents.
It has made a huge difference!
How in the world do you keep him inactive for two hours? How old is he?
GA, he is 6.
Usually, he ate his nuts on the way home from school. That is a 45 minute car ride. Once he is about halfway done with his dose, we start the clock. So, he gets 15-30 minutes of “boring time” in the car. At home, he does his homework. That is another 15-30 minutes. Then, we either have dinner or we let him watch TV or use a tablet until the 2 hours is up.
Whenever we catch him doing anything that could cause a reaction, we say that it is boring time. He usually stops.
Great! Your son sounds very self-disciplined, for a six year old.
I’m really happy this treatment is helping him.
His school is 45 minutes away and he has homework? Wow!
Snagglepuss, his daycare/kindergarten is at my wife’s work. It made things easier. That is why it is so far away.
GA, we explained to him what was going to happen and how long it was expected to last.
Oh, that makes sense. What kind of homework does a 6 year old have?
“GA, we explained to him what was going to happen and how long it was expected to last.”
And, I’m guessing, the long-term benefits, as well.
He reads a 15-20 page book every M-Th during the school week.
Also, he could have a few other things like additional reading or being given a list of 8 words and having to create 1 or 2 sentences.
GA, without a doubt he knows the benefits.
Once we were able to not worry about cross contamination with peanuts anymore, we took him to Costco for their frozen yogurt which he loved.
A 15 to 20 page book, creating sentences. Man things are different from when I was 6.
Don’t get crazy about the length of the book. There are usually 1-3 lines per page. Most sentences in the books are 6 words or less.
I get that but still I don’t remember reading until the second grade. I never had homework until the fourth grade.
And I’ll bet he’s still at the stage where he thinks it’s fun.
Learning should always be fun. It’s sad that after kids get older, somehow this gets lost. I’m not sure why.
I always loved school but homework has taken over the fun of learning.
Great news cpa. Good luck 🍀👍🏻
Snagglepuss, I remember being able to read some time in the first grade. I also remember that I wasn’t put in the better readers until it was my turn to read part of a textbook in class.
My son doesn’t mind the homework.
GA, he still thinks homework is fun. It doesn’t take him long.
Ebola, do you normally see patients with allergies?
CPA, I work in urgent care now so I don’t follow patients with allergies. I see acute allergic reactions fairly often.