CoffeeNow February 14th, 2019 2:43pm

Would you support a constitutional amendment to make property ownership LEGAL in the United States? Details in comments

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
02/14/19 4:47 pm

No. What we need is to eliminate property tax.

FarmerManE djent
02/14/19 3:32 pm

At the end of the day the government owns the land, you're buying the right to use it. Government maintains the right to tax it.
Besides, if you obolish property tax, they'll find a way to get that money elsewhere. You can't escape taxation

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/14/19 4:46 pm

I agree, but the purpose of this is not to escape taxation. I agree they’ll make it up elsewhere

FarmerManE djent
02/14/19 5:09 pm

So you just don't like the principle of paying tax on something you already own?
Thats understandable.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/14/19 5:18 pm

And I want to know that I’ll never be forced off my land because some senator decided it would be a great spot for a shopping mall

FarmerManE djent
02/14/19 5:25 pm

Ya im not a big fan of emminant domain either.

Robert01 existentialist
02/14/19 11:23 am

Just abolish property tax...

dirkdd
02/14/19 8:57 am

Just because you pay property tax doesn’t mean you don’t own the land. If it’s a eminent domain issue, that’s different and I don’t think your definition of “ownership” would matter.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/14/19 9:22 am

“Just because you pay property tax doesn’t mean you don’t own the land”

That’s exactly what it means. If you possess something but have to pay me a fee, forever, whether you want to or not, cannot buy me out, and if you stop paying I take it back, you don’t own it. I own it.

omniku dot com
02/14/19 9:30 am

isn’t the issue one of sovereignty?… would the owner still have to obey the laws of the United States or could they build a pedophilia brothel on their land?

(Before the smartass and/or outraged replies start, I’m playing devils advocate here NOT suggesting anyone do this or saying I want to do this myself.)

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/14/19 10:39 am

They would still have to obey laws of the US, although 99.99% wouldn’t apply anyway. But yeah you couldn’t declare yourself your own country. That kind of stuff would roll up to the state level

Liberty 4,032,064
02/14/19 11:02 am

Yeah, renting and owning are two very different things. That should’ve been pretty obvious.

omniku dot com
02/14/19 1:27 pm

But I’m saying I think this is why you have to pay property tax. The word “real” in “real estate” is from the Spanish word for “royal”... you’re paying property tax because although you own the land you’re still a subject of the state.

In the US, there’s no federal property tax. It all happens at the local or state level. Hawaii has the lowest the rate at 0.28%. I assume it‘s be possible for a state/municipality to revoke/suspend property taxes, but I’m not sure if it’s ever been done.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/14/19 2:54 pm

You cannot own the land if you have to pay rent for it for eternity

Want to keep the system? Stop the government from saying we own the land. Pedantic? Sure. But stop pretending we can own land. I own my toothbrush. I cannot own land

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/14/19 7:45 am

In addition to buying the house and the land “lease” from the last owner you’d pay $x dollars to the government for the ACTUAL ownership rights to the land.

This means you would not pay property tax on this property ever. You could not be eminent domained. You could contract sewer, water and trash services with the city or a private company on your own. You would truly own the property forever

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/14/19 8:01 am

Note this would be optional. You could continue the same deal you have today if you want and lease your property from the government