Brandon2018 February 13th, 2019 3:11pm

White people: would you date a black person if you had a lot in common? Black people: would you date a white person if you had a lot in common?

GlockMan1 Alabama
02/14/19 9:25 am

I would date “Candace Owens”.

LazySteelworker USA
02/14/19 2:51 am

If not then I'd have to question why I'm dating in the first place...

HoosierFan
02/14/19 6:51 am

I hope you’d question more than that.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/13/19 10:30 pm

Yes. A guy asked me out yesterday after my husband did. We were in the same class. He was a really nice guy

HBNY this space for rent
02/13/19 8:43 pm

Sure.
But every single boyfriend I’ve had was white and non-practicing Catholic. Probably just coincidence.

02/13/19 5:54 pm

If you said no, you’re racist.

Robert01 existentialist
02/14/19 6:54 am

Maybe ?
But in this instance racism isnt a bad thing. It's just a thing.

02/14/19 3:05 pm

No I’d say it is a bad thing.

02/14/19 4:35 pm

Yes but I’m saying it is a bad thing.

Robert01 existentialist
02/14/19 4:41 pm

Oh I miss read my bad.

How is that a bad thing to have a preference and what you like in a sexual partner? These aren't things a person can choose about themselves.

Racism is Prejudice based on race no more no less. If you are not sexually attracted to black men because they are black then yes it's racist but it's not a bad thing you can't control who you are sexually attracted to.

02/14/19 4:49 pm

So to be clear you would only date someone who you were sexually attracted to?

02/15/19 9:06 am

Okay I mean personally I don’t find sexual attraction, at least initially, to be an absolute requirement. I mean revulsion is a no but just a lack of attraction I feel can be overcome with time.

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 9:59 am

Okay I'm confused. Where do you stand on this Issue?

02/15/19 11:11 am

In my personal opinion immediate sexual attraction should not be a requirement for dating. I can understand immediate revulsion being a no go but a lack of sexual attraction in my opinion is a situation that can change over time and so should not count as a negative when considering a potential significant other it should simply be neutral.

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 11:17 am

It is simply natural I agree, however a person's attraction is their business.
It's natural either way whether they find somebody attractive and date them or vice versa.

Racism is a word that means things much like any other words and if the race of the person change with your decision to date them then it is racist by definition it doesn't mean it's inherently a bad thing.

02/15/19 11:48 am

I mean I would argue that if a persons skin color causes you to be less attracted to them then there is an issue.

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 12:02 pm

I dont see it as an issue at all, it's just a thing.

I can see you are kinda struggling with labeling something as racist, because of the negative ramifications that you hold to the word. But it's not like that. Prejudice based on race isnt inherently right or wrong. Racism is just a term to describe such events.

02/15/19 12:37 pm

Just stopping in to say koro is utterly insane. Your sexual preferences are not a problem

02/15/19 12:51 pm

I Robert here’s how I see it. I don’t think that precluding the possibility of sexual attraction to someone of another race can happen unless you hold deeply negative racist feelings towards people of that race. Therefore I think by necessity if you think “I won’t date someone who is a different race than me because I won’t be sexually attracted to them you are a racist. And I personally would say racism is negative in all cases.

Coffee I have no clue what you are talking about or why you choose to butt in to a conversation without adding anything meaningful.

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 1:03 pm

There's nothing wrong with being racist it becomes a problem when you try to force other people into your own thought pattern.

02/15/19 1:09 pm

I think my contribution was meaningful

02/15/19 1:11 pm

Robert, one thing I learned about koro is he doesn’t understand nuance. He gets his opinions from talking points and you really can’t discuss deeper than that. It’s all black and white, good or bad, etc

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 1:16 pm

Koro is s dude?

02/15/19 1:34 pm

In my mind he’s androgynous, like It’s Pat. I think being one sex or the other might be sexist or racist

02/15/19 1:50 pm

Okay one I’m a dude yes. Two Coffee there are issues that are black and white, there are issues where there are shades of gray. Also simply stating and defending my opinion doesn’t mean I’m viewing an issue as black and white.

In theory yes if one person is racist and never does anything about it or let’s it influence any of their decisions then their private opinions are not truly an issue. But that’s a fantasy world.

And seriously are you going to say “racism is bad” is a reductionist black and white view of an issue? I mean how to deal with racism is worth discussion and there’s gray area, what qualifies as racism is worthy of discussion and is a gray area. Hell this conversation has been a discussion of what qualifies as racism. However racism is bad is a pretty non-controversial viewpoint.

02/15/19 1:52 pm

I mean seriously coffee you hop in here in a discussion that’s been going on completely reasonably and is a simple back and forth and make idiotic accusations saying “oh no you shouldn’t talk with him I don’t think his viewpoints are thought out” do you not see how much of an ass that makes you?

02/15/19 2:12 pm

I never said he shouldn’t talk to you. Don’t put words in my mouth bud

And yes, there’s nothing wrong with sexual attractions, just because they hurt your delicate SJW sensibilities

02/15/19 3:31 pm

I didn’t say that there was something wrong with it that’s you putting words in my mouth.

I said that I don’t believe that it is necessary for a relationship to start. I also said that if your sexual attraction is based on race then I think that you by necessity are a racist. Seriously you are the one trying to put this in black and white terms.

02/15/19 3:42 pm

You said it’s a bad thing and it’s racist, and said all racism is wrong

So yeah, you did

02/15/19 3:47 pm

Yeah I stated my opinion on the topic that’s how conversation happens. Saying “You’re putting things in black and white terms” when I state my opinion on a topic is just trying to derail the conversation. As for racism being bad yes, it is.

02/15/19 3:49 pm

You’re indicting someone for something they don’t even have control over (their sexual preference), something you have in common with the anti gay crowd, but I’m guessing the irony is lost on you

02/15/19 3:53 pm

Coffee I’m saying I cannot conceive of a non-racist person who thinks that it is impossible for them to be attracted to someone of a different race. If you believe that is untrue then you should give an explanation for how instead of trying to compare a gay man to homophobes.

I’ll say it’s interesting you use that as your example because anyone who thinks that the difference between black and white people is similar to the difference between men and women strikes me as a bit racist although I’ll admit I believe that it is unintentional on your part.

02/15/19 3:58 pm

“Coffee I’m saying I cannot conceive of a non-racist person who thinks that it is impossible for them to be attracted to someone of a different race”

That’s because it IS racist. But it’s also fine

02/15/19 3:59 pm

...did you just call me racist for pointing out the irony of you having certain bigotry in common with the anti gay crowd? Truly amazing how your mind works

02/15/19 4:02 pm

A lack of attraction to another race due to racism is theoretically not an issue but being a racist is an issue. That is what I’m saying. If your racism is limited to “not being attracted to other races” then that would be okay if not a good thing but it will never be limited to that. The racism will exist in other aspect of your life as well and that’s where the issue lies.

02/15/19 4:03 pm

Sounds like you pulled that out of the deepest recesses of your ass

02/15/19 4:06 pm

Coffee let’s go through as simply as possible. Do you believe that it is possible to be racist in only a single aspect of their life? That someone can be unquestionably racist in only one aspect and have it not affect them in any other way?

02/15/19 4:27 pm

Well I don’t. I believe that if someone is racist in one aspect of their life then that can’t help but be translated into other aspects even if it is not intentional.

02/15/19 4:28 pm

Really? Everyone? And you base this on what?

02/15/19 4:31 pm

My personal experience and the personal experience of others that I have read and watched. Racism isn’t all confederate flags and screaming. It’s also assumptions, biases, and patterns of thought that combine to negatively effect people of color.

02/15/19 4:37 pm

So you’ve conducted deep psychological surveys with how many people exactly? I mean it’s like you said, it’s not all overt (and no, a flag isn’t racist you child). So how many deep interviews have you done to flesh out someone’s deepest racial preferences and cross referenced them with other hidden racial preferences?

02/15/19 4:37 pm

Is it literally zero? I bet it’s literally zero

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 4:39 pm

Really?
People can do actions that are racist in result but not racist in intention people can do racist things without being a racist.

It's really odd-
and it must tie to something about you seeing racism as always a bad thing - that you would also assume that that part would meld itself into somewhere else in their life.

02/15/19 4:39 pm

And once again. Seriously Coffee please learn how to argue in good faith like Robert. Until then you make your own ideas come of poorly to everyone around you and stop real discussion from happening.

02/15/19 4:43 pm

Well Robert here’s how I see it.

If you answered no to this poll that means you have actually thought about this question. If you haven’t given this question thought then you would answer yes. So that leaves two possibilities you either have a reason or you don’t. If you have a reason that reason will obviously color your reactions attitudes and interaction with people of color in obvious ways and therefore would be a part of your life outside of this scenario. If you don’t have a reason that means you don’t understand your own feelings towards people of other races and dislike them without a clear reason. This means that you have subconscious biases which will impact your actions regardless of if you want them to or not.

02/15/19 4:47 pm

“you don’t understand your own feelings towards people of other races”

😂 this guy...I swear...

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 4:51 pm

But we are talking about attraction in this poll?
Attraction is not a choice.
If person a has never been attracted to a race it is reasonable for that person to say I'm not going to be attracted to any ' insert race here' person. That's not to say they won't be that's to say they don't think they will be.

By definition its racism.
As racism is strictly Prejudice based on race. This is something a person cannot control and I would not consider it a bad thing.

Robert01 existentialist
02/15/19 4:52 pm

This question like you said above is not black and white it is Shades of Grey yet you want to simplify the yes or no as Yes means this and no means that.
Obviously that isn't the case as we both probably voted yes and have completely different answers.

02/15/19 4:52 pm

I mean I’d argue that there is no one who on a basic level is unable to be attracted to someone of another race and in order to think that you basically need to be tricking yourself.

02/15/19 5:04 pm

I’m guessing koro has no evidence that people can change their sexual preferences to satisfy koros will

Koro maybe they should be sent to a re-education camp until they get the right preferences

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
02/13/19 5:07 pm

Hmmm.... I’m not white or black...

presrvd Phoenix
02/13/19 3:18 pm

I have, many moons ago. Currently, I would not. I highly doubt the wife would approve...

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
02/13/19 12:56 pm

Sick to death of the "skin tone/color" application, my heart is blind.....it is the spirit and character that my heart yearns for.....Two that complete and beat as One.....

azsageguy
02/18/19 3:44 pm

👏👏👏

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
02/13/19 12:51 pm

I haven’t.....but would for sure. I dated several Asian women before Mrs Squid....they were far more common where I lived.

CarolusRex1697 Gott mit uns
02/13/19 12:34 pm

I dont know, I personally dont find them attractive. I mean sometimes I see some that ate attractive, but most are not.

TwinJefe Pacific Northwest
02/13/19 10:54 am

The party results for this poll are interesting.

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
02/13/19 10:30 am

I’d ask what the equivalent would be for me but I don’t care about what their race or ethnicity would be.

HelloThere12345 Utah
02/13/19 9:45 am

I'm a white man who married a black woman

Texas1 did not proofread
02/13/19 9:30 am

Hell, I wouldn’t have to “have a lot in common” but my wife would probably kill me. Not joking, she’s got guns!

02/13/19 8:37 am

What if we’re not white or black?

voc I am...what I am
02/13/19 8:35 pm

Are you chartreuse?

MrsCrayonWax
02/14/19 1:59 pm

We just have to keep a mental image going of what coffee really looks like. I started the rumor that he was black.

voc I am...what I am
02/14/19 2:01 pm

I think he’d Mexican or Chinese or Hawaiian

02/14/19 4:43 pm

It depends what race I identify as that day

Is that even a real color? I’ve never heard it used outside the context of a lure.

MrsCrayonWax
02/14/19 4:46 pm

Well if you’re a fisher of me , you could be an Israeli.

MrsCrayonWax