GeezerGolf February 12th, 2019 5:27pm

The ultimate goal of all practical philosophy & religion is to become able to distinguish between those two great cosmic substances; Shit and Shinola, and to help us to willingly choose the Shinola over the Shit.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/12/19 3:17 pm

The ultimate goal of practical philosophy, maybe. Of religion? Nope. In fact, it’s the opposite.

GeezerGolf LetsGoBrandon
02/12/19 3:30 pm

Can you expound on that idea, I’m not sure I’m understanding you.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/12/19 4:02 pm

Practical philosophy includes decision theory, which involves determining the difference between Shit and Shinola, and acting accordingly. Religion, on the other hand, involves disguising nothing but thin air and Shit as Shinola in an attempt to subjugate the masses. By dazzling them with BS, as it were.

GeezerGolf LetsGoBrandon
02/12/19 4:10 pm

You are taking it from a different point of view. Thanks for clarifying.
My reference to philosophy& religion was vague, I admit. More specifically I meant what has been called the perennial philosophy or at times esoteric religion. Neither of which has as its aim power and control. Those are the aims of ideologies.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
02/12/19 12:12 pm

Oops, you let your inner curmudgeon out! Lol.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/12/19 11:13 am

We all aspire to shiny shoes!

GeezerGolf LetsGoBrandon
02/12/19 11:16 am

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.....

Camano WA
02/12/19 11:06 am

Sounds like a McKenna quote lol.

Camano WA
02/12/19 11:19 am

Terrance McKenna was a famous Ethnobotanist, writer, and lecturer who frequently discussed philosophy and religion. He talked about "distinguishing shit from shinola" on a number of occasions.

GeezerGolf LetsGoBrandon
02/12/19 11:24 am

OK, didn’t know that. It is the one thing that I have come to after 73 years. It is the synthesis of all that I’ve encountered. It may not be right but, there it is.

Camano WA
02/12/19 11:36 am

I'd say it's a pretty solid conclusion. Every ideology exists to reduce the number of weighted decisions we have to make on a daily basis. If your belief tells you that in all situations where X is true, Y is Shinola and Z is shit, then you no longer have to decide for yourself which is which every single time it comes up. Philosophy and religion are literally programming.

GeezerGolf LetsGoBrandon
02/12/19 3:37 pm

How fascinating. I have come to quite the opposite conclusion!

GeezerGolf LetsGoBrandon
02/12/19 3:40 pm

I was not referring to ideologies, but to true philosophy. Ideology is the opposite.