John81 February 12th, 2019 7:44am

Should elected officials be required to submit to a polygraph test before they are allowed to take office? (To determine if they have the character and integrity to do the job) (so they don’t steal, to prevent treason, etc)

HBNY this space for rent
02/12/19 5:40 pm

Polygraph tests can be beaten. And they’re not admissible as evidence.

presrvd Phoenix
02/12/19 3:08 pm

If they’re anything like other federal jobs, they are given a polygraph if they’re put on a committee or something that involves national security and/or sensitive data analysis.

MoOoOoOse A Demagogic Country
02/12/19 11:27 am

Polygraphs are just to give a general idea, it isn’t evidence

GeezerGolf Fuck Joe Biden
02/12/19 10:55 am

If we can’t tell the difference between Shit & Shinola with our natural faculties, then we deserve what we get.

Negamu be gay, do crime
02/12/19 7:20 am

Polygraph tests are extremely unreliable.

Jazzy5 USA
02/12/19 7:11 am

No. Should you take one, when you apply for a job? Goes both ways!

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
02/12/19 6:53 am

No....couple reasons. 1. A large number of politicians are sociopaths (both parties) and lie with confidence. They could effortlessly cheat a lie detector. 2. For the ones that aren’t good enough to beat it....they would denounce lie detector tests and their base would still believe them. There are no principles in partisan politics. Pointless test.

Ebola007 Florida
02/12/19 5:05 am

No. I don’t trust lie detector tests.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
02/12/19 5:04 am

I had to have the routine Counterintelligence Poly for my job (basic trustworthiness test) ...just to have access to a small part of our Government’s organizational knowledge. That should be a given.

However, the ability to corrupt and influence a politician (or political influencer) by exploitation of their dirty little secrets is a clear and present danger and a confirmed threat to our democracy: so it’s full Lifestyle Polygraph examinations for all the politicos!!! 😎

John81 Narnia
02/12/19 1:36 am

I.e.: Polygraph analyst: Are you working with any foreign governments blah blah blah

Candidate: No

Polygraph machine: blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and skin conductivity all significantly above the established baseline indicating deception

Wert A picture of my junk
02/12/19 1:19 am

Polygraphs don’t work like that. They don’t actually detect character or even lies. They are an interrogation and intimidation technique.

John81 Narnia
02/12/19 1:26 am

I did not say the polygraph detects character or lies (straw man fallacy). I’m suggesting the information collected from the polygraph be used to determine a candidate’s character and integrity via asking him/her a series of questions.

Wert A picture of my junk
02/12/19 1:30 am

“I did not say the polygraph detects character or lies (straw man fallacy). “

And the. You say...
“I’m suggesting the information collected from the polygraph be used to determine a candidate’s character and integrity via asking him/her a series of questions.”

🥴

John81 Narnia
02/12/19 1:42 am

Gotta work on those reading comprehension/ critical thinking skills buddy I’m not gna spoon feed it to you

Wert A picture of my junk
02/12/19 1:51 am

You said you aren’t suggesting using it to determine integrity or character, and then say you would use it to determine integrity and character.

I’m mainly giving you crap. However, I think you should think about your own wording. You’re contradicting yourself.

For the record, which kind of polygraph are you thinking of? The machine, or the questionnaire assessment style? The QA style actually does a better job of doing what you suggest, though they are still estimates and not at all definitive.

I still say no, as polygraphs are garbage science.

John81 Narnia
02/12/19 1:56 am

You’re reading comprehension skill are garbage and you constantly attack straw mans. Not sure if you’re trolling or just dumb.