outlaw393 Buck Fiden
02/12/19 12:45 pm

Not if they are raised right.

But that's every breed of dog.

clmcd42 Texas
02/12/19 10:07 am

Not inherently so. But they are strong and can definitely be very dangerous

apparition Tacoma
02/12/19 9:53 am

I knew of one young Florida woman that had her pit pull maul and kill her 2 year old boy while she was away shopping. My father also had one but it didn’t like anyone but him. I don’t really care for pit bulls as they do prove themselves to be unstable and dangerous.

Brrrrrrrrr
02/12/19 6:50 am

The belief that pit bulls aren’t a particularly dangerous race is so absurd that it gives us a glimpse into the human psyche.
There is no political or religious angle to it, so it’s not any bias or prejudice that leads to this false belief. What it is, is just the need some people have to believe things they know are incorrect.
If you notice, 3rd worlders don’t generally believe such tripe, even though they are less intelligent than 1st worlders. My theory is that the human is built to struggle. So when his life is relatively free of struggle (as it would be in the 1st world), he must invent something to struggle with. And believing stupid things is one of his sources of struggle.

SoCalGal
02/11/19 11:07 pm

My pit bull mix has never bitten anyone, but my Doxie mix has...once.
The pit bull is 80 lbs and sounds frightening when she barks, but will flip on her back for tummy scratches when people come in.

chairsbed
02/11/19 9:45 pm

I have an Aussie who has been a little off since we got him at 10 weeks. Predictably very smart we can teach him anything with a few tries. But he is very insecure. We tried so hard to socialize him from the time he was three months we took him everywhere. He goes to class once a week and loves it (for several years now). When he was 2 he had an incident and he has only gotten worse since then. If we have guests and he does not like their shoes he does not trust them. So I get the argument it’s the owners, but I have tried so many things and I still can not trust him

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/11/19 8:43 pm

No just bad owners

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
02/11/19 8:05 pm

Potentially extremely dangerous...those jaws.

TheRightHook PureBluntForceTrauma
02/11/19 8:33 pm

Interesting....pits jaws are less powerful than that of a rottweiler, and a German shepherd. No, they cannot lock their jaws. Some studies suggest a doberman has more powerful jaws than a pit. Either way, any dog latches on you could be in a real world of hurt.

Jazzy5 USA
02/11/19 6:49 pm

For the most part, yes. However, in the right hands they can be good dogs that need supervision.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
02/11/19 6:42 pm

The are one of the most dangerous. A chihuahua is vicious and most likely to bite even though they are not raised to be aggressive. If a Pit decides to bite you it won’t matter how it was raised. Animals can and will do what they are designed for.

TheRightHook PureBluntForceTrauma
02/11/19 8:30 pm

So is a doberman. And I've had them all my life of 50 years. Dogs can all be dangerous. Not as dangerous as humans..
Dobermans rank in the top 5 most dangerous dogs, top five best family dogs, top 5 best guard dogs, top 5 most intelligent dog, top 5 most trainable dogs.
With that said, I have 3 daughters under 8. They've been around a big red, a black and tan and fawn dobermans and not once was there a doubt that my children weren't safe.
It's the owner, not the dogs.
So for you ignorant morons who claim they're vicious evil dogs go pound sand. You know squat about dogs.
I also have a 80lb bully pit that is equally wonderful around my kids.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
02/12/19 7:32 am

When a dog is built to do bodily harm in the worst way, it makes them dangerous. Animals may never intend to harm even when they do. Guard dogs are bred to protect the family, so are Mastiff’s,, Pitts are not. Do you really think your dog wouldn’t attack someone trying to hurt your kid?

oOrangeMan Massachusetts
02/11/19 6:17 pm

I've never been around one so idk. I've had boxers and one Shih Tzu. My next dog will be a adoption or a Border Collie.

Kay41 the Midwest
02/11/19 6:04 pm

Yes, for sure. I've seen it in action from a put bull that was not raised aggressively. It just turned.

Wert A picture of my junk
02/11/19 5:53 pm

They are powerful dogs. So, when mistreated, cornered or otherwise threatened, they can do a lot of damage. But, they are extremely good animals and great companions.

omniku dot com
02/11/19 5:51 pm

You’re thinking of dingos

historylover
02/11/19 5:28 pm

It’s bad owners, not bad dogs. My brother had a pit bull that he got as a puppy. Lambert was a sweet dog. He never hurt anyone. People who participate in dog fighting and other forms of animal cruelty and abuse should be punished severely. They are despicable people. Anyone who can treat animals like crap is capable of doing the same to people.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
02/11/19 6:46 pm

If it was how a dog was treated then Chihuahua’s wouldn’t be aggressive. All dogs are good, all dogs can be dangerous. It just varies on how much damage they can do if they decide to.

orgblu10 Shamerica
02/11/19 5:01 pm

I'm a dog lover, and I've met some sweet pit bulls. But too many of them are trained to be hyper aggressive, that I don't trust them. It's probably more the fault of the owner than the dog.

Izzynius