JulesVerne February 9th, 2019 11:20pm

Without looking it up, are you familiar with Richard Feynman?

susanr Colorado
02/26/19 10:15 am

How the heck did I miss *this* poll? Oh, I know... I was on a 10-day trip at the time it was posted, and was barely on SOH at all. Even so, I looked back through your poll list the other day (and commented on some of them), but I guess I didn’t go back that far.

Heck yes I know who Richard Fenyman is. When I was a college freshman (1964-65) I had a pretty high-powered physics course. In addition to a good but standard physics text, we had Fenyman’s Lectures, Vol. 1, as a supplementary text. I can still remember enjoying his writing very much - probably the first textbook I could say that about. (Not the last, though, fortunately.) I remember one passage where he was describing the universe in a glass of wine, which he ended by saying something like, “Oh heck, just drink it!”

Over subsequent years I think I read everything he wrote - for the layperson, that is. Not other textbooks or scientific papers. Enjoyed them all.

susanr Colorado
02/26/19 10:19 am

A couple decades later (1988, I think) I was taking a college chemistry course when Feynman died. My professor (a great guy whom I liked a lot) said, “When a famous scientist dies, students get to write a paper about them and the work they did.” He said he’d give us a score of 1 to 10, not much to add to our grade so not a big deal if you bombed it.

He gave me a 25. I really couldn’t shut up about my appreciation of Feynman.

JulesVerne Live long, and prosper
02/26/19 4:01 pm

What a great story!! Feynman always knew just what to say. I wish I had even a shadow of his ability to inspire others. He was, and always will be, the world’s greatest teacher of science.

JulesVerne Live long, and prosper
02/10/19 10:06 am

Ah. If your dad is a physicist then you probably heard Feynman quotes every day!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/09/19 7:15 pm

Of course yes. "If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you don't understand it." And many others, equally as astute.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
02/10/19 8:53 am

Often, at my job, I get made fun of for explaining things in simple terms. It’s really hard!