MrPresident11 February 8th, 2019 8:40pm

America’s education system has stopped teaching American exceptionalism and that’s a big problem. Do the schools need to start teaching American exceptionalism again?

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
02/08/19 9:25 pm

Teaching about the freedoms, the power, the great people, and the great land of this country and its history. Yes that's a good thing

Zfilakas Eleftheria i Thanatos
02/08/19 7:20 pm

I’d say the only thing really exceptionally about America today is it’s incarceration rate and high number of religious zealots for a developed nation.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/08/19 6:27 pm

The ridiculous notion of American exceptionalism has been a problem since it became part of the excuse, and why is a lesson that should absolutely be taught.

MrPresident11 Reaching Moksha
02/08/19 6:29 pm

America isnt exceptional?

MrPresident11 Reaching Moksha
02/08/19 8:08 pm

What? Okay. I see, you aren’t capable of seeing your own power. You automatically put yourself “into place” you wish to be oversaw.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/08/19 8:17 pm

Even if that was translated into actual English, I doubt it would make much sense.

Robert01 existentialist
02/08/19 8:42 pm

Zod: one
President: zero

Yessy French Texan
02/08/19 6:18 pm

Ridiculous. There should be facts not try to make the Trail of Tears or U.S involvement in Vietnam, Middle East, Serbia into some huge ego boasting curriculum. The fact is that the U.S does not always have the best history when it comes to rights. And for goodness sake every country has their ups and downs in history. You can't change that. And before anybody starts commenting that I am a brainwashed, stupid liberal , let me tell you that I am none of those 3. Teachers should not be force to white out the bad parts of American history.

MrPresident11 Reaching Moksha
02/08/19 6:24 pm

Going through school, I was taught about America... but most heavily on the failures. Especially slavery, the trail of tears (and Native American “genocide”) internment camps, corruption of big businesses and politicians and on and on. I cant remember a time when I was taught, purposely, about the vast greatness of the greatest country.

Yessy French Texan
02/08/19 6:30 pm

I have no idea where you went to school but I was taught all its history and frankly there are some portions like slavery that are heavily reflected on and taught because they have high value in America history in how the end of those eras and the revolutionary figures of that era lead to an extension of freedom and rights. That era of slavery can be taught to be good and bad. The bad was slavery itself but emphasising the figures who lead the cause against it portrays the good attributes.

MrPresident11 Reaching Moksha
02/08/19 6:35 pm

How old are you? I’m seventeen so if you’re older, the schooling you received was probably different from mine. Plus, I went to school in New York

Yessy French Texan
02/08/19 6:41 pm

I'm 18. I learned American history first in French International School, then British International School, and then in Texas schooling. All three had pretty fair historic perspectives. We covered all topics equally besides the last few decades which were rush to try to finish the curriculum on time.

MrPresident11 Reaching Moksha
02/08/19 6:44 pm

You learned in France?

The other points here: Texas is very pro-America and their schools teach more American exceptionalism (I know because I went to school in Texas for 3 years)

LibArtie SW Connecticut
02/08/19 5:15 pm

Americans are exceptionally stupid.

Metamorphosis
02/08/19 2:49 pm

On the contrary, we have taught our children too much about how exceptional America is and it has hurt our image around the world.
We are a great country who has done some truly awful things and caused great suffering at times.
American history, above all else, should be honest and truthful about everything we have done so well and everything we have done wrong. The truth will set us free and make us a better nation.

Talren Libertarian Socialist
02/08/19 2:47 pm

Why on earth would you want schools teaching an ideology? School should just teach you the facts, not interpretations of those facts.

MrPresident11 Reaching Moksha
02/08/19 2:49 pm

It is a fact that America is exceptional

Talren Libertarian Socialist
02/08/19 2:54 pm

No, it is not. It is an opinion.

MrPresident11 Reaching Moksha
02/08/19 2:59 pm

If you’re stupid then I guess

LibArtie SW Connecticut
02/08/19 5:16 pm

Americans are exceptionally stupid.

Patricio18
02/08/19 11:15 pm

Lol the only thing that makes us great is our military and money. Even though we use and waste both of them🙄 so in actuality not really. But im sure if we collapse soon these other countries will enjoy our fall from grace and i wont say i can blame them for doing so for how idiotic, arrogant, and ignorant we’ve been for so long.

zimmy Florida
02/08/19 2:18 pm

Yes! And civics! We need to know how our government works!

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/08/19 2:03 pm

Yes. Although there are still many teachers teaching that America is exceptional in a positive way, there needs to be many more. The America is evil mentality has gained too much of a foothold in public education.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
02/08/19 2:27 pm

Also known as the “yes, America has made mistakes and we shouldn’t just ignore them” mentality.

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/08/19 2:35 pm

Nobody is saying America is perfect but that is a far cry from the great satan the left makes us out to be.

Robert01 existentialist
02/08/19 2:26 pm

So you want the government to teach its people that our country is great?

So propaganda you're in favor of propaganda....

Why does this have to be so black-and-white why can't we just teach the truth...