BamaGirl February 7th, 2019 11:07pm

Why does scratching an itch feel so incredibly good? (Even when you know you shouldn’t scratch it)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/07/19 9:52 pm

You're stimulating the pain receptors in the skin, which temporarily silences (or overrides) the itch signals that are being sent to the brain. So, in this case, two "wrongs" can indeed make a "right."

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
02/07/19 8:02 pm

@susanr - this is the poll that I was talking about. I got a notification about Jarod‘s comment, but not any of the subsequent comments.

susanr Colorado
02/07/19 8:10 pm

I got the notification for this one. And also one for a reply to a comment that I just made in another poll.

You could try sending a reply to my reply, just to be sure.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
02/07/19 8:35 pm

I got your notification for this one and the ones for the other poll... it must have been a brief outage. Thanks.

jarod California
02/07/19 4:13 pm

“Scratching blocks the itching sensation. The pain that is accompanied by scratching manages to temporarily distract the brain from the itch. These pain signals are transmitted to the brain by nerve cells”

Ebola007 Florida
02/07/19 4:19 pm

This ☝🏻

TierasPet
02/07/19 5:24 pm

I agree.

DonWichita Kansas
02/07/19 5:46 pm

I agree scratching distracts the brain, but why does it feel so good ?
“𝐇𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬,” 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐎𝐠𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐍𝐚𝐬𝐡, “𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡”.
𝕯𝖔𝖓𝖂𝖎𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖙𝖆.

hvp828 Carolina girl
02/07/19 6:13 pm

In addition, the pain signals that are sent to the brain causes serotonin to be released. Serotonin regulates mood & well-being. Thereby, scratching an itch results in a release of serotonin resulting in feelings of happiness.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/19 6:13 pm

These synapses cause the release of serotonin in mice. This is most likely the case in humans too. Serotonin makes us...(class?) HAPPY!!!

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/19 6:17 pm

Just remember that petit morts are so wonderful because your sympathetic and parasympathetic systems fire simultaneously. 😮

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
02/07/19 6:27 pm

Dio!!! 😂 I almost said that the scratching can ALMOST reach that level!!! 🙈

😉😘😍

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
02/07/19 4:08 pm

I am truly curious about this! I have some skin that is healing from a rash and even though I know I should not scratch it sometimes the urge becomes overwhelming and it feels so amazing & I know it’s been that way all of my life, so I want to know why!