SticksandStones February 5th, 2019 5:30pm

I'm going to study abroad this semester. For those who have studied abroad before, any tips on what to bring with, what I should buy there right away, what to do about my cellphone, etc.?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/06/19 12:15 pm

Take a plug adapter. Most places are not on American wattage. That’s the most important thing.

Take a notebook.

Take a language translator or a smartphone app.

Take a slim wallet you can carry in your front pocket or breast pocket, to avoid pickpockets.

Any home you go to for the first time, take a gift.

Take a pair of house shoes (only worn in the house, never outside)

......

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/06/19 12:26 pm

Oh and don’t say they are a part of Russia, they are not, nor say they are Eastern European, they are not and most people can speak several languages, including English. Many also speak Russian too.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
02/06/19 1:24 pm

Thanks! I've heard it's in bad taste to call Poland part of Eastern Europe, I'll have to avoid that.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/06/19 2:33 pm

They REALLY hate that. They don’t like being reminded that many Poles actually helped the Nazis round up the Jews either.mHistory is being re-written there on purpose. Don’t correct them, just let it slide.
They have serious issues (and rightly so) to what happened to them before and after the great patriotic war. First the Nazis made their lives unbearable and then when salvation finally came, it came from Stalin and the Soviets. They went from the frying pan, if not into the fire, into just another, slightly different, frying pan. Yet, they were super hospitable to us and very polite when we have been there.

Like us though, they are very superstitious. Don’t enter a home without taking off your shoes first. Don’t give flowers in even numbers. Don’t shake hands or hug with someone before you enter the home (in the doorway). You have to be asked in, enter and then shake hands or hug and then remove your shoes, then hand them a gift you have taken to them.

.........

PB246new California
02/06/19 12:43 am

Take/buy these things for Poland/ study abroad:
-Shoes you are very comfortable walking in
-A few printed out photos of loved ones to put up in your new place
-A journal— even if you only write in it a few times, it’ll be an exciting time in your life that will be nice to have a few memories written down later in life
- keep some extra money around in case of emergency
- write down a few phone numbers in case

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
02/06/19 1:22 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'm finally starting to pack everything now, so I have to make sure I have all of that.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
02/05/19 2:16 pm

I'll be going to Poland.

Survivalistien I am Green and Retired
02/05/19 2:50 pm

Okay so wall socket is similar to EU style of sockets. The drive on same side as us and the Americans. Cellphone plan I do not know. Your flat probably will have private WiFi. For my cell phone I have plan for unlimited and I can travel to America and etc but it’s like 30 hyrvnia more.

Survivalistien I am Green and Retired
02/05/19 2:52 pm

Also pretty sure they use Krona as currency.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
02/05/19 2:58 pm

I believe Poland uses złoty. Are there certain companies that I should buy a sim card from? I've been told not to buy them at airports. Also is the wifi kind of slow? Or does it depend on the specific area?

Regardless, thank you for all of the information!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/06/19 12:24 pm

Zloty is the currency and yes, Poland is EU plug style, meaning you need at least one adaptor if you are traveling from the US.

Don’t carry a lot of cash on you.

Older men will kiss you on the hand. It’s a thing....just go with it.

Take clothes like you were living in IL. Cold winters, killer summers.

Don’t turn down second helpings. It’s considered rude.

Cafeteria style restaurants are called milk bars. The food is good though.

......

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
02/06/19 1:21 pm

They'll kiss my hand even if I'm a male? Haha

I've heard of milk bars. They're the communist style places, right? I'll have to check those out, they sound interesting.

Survivalistien I am Green and Retired
02/06/19 2:07 pm

I’d rather have my hand kissed than having my ass kissed like most Americans do.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/06/19 2:19 pm

Shut up Stein! Lol

No, I forgot you were male. They kissed my mom’s hand there. She said she felt like a queen lol. Then my father burst her bubble by saying “technically, you are not supposed to touch the queen since we are peasants” (clearly talking about the British queen) and my mom said “she probably would have rather had her hand kissed than a bullet in the head” (obviously talking about the last Russian czarina). Honestly, they have conversations like this all the time....they are talking about two different things. 😂😂😂😂😂.

.......

redblue152
02/05/19 1:01 pm

Get a new SIM card there. I’d recommend having your phone unlocked before you leave the US though. You don’t want to run into any unnecessary complications when you get there.

Also keep in mind that European outlets have a higher voltage than US outlets. Check what voltage any electronic items you want to bring with you can take. If they can’t take 230 V, they will break if you try to use them in Poland.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
02/05/19 2:16 pm

Thank you, I didn't know about the voltage thing. I think I'm only bringing my laptop, phone, iPad, and electric razor as far as electronics, so I'll check them all.

Are there any items that tend to have this problem more than others?

redblue152
02/05/19 4:42 pm

In my experience, small electronic items, particularly bathroom items like toothbrushes and hairdryers.

You can check the plug of the item to see what voltage it’s able to take.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
02/05/19 11:50 am

Make sure you bring electric plug adapters. The plugs are often different in other countries.

UniversePlan Michigan
02/05/19 10:40 am

This user is currently being ignored

voc I am...what I am
02/05/19 10:39 am

Do you already have the broad you’re going to study picked out?

Binoculars, video cameras, night vision goggles, lock pick all are helpful when studying a broad.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/05/19 10:42 am

You clearly know your stuff. I respect that

voc I am...what I am
02/05/19 10:56 am

I’ve been stal...I mean studying broads for quite a while.

presrvd Phoenix
02/05/19 11:41 am

No chloroform, or is that more for lab studying....?

presrvd Phoenix
02/05/19 11:43 am

....that might’ve triggered someone.....

voc I am...what I am
02/05/19 11:45 am

Dude what’s wrong with you?? I’m just talking about a simple stalking here, maybe break in with a panty sniff, naked shower pics etc. you took that waaaaay too far.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/05/19 11:50 am

The chloroformers give the panty sniffers a bad name. Smh

voc I am...what I am
02/05/19 11:50 am

Right?? Man I tell ya.

presrvd Phoenix
02/05/19 11:51 am

Prevents getting tazed, though. =P

voc I am...what I am
02/05/19 11:55 am

If you’re getting tazed you’re doing it wrong

presrvd Phoenix
02/05/19 11:57 am

That’s the story of my life. It’s like getting owned by the panty’s owner’s chihuahua.....

But that never happened to me.....

AZlass Phoenix
02/05/19 10:37 am

Most important - an open heart and mind.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
02/05/19 10:31 am

I was planning on getting a sim card for my phone and calling my carrier to unlock it, but I'm not sure if that's the best option.

Also I'll be studying in Poland if that changes anything.