Wert February 4th, 2019 6:21am

Have you ever started taking an over the counter or prescription drug to alleviate some problem and wished you never did?

TierasPet
02/04/19 3:16 pm

I tried several rounds of allergy pills that were over the counter and all of them made me extremely sick. As for prescription drugs, the side effects of a few have been far worse than the original problem so I stopped taking them.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/04/19 12:18 pm

Not OTC, that I remember, but I have had a few prescriptions that caused side effects that were worse than the initial complaint. Way worse. I decline those now.

MrMilkdud
02/04/19 6:28 am

I’ve been taking tamiflu for 2 days. I’m ready to stop because that “vivid dreams” side effect might just be worse than the flu.

MrMilkdud
02/04/19 1:20 pm

No- I meant to, but I’ve had colds on and off all winter and every time I went they told me I had to wait until I was completely over the last bug.

mark4
02/04/19 6:24 am

An antibiotic that isn't effective for me.

catpillow Florida West Coast
02/04/19 6:13 am

The the first blood pressure medication I ever took caused me to cough. I was up all night coughing for three months until my next appointment. It was an ACE inhibitor, but I don’t recall which one.

katerina13 stuck in the middle
02/04/19 12:46 pm

You’re not the first person I’ve heard of that had the coughing side effect from them. I’m sure it’s annoying as hell.

catpillow Florida West Coast
02/04/19 3:04 pm

It was awful. I assumed that it was my asthma being triggered by cold winter weather and just let it go.

katerina13 stuck in the middle
02/04/19 3:13 pm

Yes, that’s happened to me as well. Makes it harder to identify the real problem.

Ebola007 Florida
02/04/19 2:49 am

Wow. I can only see 3 of 15 comments. Must be a lot of snowflakes out.

Yes, I wished I’d never had the problem that required me to take the medicine.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/04/19 6:16 am

Snagglepuss probably has you on ignore. She started a thread with 13 comments in it, where she’s talking to wert and imanag.

It’s a strange feature of ignore on this app. If the person who *starts* a thread has you on ignore, the *entire* thread is invisible to you.

mark4
02/04/19 6:25 am

I see 7 out of 20.
Tch tch.

MrMilkdud
02/04/19 6:27 am

I can only see two others posted before yours, too!
We must scare the same people!

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/04/19 6:33 am

It’s too bad, because the conversation that snagglepuss started below has an interesting discussion of pharmaceutical side effects. She must have all of you on ignore.

I hate the way this app implements ignore, where the entire thread goes away.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/04/19 6:35 am

I’m done with her and feel better for it but I can see all of you.

Ebola007 Florida
02/04/19 8:38 am

Yes. @snagglepuss has me on ignore.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/04/19 12:05 pm

Snaggs “knows” everything in her own bubble. She probably put Ebola on ignore in an argument over her vast knowledge of biology and chemistry.

Ebola007 Florida
02/04/19 12:20 pm

Lol. She doesn’t know what she doesn’t know.

katerina13 stuck in the middle
02/04/19 12:50 pm

I had this happen with twinjefe. He put me on ignore, bc I said that we have early voting for 2 wks that includes wknds where you can vote at any polling site. He wanted to know where I lived as proof. I wouldn’t tell him, and he couldn’t verify it on the internet, so he thought I was lying and put me on ignore. Why would I need to lie about such a thing? I kept getting notifications of comments to the thread, but I couldn’t see any of them.

Ebola007 Florida
02/04/19 1:08 pm

@TwinJefe has me on ignore also. He doesn’t respond well to facts.

missmorganmarie ...
02/10/19 6:57 pm

snaggle has me on ignore too 😂

katerina13 stuck in the middle
02/10/19 8:03 pm

Snag, wert and imanag don’t have me on ignore, but some people apparently do, bc I definitely can’t see all of the comments in this thread. I don’t put anyone on official ‘ignore.’ I just ignore them the old fashioned way. Lol!

theNobamist Silicon Valley
02/04/19 2:18 am

I was taking naprosyn for for tendon pain.
Watch out! After two days, you'll be corked up till you explode.

Timber
02/03/19 11:37 pm

No, remember ya'll. Most medicine alleviate symptoms but don't fix the problem.

Wert A picture of my junk
02/03/19 11:26 pm

Lol. Yes.. I’m fine and didn’t mean to alarm anyone. I didn’t even think about that aspect of my poll...

All good, here.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/03/19 11:25 pm

I hope you’re OK!

Wert A picture of my junk
02/03/19 11:27 pm

All good, here.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/03/19 11:28 pm

Whew! I was wondering what made you ask that?!? 😺

Wert A picture of my junk
02/03/19 11:34 pm

Background info...

A few months ago I started taking Nexium to deal with acid reflux. While it did, at first, seem to work, I continued using it. As time went on, I started to notice a lot of joint aches. Eventually, my back and joints became so bad I could barely, and didn’t want to, move. That lead to extreme cramping. Then my kidneys began to ache. It dawned on me that the only thing I had changed was the Nexium, which by the way, wasn’t really working for the acid reflux, anymore. I stopped taking it and within a couple days started noticing improvement. It’s taken a month and I’m finally getting close to normal. In the meantime, I did some research on it and found many people suffer the same side effects I had.

So, I wanted to post a poll to see if anyone else had any similar experience with any drug.

imanag My heaven on Earth
02/03/19 11:36 pm

Way to scare a girl! Whoa! I’m very glad that you’re okay. I hope that whatever is ailing you won’t bother you for much longer and that you can get some rest.

To answer your question, I regret the one time I took Advil PM to get some sleep. It wired me for almost 24 hours. I was so jacked up that people wondered if I’d decided to start mainlining coffee overnight. Never again.

Wert A picture of my junk
02/03/19 11:42 pm

I really apologize for alarming you.

Thanks for the well wishes. It has been very challenging to get any rest with this going on. But I’m on the mend, I think.

I posted the short “I’m okay” response separately because I didn’t want people worrying while I make a prolonged explanation.

Wert A picture of my junk
02/03/19 11:44 pm

I should have added to the poll, “for it’s intended use”. That may have prevented the red flags.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/04/19 12:48 am

I was on Nexium when it was a prescription. Then my doctor switched me to omeprazole because it’s cheaper. I’ve never had any side effects but that sounds miserable.

A while ago I was working part time assembling automobile fasteners for Saturn cars. I was concerned about sitting so much so I tried Venistat. It’s supposed to help leg circulation from sitting long hours while working. Well it had horse chestnut in it which is a blood thinner. I didn’t know and I stopped getting my period. Then I started hemorrhaging and had to go to the ER. Basically my uterus became a huge clot and I passed it. It was awful! I couldn’t keep anything down from the pain and nausea. They had to start an IV to help me recuperate.

...

snagglepuss Story Time
02/04/19 12:49 am

Then Zi had to go on hormone therapy and had a biopsy of my uterus to make sure I didn’t have cancer. All from a stupid supplement. Never again!

snagglepuss Story Time
02/04/19 12:49 am

I not Zi lol

Wert A picture of my junk
02/04/19 1:17 am

Yikes. That sounds horrible. I’m sorry you had to go through all that.

I’m actually surprised I went on the Nexium the way I did. My general policy is, any new drug has to be on the market for at least 10 years without any class action suits before I even consider taking it, and then only after researching it. Interestingly, not many new drugs make it the 10 years without class action suits. Amazingly, many of them stay on the market even after paying out large sums in damages. Weird.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/04/19 2:04 am

I learned my lesson. I talk to my pharmacist before I take anything. He knows what I’m taking and if it’s safe.

imanag My heaven on Earth
02/04/19 6:02 am

Oh my goodness!! That’s terrifying! Thank heavens for pharmacists who know what they’re talking about.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/04/19 6:07 am

That’s for sure!

katerina13 stuck in the middle
02/04/19 12:41 pm

Damn, snag, that’s awful. Hate that happened to you. Glad you’re better, too, wert. I take omeprazole, too. Have no choice. If I didn’t, heartburn would kill me.