Praetorianus February 4th, 2019 3:08am

Does the Bible condemn abortion? A link with verses included.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
02/03/19 11:01 pm

How the hell could the Bible condemn something that hadn’t even been invented?

I’m not actually looking for an answer, btw. I couldn’t care less what the Bible says, TBH.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/19 11:58 pm

In biblical times, abortion *was* adressed.
The original hippocratic oath :

abort73.com/abortion/abortion_and_the_hippocratic_oath/

Liberty 4,032,064
02/04/19 8:57 am

What do you mean “something that hadn’t been invented?”

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
02/04/19 10:56 am

To my knowledge, the Bible was written before doctors had the ability to vacuum pregnancy out of the womb.

That said, let me be clear, once again, that I could not possibly care less what the Bible may or may not say on the topic. We’re discussing two things that I care so little about, it’s not even funny.

MrMilkdud
02/04/19 8:19 pm

There are lots of forms of abortion- cuttage and vacuums aren’t the only way by a long shot. Abortion by a large variety of methods has been recorded all over the world for thousands of years.
The earliest recorded descriptions of abortion in Egypt go back to 1500BC- and that lines right up with when the ancient Israelites would have been there.
The Hebrews were definitely aware of it—and they rejected it. That’s partly why they have so many references to God knowing us in the womb.
But they were more concerned with infant and child sacrifice, which was more common than abortion in that region at that time.

Liberty 4,032,064
02/04/19 9:33 pm

I mean, the Bible was also written before nuclear missiles, but that doesn’t mean that it’s any less wrong to nuke someone than it is to stab them with a sword.

MrMilkdud
02/04/19 9:34 pm

That is true

Liberty 4,032,064
02/04/19 9:35 pm

To make it even simpler, “thou shalt not murder” just refers to the act of murder and makes no distinction as to the methods or tools/weapons used.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/03/19 9:41 pm

Exodus 21:22-25
22. And should men quarrel and hit a pregnant woman, and she miscarries but there is no fatality, he shall surely be punished, when the woman's husband makes demands of him, and he shall give [restitution] according to the judges' [orders]. 23. But if there is a fatality, you shall give a life for a life, 24. an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a hand for a hand, a foot for a foot. 25. a burn for a burn, a wound for a wound, a bruise for a bruise.

It’s clear in this passage that a miscarriage is worth a fine but a life is worth a life.

...

snagglepuss Story Time
02/03/19 9:43 pm

Genesis 2:7
the Bible states that life begins at birth, declaring that God "breathed into his [Adam's] nostrils the soul of life, and man became a living soul." The verse implies that until Adam took his first breath he was not considered a living being.

...

snagglepuss Story Time
02/03/19 9:46 pm

You can scout the entire bible and you will not fine one word describing a woman being condemned for terminating her pregnancy.

The constitution protects us from religious views creating policy for a reason.

...

omniku dot com
02/04/19 6:05 pm

Wow, snaggle. That’s an impressive analysis!

Survivalistien I am Green and Retired
02/03/19 9:21 pm

Explicitly no, but to kill another human is sin. Same with War it’s all sin.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
02/04/19 5:37 am

Murder is a sin. There is a time for killing.

leilu SoCal
02/03/19 8:53 pm

Jeremiah 1:4-5 was included in today's readings!

Wino I need a drink
02/03/19 8:47 pm

Numbers 5
“20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”— 21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse[d] among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. 22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

Ummm...God is actually mandating an abortion here so....

There are other passages a well. I guess the lesson is the Bible is not a place to seek medical advice.

TheMusicMan Community not Capital
02/03/19 9:41 pm

@adman4285 and @lcamino seem to be immune to logic and irony since they're cherry picking and claiming that these verses are false (down below where I brought it up too)

adman4285
02/04/19 12:44 pm

Don’t tell me I cherry picked this verse. It was you the brought up the specific verse in questions which means you cherry picked it. I am a Christian but I do not use the Bible to make arguments. I also don’t force my faith on anyone. I will however challenge someone who tries to do so without even trying to understand the underlying message.

raidadave Washington
02/03/19 8:40 pm

So you are saying that the bible is a governing document of the United States?!?! The US Constitution says not.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/19 8:41 pm

I'm not claiming anything like this.

Think Lovin Life
02/03/19 8:43 pm

Raid ... facts are hard for you, aren’t they!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 8:48 pm

Raid, nowhere does his poll question intimate that. Here it is again for you. It’s very straightforward.

Does the Bible condemn abortion? A link with verses included.

So, what is your opinion, Raid....does the Bible condemn it or not? That’s all you have to answer concerning this poll.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/19 8:52 pm

And (see far below) it's not about a border wall either 😉

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 9:02 pm

A border wall? You’ve GOT to be kidding me. I’ve got to see this. Heading there now! LOL

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 9:03 pm

There must be someone that has me on ignore. I’m not seeing that, Praet.

raidadave Washington
02/03/19 9:10 pm

Yes, but there is a reason that it was posted. If you dont think there were alterior motives in posting it, you are lying.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 9:12 pm

Do you mean ULTERIOR motives? If so, do tell us what they were.

raidadave Washington
02/03/19 9:21 pm

Yes. Spell check got me.

And are you kidding?! Abortion is just a wedge issue. That's it. You can't be so dense that you dont think this is a political based question. Religion has no place in our government.

raidadave Washington
02/03/19 9:22 pm

So you are saying it is a governing document then.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 9:45 pm

Raid, I see that you haven’t posted a pic poll, only have 3 followers, only follow 4 people, and have done 0 polls. So you probably don’t realize that we debate Biblical topics a LOT on SoH.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 9:45 pm

I meant a profile pic, sorry.

raidadave Washington
02/03/19 9:53 pm

I'm saying that it is more than ironic that this is a topic with the current news cycle.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 9:58 pm

Whenever there are things in the news, it always brings up things like this about the Bible, especially for Christians. The same thing could be said about other topics, like gay marriage, transgenders, etc. In fact, there was a poll today about the Bible and transgenders, but I can’t remember who posted it.

You have to understand that for Christians, this is just natural, as ALL of our beliefs and decisions stem from what the Bible says.

Think Lovin Life
02/03/19 10:49 pm

Raid ... are you suggesting that you set aside your deeply held convictions as you attempt to understand current events? Or do you use your beliefs to put current events into proper perspective?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 10:50 pm

Good point, Think!

GlockMan1 Alabama
02/03/19 8:37 pm

Jeremiah 1:5.
The Bible considers a fetus to be an unborn child, a planned human being that God is forming from the moment of conception. This being the case, it doesn’t really matter what human jurisprudence says or how socially or politically acceptable abortion is. God’s law takes precedence. A mother who decides to abort her child is unilaterally making a decision to end another person’s life—and that is and always has been the definition of murder.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/03/19 9:56 pm

Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Job 33:4
The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Ezekiel 37:5&6
Thus saith the Lord God unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:

And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the Lord.

...

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
02/04/19 5:39 am

You speak like someone who thinks they know what God’s plan is.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 8:31 pm

💠 praetorianus asked:
02/04/2019
Does the Bible condemn abortion? A link with verses included.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 8:34 pm

Great link, Praet! Yes, of course, the Bible condemns abortion, which is the killing of THE most innocent lives there are. This link left out one very important verse.

“Thou shalt not kill.”

God makes VERY clear throughout Scripture how sacred ALL human life is! There is NO WAY that you can be a Christian (meaning that you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and aren’t just a Christian in name or because you grew up in the church) and support abortion. Here is an article I came across recently that brings that out:

www.lifenews.com/2018/07/02/christian-author-claims-to-be-pro-life-but-defends-roe-v-wade/

HBNY this space for rent
02/03/19 8:18 pm

If you support the wall, you might want to read Leviticus 19:33-34...

...unless you like to cherry pick bible verses to suit your agenda. 🙄

Whatsamattaferu 11726
02/03/19 8:18 pm

I support dumping both parties

TheMusicMan Community not Capital
02/03/19 8:21 pm

Doesn't everyone cherry pick? I wonder what @praetorianus would say to defend the biblical view on abortion from something like Numbers 5:11-31 - where there are explicitly instructions on how to perform an abortion and that it's ok to do so 🤔 or are we gonna cherry pick and say "old testament/parable/misinterpretation/stupid atheist/doesn't count"?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/19 8:22 pm

Thanks, that actually applies to me 😁

apparition Tacoma
02/03/19 8:27 pm

You sure you want all of the book of Leviticus over cherry picking? I ask because there’s 2 verses you may not like.

Lev. 18:22

Lev. 20:13

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/19 8:34 pm

You just cherry picked the verses against male homosexuality (I'm bi) but there's much more to Leviticus :
www.google.com/amp/s/www.biblegateway.com/passage/%3fsearch=Leviticus%2b20&version=NIV&interface=amp

So...?

adman4285
02/03/19 8:46 pm

Where is this verse does it say not to build a wall?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/19 8:49 pm

This poll isn't about a wall 😁😁😁

HBNY this space for rent
02/03/19 9:00 pm

My point is that people cherry pick bible verses to no end to suit their agenda. So, whatev.

adman4285
02/03/19 9:04 pm

The reference to the passage in Numbers is using the NIV translation and has be determined inaccurate.

adman4285
02/03/19 9:05 pm

This is a reply to a specific comment regarding the wall not the poll question

lcamino Florida and Georgia
02/03/19 9:34 pm

There are no instructions for abortion in Numbers 5. It’s about jealousy, and says if the woman is unfaithful her abdomen will swell and her thigh will rot.

TheMusicMan Community not Capital
02/03/19 9:38 pm

@lcamino you're telling me that vv. 21-22 AREN'T describing an abortion?

adman4285
02/03/19 10:13 pm

Only in the NIV translation of the Bible which is not accepted as an accurate translation by any Biblical scholars b

TheMusicMan Community not Capital
02/03/19 10:44 pm

Aside from proving a point that Christians will go out of their way to cherry pick something the Bible states as fact, 1) why would the NIV version still be in use and not discontinued and why is it so popular, and 2) how can it be wrong at all if it's just another interpretation of the alleged word of God? It's not the only version that so bluntly calls it out as abortion. So is every version that doesn't fit your POV wrong? What if your version is dead wrong to another denomination? (And obvious answer, what if they're all wrong? (Because they are))

HBNY this space for rent
02/03/19 10:55 pm

Re: the anti-gay Leviticus verses:

The Bible contains a lot of contradictions. How do you defend that?

Additionally, the Bible forbids a lot of things that people commonly do in this modern (and more enlightened) world.

I present to you “41 Things the Bible Condemns other than homosexuality”:

amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/2l7qh2/41_things_the_bible_condemns_other_than/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQECAEoAQ%3D%3D

The Bible really should not be taken literally.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/19 8:10 pm

Isaiah 49:15 looks like it...

adman4285
02/03/19 10:19 pm

This verse has nothing to do with this at all