qmastrangelo February 3rd, 2019 6:26pm

Last Wednesday, as Chicago experienced severe temperatures approaching -24, a Good Samaritan payed for hotel rooms for 70 homeless people. Is the media generally biased in favor of reporting on negative stories over positive ones like this?

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/03/19 10:33 pm

No, I don’t think so. I see a ton of positive news stories when I catch a glimpse, even if the negatives might stick in our heads more. I’d like to think it’s getting better. Time Magazine ran an edition with Bill Gates last year on optimism in the present times, and I really loved that issue... the media showcases both positives and negatives.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
02/03/19 7:15 pm

No. I don't usually watch cable news, but I was watching a couple days ago, and the vast majority of the stories were positive like this.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/03/19 3:43 pm

It, along with many other positive stories that also qualified as "news" was widely reported. As *news* generally is. I"m guessing many stories don’t make the cut, not because they are positive, but because they just are not noteworthy, recent, or of broad interest. In other words, they are just not *newsworthy*. They'll show up on Twitter though, if you follow the right people.

Kay41 the Midwest
02/03/19 1:42 pm

I saw this story reported a lot.

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
02/03/19 1:43 pm

In this case, I think the exception proves the rule

John1 Florida
02/03/19 12:49 pm

Negativity sells.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
02/03/19 12:20 pm

I heard this story everywhere.

And I didn’t realize that “news“ was to make you feel good.

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
02/03/19 12:25 pm

“News” shouldn’t be designed to make you feel bad either. The current slant towards the negative doesn’t reflect reality. Over the past decade throughout the world extreme poverty has gone from 21.3% to 8.6%, child mortality has gone from 5.8% to 3.9%, youth illiteracy has gone from 11.3% to 8.6%, and life expectancy has gone from 69.8 to 72.2. Life is improving for more people than ever before in history, but you wouldn’t know any of that from looking at headlines.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 6:25 pm

Well said, Angelo.....and this has gotten SO much worse under Trump. They NEVER report on the positives he does....just the negatives....and if they can’t find anything negative, they go after Melania’s choice of shoes or clothes! SMH

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
02/03/19 7:39 pm

News , by definition, is something different and - often - something bad. it’s things that are out of the ordinary. We don’t need Pollyanna “news“ telling me that the sun came up as usual. If your boy isn’t getting good news coverage, maybe it’s because he’s doing bad things.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
02/03/19 7:39 pm

And news isn’t “designed”. It’s what’s happening.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 7:43 pm

No, ID, it’s not. It’s TDS....he isn’t doing bad things...they’re just twisting the things he does. For instance, did you know that he just designated MLK’s birthplace as a National Park? I bet you didn’t hear anything about that, did you?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 7:45 pm

And it IS designed. A case in point was the clips of the Covington Kids that they later had to admit was out of context, and that they’d all been wrong to attack the kids who were NOT the instigators.

Another was the clips of Hillary Clinton, that they edited so they wouldn’t show that she said the same exact words as DJT about a bombing.

Another was a clip of a black woman who said that blacks should take violence to white neighborhoods...but they edited that part out.

If you don’t think the news is DESIGNED to try to make you believe what they want you to believe, they’ve already brainwashed you!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/03/19 8:00 pm

Do you want to read articles by LIBERALS that talk about TDS?

catpillow Florida West Coast
02/03/19 12:14 pm

If it bleeds, it leads.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/03/19 11:34 am

The media feeds on death. Just like me

qmastrangelo Pottsvegas, PA
02/03/19 11:30 am

The Good Samaritan was later revealed to be 34 year old Candice Payne, and her sterling example has inspired community efforts to provide more rooms, transportation, food, and supplies for the homeless in the city.

Though she’s gotten a large amount of media attention, and rightfully so, I can’t help but feel that the media often portrays an unnecessarily bleak picture of the state of the country and the world, because negative stories will sell better than positive ones. What do you guys think?