Cooper831 February 2nd, 2019 2:25pm

Would you consider it racist if somebody specified they are only romantically interested in a particular race and not others?

Ovix Christian Fascist
02/02/19 4:05 pm

Racism is to believe people are more like a certain way, due to their race/ethnicity/genetics. To find one’s physical appearance attractive, would not be considered racist.

liddleTrump trump is liddle
02/02/19 1:34 pm

Naw.. this isn’t something you can claim is racist. This is an example of overusing the word “racist”.

lendluke iowa
02/02/19 12:54 pm

It is you believing one/some races are more attractive than others so I guess by definition it is racism. That being said, it isn't bad to be attracted to some races over others.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
02/02/19 12:12 pm

I say no....people have their preferences. What if I preferred redheads? Or large women? What if I refused to date any woman under 6’ tall?
Kind of as an aside...my very white (adopted) Dad had a thing for darker skinned women with dark hair. That was just his ‘type.’ He instantly fell in love with my Native American mom...and asked her to marry him after 2 weeks of dating. They were married 4 months after they met....and remained married for 57 years until his death. I don’t think my Dad was racist against white women by any stretch.

HBNY this space for rent
02/02/19 11:20 am

No. Every pot has its lid. Some people are just attracted to certain types. Race doesn’t really play into it.

Wert A picture of my junk
02/02/19 11:16 am

Is it simply a case of being attracted of not to a specific trait, such as darker skin color, which wouldn’t be racist; or is it that you believe certain races are inferior, evil, deserve death, etc. That would be racist (and seriously irrational).

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/02/19 11:18 am

Technically both are racist. It also doesn’t matter

Wert A picture of my junk
02/02/19 11:21 am

While true, I think it’s over-parsing the term in this context. But, to be more precise, I was thinking of it as racist bigotry.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/02/19 10:50 am

It depends. Are they only attracted to a certain race because they feel superior to other races? If so then yes.

If it’s because they admire the culture of that particular race then no.

It depends

...

snagglepuss Story Time
02/02/19 10:52 am

I once dated a guy for a couple dates and he didn’t want to date me after he found out I had dated black men and Hispanic men.

That’s racist

snagglepuss Story Time
02/02/19 10:53 am

I have a friend that has the hots for Asian women. He thinks they are very beautiful and loves their culture. That is not racist.

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/02/19 10:36 am

Absolutely not, and we need to end this war against personal preference and expression... if I would never date a transgender person, I am not transphobic... if I don’t want to date a black person, I’m not racist. On the other hand, if I refuse to treat any black person or white person or any particular race... that’s racist. But personal preference, for who you want to be with romantically, can’t really be racist.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/02/19 10:54 am

Hello! ๐Ÿ‘‹

I’ve missed you!

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/02/19 11:12 am

Hi! I missed you too. How have you been?

I had two stomach ulcers, so I’ve been mostly off everything for the past month, but it’s going much better now, and they seem to have healed up.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/02/19 1:04 pm

I’ve been good. Thankful to survive this past week. I hate when it gets so cold!

I’m glad your ulcers are healing up. That must be miserable. Too much stress! Did Christmas push you over the edge?

...

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/02/19 1:18 pm

I know!!! This polar vortex is crazy. Glad I’m not back in New England, or even worse, in the mid-west like you are. Hope you stayed warm!

It’s funny because the ulcers did appear just after all my crazy relatives left... that definitely could’ve been an aggravating factor. It was miserable, but I’m glad to be healthy again.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/02/19 8:13 pm

I knew it was coming so I stocked up so I didn’t need anything. I only went outside to take the garbage to the curb. I bundled up like an Eskimo and went as fast as I could. It hurt to breathe!

We didn’t have any mail because the post office closed. So I didn’t need to walk to my mailbox. It felt a lot better today.

I love my family but when we all get together at a wedding, anniversary, funeral, etc I am exhausted by the end of the day.

...

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/03/19 5:34 am

That’s insae! Hope the cold never comes down here.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/03/19 5:44 am

I hope so too! I don’t mind 40’s but this below zero stuff royally sucks!

sea California
02/02/19 9:45 am

Yes, it’s racist in that specific way. By definition if you discriminate in your preference by race, it’s racist.

EarlyBird Portland
02/02/19 10:22 am

No it’s not racist. You can’t help who you’re attracted to.

sea California
02/02/19 10:42 am

That’s irrelevant. You are still choosing people based on race.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/02/19 10:59 am

I think sea is saying it’s racist but also irrelevant and fine

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/02/19 10:59 am

After reading below maybe not...

EarlyBird Portland
02/02/19 2:26 pm

sea, look at it this way.. if I’m only attracted to men with blonde hair, it doesn’t mean I don’t like men with brown hair. It means I’m not attracted to them.
Right?

zimmy Florida
02/02/19 9:29 am

Can’t help who you are attracted to!

Zach21 California
02/02/19 9:24 am

I can’t believe anyone answered yes to this.

Zach21 California
02/02/19 9:58 am

rac·ist
/หˆrฤsษ™st/Submit
noun
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

I can’t help who attracted me. If my sexual preference is to white people, that doesn’t mean I think white people are superior to every other race.

sea California
02/02/19 10:39 am

You just proved my point. Discrimination against a particular race solely because of race is racism.

sea California
02/02/19 10:41 am

It means you think white people are superior at being attractive to you. Which they are, in your example. That’s racist in that regard.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/02/19 11:00 am

I guess sea is right technically. It is racist. It’s also completely fine

Zach21 California
02/02/19 11:13 am

So according to that logic, gay people are being discriminatory and sexist to members of the opposite gender because they aren’t attracted to them.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/02/19 11:17 am

Also completely fine

Wert A picture of my junk
02/02/19 11:19 am

Sea is parsing a bit too much.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
02/02/19 11:20 am

Parsing is racist too

Zach21 California
02/02/19 11:20 am

Ok, I guess everyone is sexist except for bisexuals ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผ‍โ™‚๏ธ

sea California
02/02/19 8:23 pm

I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m just saying that it’s racist. That’s what the poll was asking.

Malekithe Hades