Praetorianus February 2nd, 2019 1:36am

Inspired by a foodbank ad called "the faces of hunger in America": when you were a child, was there always enough food on the table?

MannIsMe Did You Assume My Party
02/02/19 10:45 am

Sometimes it was pretty heavy on the rice and beans, but there was always enough.

Survivalistien I am Green and Retired
02/02/19 9:49 am

There was plenty of food. I’d like to point out how Americans help immigrants and other countries more than feeding their own.

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
02/01/19 10:46 pm

There was always enough food.
I was fortunate in the fact that my parents did their due diligence and planned (somewhat) ahead. They were not rich but we ate well, and always had an extra place at the table for childhood friends whose parents didn’t pan as well.
It taught me humility, generosity, and the value of hard work and common “cents”.

snagglepuss Story Time
02/01/19 10:30 pm

Before my Mom met my stepdad we didn’t have much. She was divorced with four kids and Dad didn’t pay child support. Mom bought Mac and Cheese with coupons for 30 cents a box.

Then on the farm we had more than enough. The deep freezer and cellar were always full.

...

thedman Free Kyle Rittenhouse
02/01/19 10:28 pm

Props to anyone in the 20% of >100k income who answered no. Worked their way up from very little.

paranoidandroid peace love science
02/01/19 9:50 pm

All filters except gender are/will be interesting.

Praetorianus In the uncanny valley
02/02/19 6:15 am

At the moment, the great lakes area has a problem 😉

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
02/01/19 9:25 pm

Yes but my parents worked multiple jobs to provide that and we fished and hunted for meat.

SoCalGal
02/01/19 8:39 pm

Raised by a single mom who never finished elementary school and had a hard time keeping a job...there were times when we didn’t have a lot of food. Cheap TV dinners, PBJ sandwiches, soup, cereal and whatever else she could come up with. Sometimes grandma would pay for groceries or the heating bill.
She never let me know how bad it was during those times. I didn’t understand until I was on my own.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/01/19 8:05 pm

Yes as a kid in my parents' home, no as a young adult just barely getting by on my own. They were the best of times, but they were often hungry times.

shygal47 Florida east coast
02/01/19 7:50 pm

Yes - my mother was very creative by the time the Depression and WWII were over. I sold the ration books and cookbooks after she passed away.

GlockMan1 Alabama
02/01/19 7:25 pm

Yes....it was only in college that RAMA NOODLES became supper. (No breakfast)

desolatia Oregon
02/01/19 6:52 pm

No, there was not.

Praetorianus In the uncanny valley
02/01/19 6:39 pm

Yes but just so. My father didn't have a lucrative job until 1979 but we still loved to fly on a vacation each year which we could ill afford, so sometimes lunch was very frugal, or soup was served so we don't eat too much of the main dish. We didn't starve but there IS a difference between full and truly sated.