TheMusicMan February 1st, 2019 10:30pm

Can you trace your family tree back to at least the 12th century?

HBNY this space for rent
02/02/19 11:27 am

I’ve traced part of my English side to the year 500. My Italian side to the 1600s. My German side to 1911. My Irish side to the 1800s.

NemoDude Dead, at this point
02/02/19 2:55 pm

Jesus Christ, how did you get to 500? All my trails run dry after the 1800’s.

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
02/02/19 6:35 pm

I think my German side goes back to 900 but takes lots of turns to Wales, Ireland, France and England. My Sicilian side goes back to the 1700s.

HBNY this space for rent
02/02/19 7:07 pm

@PepsiDude I hit English royalty. I’m descended from the English House of Wessex.

@MrsCrayonWax I can’t trace my Dad’s Sicilian very far. There are some shady things about that side of the family that I just don’t want to know about. I’m not even sure I’m my dad’s son.

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
02/02/19 7:29 pm

Same in my family!

wmorriso Indiana, US ofA
02/01/19 4:15 pm

Why would I want to?

TheMusicMan Still feeling the Bern
02/01/19 5:00 pm

Just out of curiosity and digging through history, I guess. That's why I'm digging into mine.

DarthTater Jesus Saves
02/01/19 3:56 pm

I can trace it back to the beginning of the world. Grandma: Eve, Grandpa: Adam

TheMusicMan Still feeling the Bern
02/01/19 5:00 pm

Citation and paperwork needed, plz.

mcable
02/01/19 5:26 pm

The Mormon site where a lot of the research lives actually “traces” many people back to Adam and Eve through European royalty. It is frustrating as it is hard to tell when the sources are solid (I.e. 10th great grandparents in 1600) and when it becomes bunk. At a certain point (all bunk), I found among my great great grandparents... Jesus, Adam and Eve, Roman Emperors, God and... I kid you not... “Adam’s Rib”

TheMusicMan Still feeling the Bern
02/01/19 7:39 pm

Wait, so what about all of mankind that existed before Adam and Eve? Or what about Lilith?

mcable
02/03/19 6:41 am

They use some variant of Lilith, yes. The descent to Adam and Eve is silly as there were not 2 such people that coexisted. Real scholarship of Royal bloodlines loses almost all credibility by ~600 AD, usually. Check out en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_antiquity

I actually found Arnulf, but that line was even kind of questionable.

Wert A picture of my Tit
02/01/19 3:42 pm

My family is more like a weed. We pop up everywhere you don’t want us. 🥴

Robert01 existentialist
02/01/19 3:39 pm

I can on my father's side I cannot on my mother's too much persecution throughout the years for my mother's family to keep the same name.