PamGH February 1st, 2019 10:28pm

Dumb laws like bans on plastic straws not only are pointless, they lead government to employ people to do pointless work.

shygal47 Florida east coast
02/02/19 9:43 am

Ya gotta start small in order to increase awareness of our throw-away, environmentally unconscious society.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
02/02/19 2:12 am

Hopefully this will crush the bono-tea craze.

SticksandStones Proud Prude
02/02/19 12:30 pm

Imagine feeling anger towards a beverage, haha. Who hurt you?

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/01/19 11:05 pm

Someone needs to found a political party to abolish all existing laws. It’s getting out of hand.

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 9:32 am

People need to be decent to each other without laws controlling them and punishing them if they are not. The government should not control people’s lives, people should control their own. We need a type of anarchy which thinks of all the people and treats everyone as our brother or sister.

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 9:32 am

Social justice should be carried out by the people, not by a governmental organization

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 9:33 am

Neighborhoods should unite together and neighbors should support each other against intruders.

sstein555
02/02/19 9:35 am

Idealistic and completely impractical. I’m going to go find my big strong friends and take what I want from you in that situation and there’s not a damn thing you’re going to do about it b

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 9:36 am

I’ll legalize open carry so people can protect their neighbors

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 9:37 am

Gangs are strong, but people can set up security

sstein555
02/02/19 10:44 am

You seem to fail to understand how governments emerged from gangs. I show up with fifty people armed well and take a portion of your income or you try and fight me and I kill you and take everything. Eventually I’ll just realize that I can offer you protection from other gangs for tribute of some percentage of your income. Oh that sounds an awful lot like government. I’ll start to provide things for you so that you have greater utility and thus my share of your profit increases.

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 10:50 am

Government is the reason there are homeless people. Government also restricts travel by employing TSA agents and makes the price of travel prohibitively expensive. The government even controls the television. Every time you turn it on, a million lights flash back at you telling you to buy things you don’t need. On guns, the government restricts them, but gangs will ALWAYS find a way to get guns from trading. The government can be involved with gangs but today, the government controls whether people can have or not have a gun. This violates the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms for self defense and recreation. The US government has a long list of abuses.

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 1:13 pm

Gandhi once said,
“The ideally non-violent state will be an ordered anarchy. That State is the best governed which is governed the least.”

sstein555
02/02/19 2:19 pm

Sure the us govt is not perfect. But it’s far better than the alternative. You’re forgetting about all the essential services provided by govt namely it’s protection.

thomas12466 Los Angeles
02/02/19 2:56 pm

Can’t citizens protect themselves?

sstein555
02/02/19 3:26 pm

No not everyone can protect themselves. Somehow I can’t imagine a peaceful world where everyone is walking around with AK47s and no laws.

pekin
02/01/19 6:34 pm

What government work?

PamGH Washington
02/01/19 6:51 pm

Well, if I use plastic straws who is going to investigate this crime?

theNobamist Silicon Valley
02/02/19 2:11 am

My understanding of the straw law as described to me by a local restaurant owner is that the waiter/waitress/bartender giving the straw gets a fine.
Filled courts with people fighting the fine?
But who will be the "sting"'operators ordering drinks and looking for straws?

suppressedID Honor RBGs Wish
02/01/19 6:23 pm

This is the same argument that was used when the banned DDT. Is it just “dumb“ because they are drinking straws which seemingly hurt no one?

sea California
02/02/19 6:37 am

Well that’s a good start. Personally I find it annoying that they have to force their beliefs on others.

AZlass Phoenix
02/01/19 6:18 pm

How are we going to remain “the land of the free” if we’re constantly passing laws like this in both state and federal government? You can’t be “free” in a nanny state.

Robert01 existentialist
02/01/19 3:40 pm

Wow you're on a roll today. Agreed