TopsQueen February 1st, 2019 10:12pm

I was home with a newborn, two and three year old. One hectic day I needed adult company. I told my husband I spent my day illiterates. He got very angry at me. My kids did not read or write yet. Are preschoolers illiterate?

lcamino Florida
02/02/19 5:14 pm

Yes, and it sounds like you just needed some adult time.

Wackacrat Harford County
02/02/19 4:37 am

You’re illiterate until to you’re literate.

fcdrvr
02/01/19 8:08 pm

Our son was reading fairly well at age 3-4.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/01/19 7:53 pm

Yes they are, per the definition but it appears culturally, it is used for adults who cannot read and write and should have had a chance to learn (“should have”does not mean they actually did have a chance though). Children are considered “haven’t yet learned”.

Jazzy5 USA
02/01/19 7:02 pm

Yes, it is the learning stage.

Attikai Oregon
02/01/19 6:59 pm

You were being funny. He should lighten up.

TierasPet
02/02/19 2:46 pm

I agree.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/01/19 3:17 pm

💠 TopsQueen asked:
02/01/2019

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/01/19 3:20 pm

Yes, until children learn to read, they’re illiterate.

I remember those days! I LONGED for someone that could talk about something deeper than, “I need to go potty!” LOL

I read a book about this, that told me that SAHM’s have that need at the end of the day, but that dads have a need to decompress at the end of the day. So we compromised....giving him a little time to decompress, and then he often took the kids off my hands so that I could take a bubble bath in peace, etc. We also made it a priority to try to have a date night at least twice a month and a weekend marriage get away at least once a year, if we could.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/01/19 3:59 pm

You had a good one. Mine thought he was doing a giant favor if he “babysat “. Which was rare. I finally told him If you are there when they are conceived it is not babysitting.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/01/19 4:07 pm

EXACTLY! But that was that generation! It’s getting better! I have a story and meme to do soon about this very thing! I’ll try to remember to tag you in when I do it!