RussianThunder February 1st, 2019 3:03pm

Can anyone in the medical field tell me if this is the exact way SCIg therapy is done in this country? These guys are from England. This seems different than an IV. Anyone able to shed light on this? link included. Thanks

DarthTater Jesus Saves
02/01/19 4:54 pm

Instead of the War of 1812, the War of 2019😱😱😱😱😱😱

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/01/19 3:03 pm

Hi, Martin.

Since 2005 or so (not sure of the exact date, SCIG has been approved for use in the US. This is not quite my specialty, but I’ve had patients that have had immunodeficiencies. In my experience, IVIG is used more commonly in the United States, though SCIG is catching up, and is used a lot in Europe. Subcutaneous entry, as in SCIG, means that it is not entered into a vein, but rather the subcutaneous (third) layer of skin, which is primarily composed of fatty tissue with many blood vessels in proximity. IVIG, however, is inserted directly into a vein. Both options are fine (though as always, come with risks), but I would personally rather employ the SCIG treatment, especially if it is self-administered. The only concern I can see with SCIG is patient compliance, which is always a problem... do they follow the instructions directly without my direct supervision?

Overall, SCIG seems to be safer (avoids thrombosis, lessens adverse effects), but consult your doctor.

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/01/19 3:04 pm

Feel free to send me any additional questions.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/01/19 6:13 pm

Thank you! I get IVIg at the hospital (I live down the street). I have CVID. I heard of this SCIg and it’s been mentioned by my doctor but I’m not too excited about it. That looks super complicated.

I won’t bombard you with questions. You don’t come on here to be “the doctor on call” in your off time so I appreciate you answering very much.

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/02/19 10:01 am

Wishing you the best in whichever course of treatment you decide on. 😊

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/02/19 12:06 pm

Thank you so much. I’m happy to stay with the hospital doing it. 👍🏻🏨

shygal47 Florida east coast
02/01/19 11:36 am

I’m not in the field. But I will say that it seems quite practical for persons to do at home. Time consuming but simple.

rons on top of the world MA
02/01/19 8:54 am

When I had prostate cancer I was given a hormone shot in the stomach area. It was a slow release chemical in the fatty tissue.
Later I had an implant in my arm that lasted a year.
Funny! When he filled the big syringe I thought that was the shot. I have a big syringe to inject stock and spices into my chicken before baking.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/01/19 6:16 pm

Thanks Rons. Are you healthy now? I hope so.

rons on top of the world MA
02/02/19 5:57 am

I’m fine. Just saw my urologist yesterday!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/02/19 8:09 am

Wait.....wouldn’t that be an oncologist or a gastroenterologist?