TsarMoose February 1st, 2019 6:00am

Harvard Business Review has recently found a big problem in our society! Firefighters are too white! Would you consider this a problem in our society? (link)

PyroSadist like my comments follow
02/04/19 1:06 am

Many years ago I lived in Andover Massachusetts, the town next over was Lawrence. The city of Lawrence need to hire a number of new firs fighters. In addition to training there is a test but you need to take to become a firefighter. From what I understand 70 and above is passing. The people that ran the city demanded that a certain percentage of the firefighters hired be Hispanic because Lawrence had a very large Hispanic population at the time. In order to get enough firefighters to pass they need to drop the passing score down to below 35%.

Now I ask you… do you feel safer having the best qualified firefighters available, or do you feel safer having more minorities hired simply because of their race. I'll wait for your answer while your house burns down around you.

TsarMoose A Demagogic Country
02/04/19 10:55 am

I would feel safer if they were better qualified if you were asking me, but the bottom of your question is cut off

sgkitty new york
02/01/19 12:09 pm

It is an issue in the FDNY. They are under court monitor to become more inclusive.

Crispy899 America
02/01/19 11:33 am

I just care if they know what they are doing and are capable of doing it.
What else should really matter?

Jazzy5 USA
02/01/19 8:28 am

Is that ALL HARVARD CAN COME UP WITH?
What a waste of money.
People don’t care who comes to the rescue!
As long as they come!

Crispy899 America
02/01/19 11:33 am

Kinda takes down the bragging point of i went to Harvard...

wmorriso Indiana, US ofA
02/01/19 8:20 am

Do not care about any “First Responder” ethnicity, color, religion, or any other criteria.

CoffeeNow Fiery but peaceful rioter
02/01/19 8:06 am

Hey we’ve got bigger problems to deal with right now, like Orcs in lord of the rings being racist

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
02/01/19 7:48 am

How many boxes of HBR past issues do you have stored in your credenza?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
02/01/19 5:44 am

You are about to be burned up in a blaze, is anyone going to say “No, you don’t rescue me. I need an overweight black Hispanic gay female firefighter to do it?” No. The best qualified gets the job. Black, white, Hispanic, oriental, male, female, gay, straight, Muslim, Jewish, Xian....doesn’t matter. If they can do the job the best, then it should be theirs.

SnotBubble California
02/01/19 1:11 am

Its a big problem. Black people are bigger and stronger. They would probably kick fires àss! Just like they do in all major sports.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
02/01/19 3:25 am

Yeah, but the headline would predictably be “White people propose throwing more black athletes into burning buildings!”

Ebola007 Florida
02/01/19 7:37 am

Don’t forget what a great job they would do washing them trucks!

Cooper831 Wisconsin
02/01/19 11:28 am

SuperAgain... you're right...this is a trap...

I can feel it.

historylover
02/01/19 1:09 am

I would consider it a problem if firefighters were not very good at putting out fires and rescuing people. It would be impossible for me to care any less than I do concerning what color firemen are. Much of our society has truly lost all connection with reality and common sense.

Wert A picture of my Tit
01/31/19 11:03 pm

I would think they’d at least be a bit sooty.

Ebola007 Florida
02/01/19 5:25 am

That’s what I was thinking but, unlike you, I didn’t have the courage to suggest that many white firefighters wore black face after work. 😉