TsarMoose February 1st, 2019 12:51am

If you were an employer, would you hire someone with a lengthy criminal background, but claims he/she is no longer doing dirty business?

EatMoreMeat Counting the Fallacies
02/01/19 5:41 pm

Nope. Had a former boss try to do his charity work by giving people like this second chances. Ended up biting him and his company in the ass BIG TIME.

It takes years to build a reputation, but only seconds to lose it.

shygal47 Florida east coast
02/01/19 9:15 am

Depends on what the job is, if the person is willing to work for less while on a 12-month probationary period, and if they can provide 3 references from individuals who can verify the turnaround in behavior/goals.
Basically, I would give the person a second chance but the person has to be aware that they will be closely monitored.

Panderz15
02/01/19 9:11 am

Depends on the job, allowing these people to work and become a member of society again means they need to feel valued. Throwing them on the street with nothing after serving their time is a great way to make them feel outside of society.

MannIsMe COVID Dont Surf
01/31/19 9:10 pm

Depends on the job.

LazySteelworker USA
01/31/19 8:03 pm

For me the question is too loosely worded, the idea of a lengthy background and simply taking someone's word for it no longer being the case would not be enough for me to hire them.
Now if they had some documentation and references providing that they had served their time and completed some reparations for their actions I would consider them. An additional issue would be that they would need to have a level of competency that was an advantage to other applicants that did not have their history.

TsarMoose A Demagogic Country
01/31/19 10:54 pm

Yes, in this case, he/she would have the some competency as others. The only factor that will influence the difference of hiring is their criminal history. To clarify, this person would have served his/her time, the person is not an escaped felon 😂

LazySteelworker USA
01/31/19 11:02 pm

Only having served the time might still leave some questions for me though, that's why I included the comment about reparations and references.
I would prefer that the individual had completed some community service and/or been released early for good behavior. References from a warden, guards, counselors, and probation officers would go a long way as well.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
01/31/19 7:42 pm

Yes, everyone deserves a second chance from bad decisions.

CrazDab Florida
01/31/19 6:01 pm

I might relapse over near the cash register.

HtheC South Florida
01/31/19 5:54 pm

From personal experience depends on the job but yes I'd give them an opportunity.

HtheC South Florida
01/31/19 5:55 pm

Many times people want to do good but lack of opportunities force them to go back.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
01/31/19 6:15 pm

It may also depend on the crimes.
Property crimes like fraud and theft, I'd have my druthers.
Drug problems but claims to be clean I'd give them a chance.