Shazam January 31st, 2019 2:30pm

Fed contactors like cafeteria workers, janitors, security lost 10% of annual salary in Shutdown. Bill to give backpay blocked by GOP Senate. Bill to wipe estate tax from 1,700 families worth more than $11M moving forward. Are we a Christian nation?

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
02/02/19 8:45 pm

The Republican Jesus told his minions to block that bill.

ozzy
02/01/19 6:59 am

Cherry pick much. And stop bashing religion

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
02/01/19 8:59 am

Thanks for swinging by!

lj74
01/31/19 12:45 pm

Why did the GOP block the Bill Shaz? Tell the WHOLE story

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 1:01 pm

No idea. Feel free to educate us. Also feel free to post a link to the GOP alternative that overcame any of the parts the objected to.

We'll wait!

presrvd Phoenix
01/31/19 12:09 pm

Clearly only very few people here understand how government contracts work. This issue is a Contracted Agency issue, not a government pay issue...

smart1
01/31/19 9:18 am

So SHS said god chose Trump to be President, so it would then follow that god likes rich people more than poor people. I’m sure there’s a bible verse somewhere that says that. 🙄

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
01/31/19 8:59 am

But who will take care of the billionaires? 😢

orgblu10 Shamerica
01/31/19 8:34 am

I agree on the first part, but to imply that Jesus would support government taking someone's money by use of an estate tax is absurd.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
01/31/19 9:46 am

Would Jesus approve of hoarding wealth?

orgblu10 Shamerica
01/31/19 10:08 am

I doubt it. Jesus is about changing hearts. Yes, He wants individuals to give generously, from their hearts, intrinsically motivated. The Bible says "God loves a cheerful giver." That is a far cry from a government confiscating a person's or a family's possessions without their consent. The two aren't even close to a moral equivalent.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 1:14 pm

ORG - you know, I used to hear the arguement that "the Christ never said Christians should support a gov using taxes to help people" a lot from some Christians. Haven't for some time now. I always thought it was kinda disengenuous.

I'll ask you the same Q I always asked them when I heard a comment like that.

"Can you point out where he said you should oppose a government using taxes to help others? "

To me at least, it seems a far cry from "giving with a generous heart," to help your neighbor, and actively opposing it when an attempt is made by a government to do that for millions.Those two definitely aren't even close to a moral equivalent.

One might suggest the latter is the antithesis of the former. Just my nickel.

azsageguy
01/31/19 8:25 am

This country worships $ over any deity.

desolatia Oregon
01/31/19 12:30 pm

⬆️⬆️⬆️

suppressedID Honor RBGs Wish
01/31/19 8:19 am

And Jesus said, “every man for himself “.

Kay41 the Midwest
01/31/19 8:22 am

😂😂 Love this comment. Spot on.

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
01/31/19 8:05 am

You worded this better than me...I had a similar poll yesterday...stopped paying attention when the replies got annoying
Really can’t stand much if anything this administration is doing...
Good Luck!

Ebola007 Florida
01/31/19 8:00 am

I don’t work; I don’t get paid so spare me the crocodile tears 😭.

Kay41 the Midwest
01/31/19 8:21 am

Why do I think you probably make more than janitors and cafeteria workers and can more easily afford a month off? Besides, these workers were forced to not work, it wasn't their choice. I don't understand the lack of compassion for these unfortunate people put into circumstances beyond their control. Most minimum wage or lower wage people can't afford to skip an entire month of pay.

Ebola007 Florida
01/31/19 8:32 am

But why would you pay someone for not working. I had relatives who worked for NASA where they had layoffs periodically. No matter your seniority you were never out of danger of being laid off. Those people didn’t get paid for not working and neither should these.

..💡

Kay41 the Midwest
01/31/19 8:38 am

Layoffs means they probably applied for unemployment benefits. And, I'm ok if that's how these people get paid too. I'm just shocked and disappointed by your lack of compassion. "spare me the crocodile tears". For some people the lack of a months paycheck might break them. We should be trying to help these people and not saying too bad for them. Sad.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 9:20 am

KAY - See follow up poll.

Ebola007 Florida
01/31/19 9:35 am

Unemployment will help them but we can’t just pay them for no work.

Kay41 the Midwest
01/31/19 9:39 am

Sure we can. That's the beauty of living in the US and having lawmakers who can make this happen.

Ebola007 Florida
01/31/19 9:42 am

Well then we shouldn’t. That’s what unemployment is for. We shouldn’t pass legislation to pay everyone out of a job a full salary for not working.

shygal47 Florida east coast
02/01/19 11:59 am

If they file for unemployment during s shutdown, it artificially inflates the unemployment rate - thereby giving a black eye to the administration. Trump wouldn’t care for that ... do all these contractors work for the company with the contract? Or are they 1099 employees and therefore in effect, working for themselves?

MrsCrayonWax Katies Purpose
01/31/19 7:50 am

But but they should have had a contingency:

Kay41 the Midwest
01/31/19 7:45 am

They should be paid back and ASAP.

Jerbehr queens
01/31/19 7:35 am

I looked into this and the bill to pay them back was loaded with shady details such as 6 days paid leave for “Election Day”

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 9:05 am

Got it. So the GOP Senators immediately made a motion to pass a bill just paying backpay for low/middle income contactors instead right?

Can you send me the link to that new GOP lead bill?

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
01/31/19 9:48 am

God forbid more people vote. Sounds awful.

Ebola007 Florida
01/31/19 9:48 am

@Shazam

Btw when is Pelosi going to make her counteroffer to Trump negotiating on the wall?

...💡

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
01/31/19 9:51 am

Why would she do that? Trump wants it, he feels like he is entitled to it, but he cant get it. “Elections have consequences”.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 9:58 am

EB - so your response is: "Oh sh!t! PIVOT!!!"

Ebola007 Florida
01/31/19 10:39 am

I apologize. Just pointing out that Republicans aren’t the only party that doesn’t offer to compromise.

Virtue signaling doesn’t suit you btw.

...💡

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 12:13 pm

I'm in no way doing this. I am a Christian. I disagree vehemently with both of these and (the other two in my follow up) as a follower of the Christ. I'm engaging in a discussion on it.

I'm not at all sure why you make this accusation outside of virtue signaling yourself. But hey. I'm not 100% up in these new pithy terms used by Trump supporters to try to shut down uncomfortable discussions. Maybe it's whoever says that first wins?

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 1:35 pm

JERRYYY - matter of fact, can you post me a link that makes that claim? I've gone 5 pages into Google and can't find anything that even remotely suggests this claim has merit. The "Fair Compensation for Low-Wage Contractor Employees Act" has no languages related to election law whatsoever. What are looking at?

Jerbehr queens
01/31/19 2:48 pm

Article is from hill.com, it wouldn’t show on google since that detail wasn’t the headline but it was posted on here last night

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
01/31/19 7:29 pm

Ok. This definitely is the incorrect link. It's to a consulting firm.