cowboy January 30th, 2019 6:09pm

Cats are evil and can make the human race insane, scientists have confirmed.

Diogenes IgnoranceNoBlissEs
01/30/19 10:16 pm

This story surfaced every couple of years. 😴

cowboy Come on, man
01/30/19 10:59 pm

Yet people still bring these evil and parasite infested creatures into their homes.

John1 Florida
01/30/19 6:16 pm

I have two female dogs and one male cat. Don’t get me wrong, I love my dogs (one of them anyway) but sometimes they be actin’ crazy. At those times, the cat and I usually look at each other with the mutual understanding of, “dude, b!tches, right?”

susanr Colorado
01/30/19 4:37 pm

Don’t blame the cats; they don’t have toxoplasmosis by choice. Blame the infected rodents and birds that they ate.

“Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii), which can spread to people through contact with cat litter trays and eating uncooked meat, is usually harmless.”

NB: 1. “Usually harmless.”
2. “And eating uncooked meat.”

Actually, they should have written “*under*cooked meat.” And also...”Unwashed fruits and vegetables, contaminated water, dust, soil...” according to the FDA.

But hey, let’s blame cats.

“But now, the largest study of its kind, has found having the parasite could raise the risk of developing schizophrenia by 50 per cent.”

And what’s the risk of getting schizophrenia otherwise? Pretty darned low.

Not exactly making “the human race” insane.

susanr Colorado
01/30/19 5:01 pm

Also, if you think that’s scary, you should know about all the *other* potential brain-altering organisms that you may already be walking around with - in your gut, mostly. If you’re interested, I’d recommend reading any of these:

This Is Your Brain on Parasites, by Kathlees McAuliffe

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life, by Ed Yong.

And maybe also Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature’s Most Dangerous Creatures, by Carl Zimmer. I haven’t read it yet but Zimmer is a great writer.

rons on top of the world MA
01/30/19 2:32 pm

I never trusted cats. They have Nancy Pelosi eyes!

theNobamist Silicon Valley
01/30/19 2:16 pm

My cat is not evil. ❤️🐾❤️

cowboy Come on, man
01/30/19 3:01 pm

It’s science.

Carolynn new jersey
01/30/19 12:25 pm

I don’t think they’re evil, I think they’re just indifferent.

Robert01 existentialist
01/30/19 11:22 am

False narrative but thank you for sourcing the article.

Ebola007 Florida
01/30/19 11:17 am

Interesting research. Thx cowboy.

cowboy Come on, man
01/30/19 11:21 am

No problem.

susanr Colorado
01/30/19 9:49 pm

Ebola, you read Ed Yong’s book I Contain Multitudes, didn’t you? I don’t remember if he mentions this concept there or not. But if you’re interested in the subject, one of the books I recommended above does - This Is Your Brain on Parasites. I’m re-listening to the audiobook right now, and it’s fascinating stuff. She starts off talking about parasite manipulation of animals, and segues into human issues. A lot of it is about behaviors. Some of it sound pretty wildly speculative - and if I remember right she is pretty careful to note what is well grounded, and what is speculative. Heck, most of the book covers the actual researchers, how and where and what they found; whether the concepts have held up to further research, etc.

susanr Colorado
01/30/19 9:57 pm

The very first researcher she mentions, Janice Moore, is a woman whose early interest in the field - specifically, about how parasites may control some very specific behaviors of animals, and her subsequent research - was just delightful to read about. Turns out she is (was) a professor just a few miles from me at Colorado State. I was all excited about auditing one of her classes, until I found out she was in the process of retiring, and isn’t teaching any more. Dammit. I may go try to hang out with her some other way, though. Turns out she really was a pioneer in the field, and wrote or co-authored some interesting sounding books I’ll have to get. Parasites and the Behavior of Animals is the main one.