voc January 30th, 2019 1:46pm

Should people who have legally become citizens be forced to assimilate?

kenzbt New York
02/02/19 7:14 pm

Immigration should be at a low enough level where the only choose would be assimilation.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
02/01/19 11:42 am

I don't think they should abandon their culture, no. They should learn enough English to communicate. I mean, I'd hate to need a translator 24/7. It would be a serious pain.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
01/31/19 7:43 am

No. But their desire to become a functioning part of American society, as opposed to isolating themselves into a closed cultural community, should be considered as we evaluate them for citizenship.

Wackacrat Harford County
01/31/19 3:17 am

Forced no, but it’s in their best interest. If you want to be successful, you should be able to speak the language.

catpillow Florida West Coast
01/30/19 6:40 pm

I though this was the land of the free, not the borg.

GeezerGolf if you like your vet...
01/30/19 6:13 pm

No, they should assimilate before they become citizens.

jmw7477 Indiana
01/30/19 2:36 pm

They should learn English. But they should keep a bit of their culture and traditions.

political Georgia
01/30/19 2:17 pm

I don’t know what forced assimilation is in practice.

kscott516 Show Time
01/30/19 1:20 pm

No, but we shouldn’t cater to them either. We don’t Gov’t documents in multiple languages. English only. Make it the official language and be done.

Crispy899 America
01/30/19 1:15 pm

You’re going to have to if you move to a new country, if you move to Germany you better learn German because it’ll come up

Jazzy5 USA
01/30/19 1:12 pm

I would hope they would want to!

apparition Tacoma
01/30/19 12:19 pm

Forced? No. Encouraged? Yes.

EarlyBird Portland
01/30/19 12:15 pm

I think they should know English. Businesses shouldn’t have to provide interpreters.

Zach21 California
01/30/19 11:13 am

Forced no? But I don’t understand why some immigrants don’t attempt to learn English.

Zach21 California
01/30/19 11:13 am

Forced? No.* is what that should have said

MannIsMe COVID Dont Surf
01/30/19 11:06 am

As long as they identify as "Americans" I don't really care what weird-ass food they eat or what they wear.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
01/30/19 10:50 am

I don't care if they never eat at McDonald's, but they have to learn English.

smartfart Florida
01/30/19 10:38 am

To a limited extent. The diversity is good for the country, as a whole. But developing communities that live outside the laws of the country is not allowed.

AZlass Phoenix
01/30/19 10:32 am

No. Don’t force them to assimilate but also don’t print official government documents in anything but English. If you can’t read and understand them then you shouldn’t be voting.

rons on top of the world MA
01/30/19 10:07 am

Not forced. Should be willing to try. Schools should be in English. Road signs in English. My grand parents were proud to know English and work hard to learn it. Same with the wife’s grandparents. In their day everyone in NYC were immigrants. They learned a little spanish, a little Italian, a little Yiddish. Growing up in an ethnic diverse city like NY you heard every language but schools were in English.
People keep their traditions and spoke their native language at home. But on the streets it were English. It’s not that hard.

GlockMan1 Alabama
01/30/19 9:40 am

No but they are much more likely to do it than if they come here illegally.

Andrew99911 Where is the Source
01/30/19 9:16 am

I don’t understand how conservatives can talk about how bad the government is and how big it is and about how they shouldn’t force you to do anything. But then a question that asks if we should force immigrants to assimilate a majority of conservatives vote yes.

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 9:29 am

They want small government unless someone doesn’t do what they like, then they want laws to force people to do what they want. It’s quite interesting.

jarod California
01/30/19 12:45 pm

I think most conservatives like myself simply want them to learn the language.

shygal47 Florida east coast
01/30/19 9:12 am

Forced? No.
Encouraged & assisted? Yes.

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
01/30/19 9:10 am

Yes....You want citizenship, it means to become an American!.....if you do not like it, Leave!.....

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 9:28 am

Forcing someone to assimilate isn’t freedom. That’s the opposite of being an American.

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
01/30/19 9:33 am

It is obvious you fail with this arguement voc.....the agreement to accept this Countries citizenship requires you to assimilate.....do not like it or want it....."Do Not Apply"....

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 10:08 am

Lol! That’s not freedom. There are people that become citizens every day that don’t assimilate. Nor should they be forced to. That’s a dictatorship.

That’s like forcing someone to say the pledge or to stand for the flag. That’s not American. That’s not what we’re about.

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 10:08 am

And where does it require you to assimilate?

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
01/30/19 10:16 am

The "freedom" you speak of is "choice".....choice to apply, or not.....when you choose to apply, you accept that requirements.....simple, you want the benefits of an American Citizen ,yet do not want to bear the responsibilities of being a citizen.....we already have that.....thank you, but no.....

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
01/30/19 10:24 am

What do you think "Naturalization" is genius.....

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 10:32 am

Settle down there. We’re just talking.

No one who comes here has to assimilate to the American culture. We don’t force people to do that, nor should we. They should want to if they come here, but it isn’t something we force.

Again, people don’t come to the land of the free to be forced into compliance.

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
01/30/19 10:35 am

Every Country has a requirement for citizenship, even Mexico.....

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 10:43 am

And we do too. They have to learn the history, our laws etc, but they aren’t forced to assimilate. They can still keep their language, their customs (as long as it doesn’t break our laws), their traditions.

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
01/30/19 10:55 am

Our Forefathers believed it to be important or gov would not need to establish regulations for "Naturalization" per the Constitution .....now, why was this a requirement?.....

Xemanis Neutral Good
01/30/19 8:35 am

People will say no until they're treated like a foreigner in their own hometown.

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 8:23 am

that
/T͟Hat,T͟Hət/
pronoun
used to identify a specific person or thing observed by the speaker.
"that's his wife over there"
referring to a specific thing previously mentioned, known, or understood.
"that's a good idea"

suppressedID Honor RBGs Wish
01/30/19 7:52 am

Kind of anti-American, isn’t it?

phalnx Ohio
01/30/19 6:59 am

No, if you're a citizen, you should have the same freedoms as everyone else. Of course, they won't get very far if they don't at least learn the language.

BriDads Stop Getting Offended
01/30/19 7:29 am

Well I’m a perfect world, yes, but since the left views it as some type of intolerant concept and a direct violation of their human rights, which I understand. I also understand that this was a country founded on immigrants who wanted to escape so they could have religious freedom. However, I would highly recommend any immigrant from a foreign country to at least learn rudimentary English so they could communicate. And it is true that assimilation in language will help bring Americans closer together. But I can’t flat out say that they should be forced to learn English because I would receive a bunch of hate for that, but it can only benefit them.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
01/30/19 7:47 am

Unless they form isolated centers of political power.

Scrltt64 Ohio
01/30/19 6:59 am

I'm not sure of what is meant by forced vit I think speaking and reading basic English should be a requirement. They can use their own language and culture in their home of course. America is a melting pot unlike any where else. For instance, France has pockets of middle eastern citizens that have no idea what being French is. They don't speak the language and hence are isolated. America is a large country and to travel, for instance, you need to be able to read signs.

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 8:10 am

Forced meaning they can’t become citizens until they do.

I agree it’s something they should do to make it easier on themselves and everyone else, but not forced

shygal47 Florida east coast
01/30/19 9:17 am

The poll indicated persons already citizens. What do you want to do, Voc? Take away their hard won goal of being American and forcing English on them before they can re-qualify to apply for citizenship AGAIN?

voc I am...what I am
01/30/19 9:25 am

No, I don’t think anyone should be forced to assimilate. I think that is the opposite of freedom.

I was just agreeing that it would be easier for everyone if an immigrant learned English since even though we don’t have an “official” language most people do speak it.

If they don’t want to, that’s their right as an American.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
01/30/19 6:58 am

No, that’s anti-American.

snagglepuss Story Time
01/30/19 6:49 am

No, not forced.

They will adapt to their new home.