BrianR99 January 29th, 2019 10:55pm

I’m currently joining a debate club at my college but I’m kinda worried about it. I’m often shy/anxious when it comes to talking to people that I don’t really know. Especially when it deals with politics and stuff.

fburgnate Draper, UT
01/30/19 9:52 am

I did debate in H.S. plus Model U.N. (continued Model U.N. throughout college). I am very introverted and quite shy in ANY social situation. Both of those clubs helped me immensely, took me to national and international competitions, introduced me to people who occasionally make the news today, and made me believe in myself.
Go and learn how confident you can actually be in yourself. Be amazed at what you are and what you can become.

localjudicial
01/29/19 11:55 pm

Now you get to learn what your views are and how you can implement them to make you a better person. Your views = your beliefs if you believe in it you should feel honored that you will be able to talk about these things

ctskapski NB MD
01/29/19 8:17 pm

Debate club is a good way to stop doing that.

Suzan Hawaii
01/29/19 7:46 pm

Over prepare on everything. Breathe. Take your time. And plus the crap out of them. You can do this.

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
01/29/19 7:16 pm

Look to your passion of the debate, the topic, effect and end result....truth, facts tempered in reason.....believe in yourself, the anxiety will subside.....

Crispy899 America
01/29/19 6:56 pm

That’s good, when you lack confidence you should work on it. That’s why they classes and such

DonWichita Kansas
01/29/19 5:48 pm

Joining will get you some of the exposure and experience that it takes to overcome your fears.
Go in with the I-want-to-learn attitude.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
01/29/19 5:37 pm

Don’t join if it’s going to stress you out,

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
01/29/19 5:29 pm

Awesome!! Learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable and challenging your fears will only help you grow.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/29/19 5:25 pm

You’ve already taken a good step towards getting over that by joining the club, pushing yourself beyond what is comfortable. Focus on listening, which will help make it more like a conversation than a speech (and will help identify points of rebuttal), and practice, sticking to the format, until it feels like being home. It may be helpful to practice meeting new people too, introducing yourself and having a casual conversation, not a debate, just to get used to speaking with and around people. Improving social skills and earning a few new friends along the way are potential bonuses.

CrazDab Florida
01/29/19 4:48 pm

Good!!!! Great idea. I have a shy nephew and I try to tell him to join drama or something. Public speaking. Debate club. Anything. Think of it as practice. The more you subject yourself out there, the more comfortable and better at it you will become. You are exercising the shyness and learning to break through it. You are doing a good thing. You will thank yourself for doing this later in life 👍
These tools are out there to help you. So, yes, take advantage of it.

TierasPet
01/29/19 4:25 pm

If you join the club, you'll gain Great skills and hopefully the people at the college will understand that you are new to debating and help you learn the skills necessary to do it well. That's what college is for, and I would check the club out to be sure that is what they do if you have a large fear of joining this club. I do hope you join though.

missmorganmarie ...
01/29/19 4:15 pm

better you than me. i have a fear of public speaking

CoffeeNow CCP virus
01/29/19 3:59 pm

If you ever get backed into a corner, don’t be afraid to pull out the ace in the hole

“Hitler did nothing wrong”

There’s no comeback for this