tractorman January 29th, 2019 8:00pm

In America today, if someone is poor itโ€™s their own fault and has nothing to do with the system, race, gender, parents, pre and post natal care, health, education, support system, or national origin.

snagglepuss Story Time
01/29/19 7:47 pm

You can work hard all your life and still be poor.

tony1987
01/30/19 7:47 am

Still sounds like an individual’s fault.

jmw7477 Indiana
01/29/19 6:46 pm

My husband was raised by a welfare druggie until he was 16 when he moved in with his aunt and uncle. My grandpa left home and went out on his own when he was 14. My husband only has a high school diploma. My grandpa has less than that. Neither of them used their bad childhoods as an excuse. Both of them make/made a good living. If you work hard, you can improve your life.

bartman71 USW
01/29/19 7:25 pm

Nice anecdote. That doesn't make it a reality for anyone else.

tractorman Make Good Trouble
01/29/19 8:58 pm

Jmw, no argument there. The society had a support system for him to make good on his hard work. Don’t you think others need these opportunities also? Who will supply them, corporations who look at bottom lines and treat workers like dirt? Don’t think so..

Ebola007 Florida
01/30/19 4:35 am

We make our own opportunities don’t you think? Don’t wait for someone to do it for you!

jmw7477 Indiana
01/30/19 5:00 am

Bartman, it could be. They just have to put the work in to get there. Stop making excuses and playing the victim.

jmw7477 Indiana
01/30/19 5:03 am

Tractor, you have to find a way. My grandpa and my husband found their best success working for small companies. My grandpa has no society support. There were times he slept in an orange grove at night and just ate the oranges to survive. Neither my husband nor my grandpa took government assistance.

jmw7477 Indiana
01/30/19 5:04 am

Ebola, I completely agree.

Tariq88 Utah
01/29/19 4:16 pm

Well I both disagree and agree in some ways. Each individual has to take accountability and responsibility for themselves but that does not mean that others should not care and also does not mean that don't have a responsibility to help the poor if they can even if it is their own fault.

Malekithe R lyeh
01/29/19 3:10 pm

Could be due many factors including the individual’s own fault

tony1987
01/29/19 3:04 pm

Individual’s fault

Ebola007 Florida
01/29/19 1:39 pm

Yawn ๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด

TwinJefe Pacific Northwest
01/29/19 2:33 pm

Ebola likes to ignore the racist and oppressive history of his state, which today still commits widespread voter suppression.

tractorman Make Good Trouble
01/29/19 5:53 pm

This is Ebola’s most astute reply in months and shows an absolute depth of his thought process....๐Ÿคช

Ebola007 Florida
01/29/19 8:05 pm

I gave it all the depth it deserved. Wouldn’t want my brilliance to dim.

tractorman Make Good Trouble
01/29/19 8:53 pm

Dude, it’s past dim. It’s nigh on to pitch black๐ŸŒ‘

Ebola007 Florida
01/30/19 4:14 am

Lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ebola007 Florida
01/30/19 4:33 am

WOW ๐Ÿ˜ฎ! I’m concerned! I’m burnishing it right now to a blinding brilliance!!! โœจโœจโœจ. Take that all you snowflakes โ„๏ธ!!!

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
01/29/19 1:13 pm

Not everyone in the country can be comfortable. That’s not how it works. Why is it so difficult for some to comprehend that, no matter how hard they try, some people’s obstacles are virtually impossible to overcome? For example... a single parent working multiple minimum wage jobs to just scrape by... what should they do?

Robert01 existentialist
01/29/19 1:18 pm

Get a higher education.

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
01/29/19 1:22 pm

And if they can’t afford it? If they don’t have the time after working their multiple jobs? If they aren’t intellectual?

There always needs to be people working those shitty jobs. Or should we let immigrants take them?

You don’t know peoples individual challenges so you shouldn’t be judgmental and lack compassion as you do. Too bad you can’t walk a mile in their shoes.
๐Ÿ’ซ

Robert01 existentialist
01/29/19 2:24 pm

I'm not saying there not intelligent, you are lol.

Why are they a single parent?
Why are they a parent?

Look, at some point you have to take responsibility for your actions.

If you are poor in the United states and you are poor for your whole life- yes it's your fault.
Why life hands you lemons you do something about it.

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
01/29/19 2:54 pm

Again... you don’t know peoples individual challenges so you shouldn’t be judgmental and lack compassion as you do. Too bad you can’t walk a mile in their shoes.

Robert01 existentialist
01/29/19 3:39 pm

I am far from lacking compassion.
Issues arise and Life Goes On if you don't take care of yourself you don't have anybody to blame but yourself.
It is not anyone else's job to take care of you including our government.

tractorman Make Good Trouble
01/29/19 5:56 pm

Robert is your typical privileged male on this site and echoes many others who are missing the empathy gene. Forgive them because it’s not their fault.๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ฐ