Show Of Hands December 18th, 2012 12:00am

Did/do you attend K-12 public school or private school?

emsies Seattle
12/24/12 8:20 pm

Thank GOD for scholarships. And financial aid. And a stipend. And assisted lunch. I LOVE my private school!

sydwel
12/23/12 8:04 pm

I understand, especially if your values are based on religion. But i have had teachers who encouraged me to develop my own set of morals, and keep an open mind. There is so much racial, economic, and general diversity, public education has taught me tolerance, respect, and good work skills.

sarahedwards OKC
12/22/12 3:13 pm

What about homeschool? I'll count it as private.

katiechickee New Jersey
12/22/12 4:06 am

It's interesting that so many people that use this poll went to public schools. I would've thought it would be 50/50. but then again, in general there are more people in public vs. private school. Or do you think your grammar school education is what influenced you to use this app. Hmmmm

Irrelevant United States
12/21/12 9:15 am

Both. I was in public school at first, then homeschooled, then in private school, then in another private school, homeschooled again, then finally went to public junior high and high school. My parents were very sheltering until financial difficulties forced them to send me to public school.

kgirl1992
12/20/12 8:58 pm

C. Homeschooled. I put down private cause it's closer

jweezie711
12/20/12 7:57 pm

School of the Hard Knocks K-12

madison12 Maine
12/20/12 7:51 am

As long as your child puts in the hard work and effort needed to have a good education, public schooling is the same, if not better, than going to a private school.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/19/12 9:39 pm

Yeah, people used to actually take the initiative to teach their children things before they started formal schooling.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/19/12 9:36 pm

@chris, you're just looking for a fight. I'm from Tennessee, and Memphis is the last place that I would live in Tennessee.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/19/12 9:34 pm

It's less the education, and more the morals that are lacking in public education.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/19/12 9:31 pm

I was homeschooled. Better than either.

Rio76 Wild West
12/19/12 9:28 pm

You are fortunate Paule

zigtiger823 everywhere
12/19/12 8:16 pm

K and 9-12 private, 1-8 public, but I voted private because that was a much better experience

soulfighter
12/19/12 7:52 pm

Bosco: Haha who the hell are u to tell me what liberals believe in?! Haha there isn't a "liberal" club is there?

soulfighter
12/19/12 7:49 pm

Bird; yeah it's a really good school and gives students more opportunity. It's in East Los Angeles to target lower income communities.

nickzimmerman 53051
12/19/12 7:42 pm

All, Privet pre-school Public 1, home 2-4 Privet 5 Public 6-7 I'm in 7th grade now

Caleb SOH Editor
12/19/12 3:48 pm

It's not the innate quality of public or private school, it's the mindset and effort of students and their parents. Saying as school is required, you have much more variation in these fields when it comes to public school.

natedog1
12/19/12 3:43 pm

Chrishernan92: actually... Poor you!

Paule Ohio
12/19/12 2:16 pm

I was homeschooled the whole time

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
12/19/12 11:51 am

I attended a public school until 5th grade..I guess I got too disruptive, so I was sent to a special school...They couldn't handle kids with ADD back then

Classified
12/19/12 8:55 am

All of the above. Public k-6, homeschooled 7, private 8-12.

gtgconfused
12/19/12 8:34 am

I went to public school mostly but private school in 2nd, 5th & 6th

Liberty Lets Use Logic
12/19/12 8:20 am

It's not free. It's paid for with money taken from productive people.

EarlyBird Portland
12/19/12 8:08 am

Soul - I've never heard of that type of program. It sounds almost too good to be true! Wish it would catch on.

EarlyBird Portland
12/19/12 7:31 am

Bosco - am I missing something? Looking at his name, I don't think he's a lib :-)

EarlyBird Portland
12/19/12 7:27 am

I thought I was the only one who never went to kindergarten. They didn't offer it when I was that age.

heyyjude NC
12/19/12 6:47 am

Public, but I did go to a private school for kindergarten.

116
12/19/12 4:53 am

The public schools I went to were all fine. A large majority of the people in my high school classes were university bound, including myself. Private school would gave been a waste of money.

sydwel
12/19/12 4:37 am

Public. And you know what? It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I was in advanced classes, etc. and my parents weren't wealthy enough to afford private school.

bschultz28 Seattle Tacoma area
12/19/12 1:23 am

I attended both (in Florida) ...but mostly public so I had to vote public. Private k-2 and then again in 6th and 7th. The rest in public. Probably would of gone through highschool private if my parents didn't get divorced.

dallas Highland Park, TX
12/19/12 12:33 am

Private school since 2 years old. It's much easier to adjust when you move a lot. For me anyways. Plus, growing up in East Memphis, my parents weren't about to send me to the horrendous Memphis City Schools, which is now dissolving because it is led by ignorant and greedy insects.

Bosco7
12/19/12 12:33 am

Libs don't believe in tax deductions or vouchers using your own tax $$ for education choice.

soulfighter
12/19/12 12:28 am

My private high school was both a high school and a college. U can graduate in 5 yrs w a diploma and an AS degree. We had to choose majors by our 2nd year. Wish more kids had access to different schools like I had.

soulfighter
12/19/12 12:22 am

I agree. There are few amazing public and charter schools, however most of them are in higher income neighborhoods.

soulfighter
12/19/12 12:18 am

Went to a private catholic k-12, had nuns and priest as teachers, all boys high school, and even went to a Jesuit university. Surprise I'm a liberal. I do appreciate all the education I got, wish we got a tax deduction tho. Not cheap!

AnnieM The Island
12/18/12 11:38 pm

my 8-9 grade classes at my old school. That's just 1 of the issues I had with that school/district.
I'm not content to let my son go to a school that encourages mediocrity. Even if I have to homeschool him the first few years, I can't let him start his educational journey with that kind of attitude.

Christfollowr California
12/18/12 11:38 pm

Public and private. For k-8 i went to public and now in high school im at a private school

AnnieM The Island
12/18/12 11:34 pm

…teacher more work to do (this taking time from the other students) & that it could make my classmates feel stupid. They actually told me to "dial it down" & to stop doing so much of my work so that I could be on par with the other students. And the other students were on par with…

AnnieM The Island
12/18/12 11:33 pm

I'm going to do everything I can to keep my kid from going to the same school district I did from 10-12th grade. It's really bad. I got a lecture from my teacher and counselor on why it was bad to read ahead or go above-and-beyond the requirements on an essay. Their reason was that it gave the…

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
12/18/12 11:15 pm

Actually, many public schools are moving to uniforms.