Show Of Hands June 22nd, 2012 12:00am

Would it be good or bad to work at a company that published the salaries of every individual employee?

06/29/12 1:29 pm

Bad. It's no one's business.

frinigirl
06/27/12 1:46 pm

Well don't go to work for a public entity (I.e. city, school district, etc) - our salaries are public record.

dbrat East Coast
06/24/12 9:12 pm

I'd love to see what they would pay a man in my position.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
06/24/12 8:15 pm

It would be nice to know that I was being paid exactly the same amount as my male counter part.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
06/24/12 5:43 am

This is only an acceptable idea for religious organizations and government jobs, not for private business.

finalboss
06/24/12 4:29 am

I work at a church and all the items in our budget are printed and given to each church member every year. Including salaries. It helps keep everyone honest and our members get to see where their tithes go.

BadBadger Georgia
06/24/12 12:29 am

Steve, because they are public employees, work for you, and how taxes are spent is a matter of transparency.

BadBadger Georgia
06/24/12 12:26 am

kaik, not a good idea. Many companies will fire you in a heartbeat if they discover that you're comparing salaries with coworkers.

BadBadger Georgia
06/24/12 12:21 am

Tony, thanks for a question with "Bad" as one of the answers. I'm seeing comments that start with "Bad" and I think they are responding to me. And I'm thinking, "What the hell is this person going on about?" ;-)

stevetinfc Oregon
06/23/12 9:09 pm

71% say that they would not want to have salaries published of employees. Then why is it ok to require (in California) every city and county to publish the salaries of every employee by name?

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
06/23/12 8:25 pm

Bad. The amount of money you make can be a very private matter for some people. If you want others to know about it, then you can tell them yourself.

madeit Houston Area
06/23/12 7:46 pm

Where I work, that kind of transparency would be a total game changer. All the cards would be on the table, and I would welcome it.

RayX quit
06/23/12 3:47 pm

It's not right to have your job performance evaluated by anybody except your manager. Publishing salaries makes everybody a backseat manager. Publishing pay grades and standards is a good thing but personnel files should be confidential.

Nerdz Texas
06/23/12 3:37 pm

Well I wouldn't be comfortable with that

MsAine
06/23/12 1:57 pm

As a mgr It was very hard for me to stand with mgt when my hard working, loyal staff wanted to know why a new comer was making more than them. the good news is that those mgt people are gone. Fired or resigned. This was just a tiny problem of all the problems they caused.

MsAine
06/23/12 1:52 pm

Bad - I worked for the great state of Texas for 27 years, and the salaries were open to the public. Unfortunately, we had a chg of mgt who insisted on playing games with the salaries when they hired staff. These people were under qualified and over pd.

mzwilly
06/23/12 11:44 am

Teachers have this done all of the time...there is a website in Ohio where you can search by school district and pull teachers up by name

EIT Near You
06/23/12 7:41 am

I don't need that. That factor will just be distracting. I know plenty of managers who earn high amounts but are dumb as door nails. Publishing their salaries will just make me more enraged.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
06/23/12 6:36 am

@tnuctipin - you can't lie about your salary on a credit app. I mean, you COULD, but as soon as they run the report, they'd catch you. That's a stupid justification.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
06/23/12 6:32 am

The problem is that other employees with the same title would get angry if they saw that I make more than them. I get to work an hour before they do, work an hour later and get more done in a day than they do in a week. I deserve a higher salary.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
06/23/12 6:31 am

Some idiots out there think that publishing salaries is going to get them a higher one to catch up with those who are paid more. That's not the case at all. Everyone will get paid less because some people aren't worth the low salary they are getting paid. I'm worth every penny my employer pays me.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
06/23/12 6:28 am

@dcdeb - a small fraction of govt employees put their lives on the line each day. Most are paper processors and solitaire players. And EVERYONE has to pass drug test to get a job and exams to keep them.

DaKernal Colorado
06/23/12 6:25 am

LOL everyone wants transparency unless it is THEIR transparency!

06/23/12 6:03 am

Entitlement + this would make for a lot of failed businesses. A divided house will fall!

dcdeb
06/23/12 5:56 am

To all who say gov't employees are paid too much: please remember those who are required to pass polygraphs, to pass medical exams and drug testing, are subject to background investigations,, and who put their lives on the line 24/7/365 to protect lives and freedom of private-sector workers.

jenwoot
06/23/12 5:47 am

I work at as state university and not only the salaries but the budgets are open record.

06/23/12 3:44 am

I wouldn't mind that!

06/23/12 3:09 am

In the private sector it might be refreshing. However it could also be the source of lots of controversy and jealousy. The better solution is to start your own business and be your own boss.

BadBadger Georgia
06/23/12 2:17 am

Happy, "most" sales jobs have the numbers on a board? Are you still living in the 50's? Or do you sell cars? lol

06/23/12 2:05 am

You will hate each other if that happened.

06/22/12 11:28 pm

While I love to snoop in the state's list of government employees to see what my govt employed friends/relatives earn, I always feel sorry for them as I don't think these numbers should be accessible by just anyone.

Happy Hong Kong
06/22/12 9:54 pm

I'm all for openness. In most sales jobs your numbers are posted on a board for all to see, the higher the better as it means you are more productive.

snafu Washington
06/22/12 9:40 pm

My salary is my business. Whether companies decide to pay their employees $500 or $50000000 it shouldn't concern anybody. We all want to make more money of course but why do we want to always take it away from the ones who have it? And then we call them greedy.

connollixor Lander, WY
06/22/12 9:30 pm

I think if the positions all had varied pay instead of equal pay by rank and how much you do for your place of employment, it would be terrible. Being as I think most places ARE like this, it would cause conflict, even if the differences in pay were well deserved and explainable.

lisalashe
06/22/12 9:19 pm

I work for a company (state of Texas) that publishes ever salary and it's fine. Salaries are public information when you work for the state.

justwant2win Conroe, TX
06/22/12 8:48 pm

Us military personnel know what every one else makes. And we all know what it takes to advance up the pay scale. No secrets, no heart ache. Just hard work. Each of are trying to do better to get paid more. Those who don't move up go home.

footnmouth usually to the knee
06/22/12 8:15 pm

I work at one right now. We're a church.

06/22/12 7:52 pm

then you could not lie about your salary and get credit easier.

applestar Florida
06/22/12 7:39 pm

All it does is incite rage in people that are looking for something to dig at.

applestar Florida
06/22/12 7:39 pm

As I stated earlier. I understand public salaries being published by providing the pay scales for each job. However, firmly disagree with my full name and an exact number being posted on a newspaper's website. When this happened, people acted immaturely with the information that was provided.

Kommandant Indiana
06/22/12 7:26 pm

Mr????mc you never responded to what I said

JustSaying
06/22/12 7:14 pm

@MrMc
Entires "directly" receiving public funds should disclose. All others have no obligation to society to do so.

Archimedes
06/22/12 7:00 pm

Causes to much tension among friends.

wenhei
06/22/12 6:54 pm

Work for the school district or government and it IS published.

dashbirdie Kansas
06/22/12 6:46 pm

That's one thing I like about the military, everyone knows exactly what you make. In fact it helps understand people's personal issues better.

mrmc2
06/22/12 6:34 pm

nvr2L8 where would you be without cliches? Have a good one, I'm done for the night. Off to have a bottle of champagne with the wife.

nsl1952
06/22/12 6:11 pm

I worked for NYC for over 33 years. My salary was public knowledge and so was everyone else's. No big deal!