Show Of Hands March 24th, 2013 11:55pm

If you have to travel cross country, which would be your preferred method? Please share a thought.

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
03/26/13 10:54 am

Rode a bus from Iowa to Florida. Was a weird experience. Hated it. Hated it. I'll train before I bus again.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/24/13 9:19 pm

I like chartered busses, like the one my old youth group got to take us to Winter Park for skiing a couple winters. They were comfortable, and we had charge of the little tvs. It was way fun. My only Amtrak experience was awful. Took me 8 hrs to get from Dallas to Temple (only 150 miles) one time.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/24/13 9:21 pm

And the thing rocked back and forth the whole trip. And some young to teenage girls sat behind me with their feet up on the back of my seat, kicking and pushing and crunching some smelly chips. It was miserable. European trains however are the bomb. I love German trains the best. If Amtrak can do

Emma Austin.ish.
03/24/13 9:22 pm

something like the European trains, I'll be a proud patron of the rails. Until then, I'll go with a chartered bus.

susanr Colorado
03/24/13 10:18 pm

I forgot that my first train trip was to Vermont, from Cincinnati, when I was about 15. After I got off the train, I could feel the ghost of the motion for a couple days.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/24/13 5:54 pm

I have ridden the dog, it wasn't great. I've also travelled extensively on trains in Europe, always very great. But in the US? Plane or car. If no planes or car were available I'd take the train, but it would bug me every minute that it is less fun and more expensive than either the plane or car.

susanr Colorado
03/24/13 6:02 pm

The observation car on some routes can be well worth some minor inconveniences. For me, anyway. It was really rather spectacular.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/24/13 6:08 pm

I want to take that train that passes glacier park. Apparently the views are spectacular.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/24/13 6:09 pm

Zod, I am glad to hear you still have fun flying.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/24/13 6:16 pm

I'd love to take the train between Vancouver, BC and Calgary, AB. They do it in as little as two days, or as many as five with overnights in hotels along the way. The scenery is stunning there and on that trip the train would be ideal. Usually though, I prefer the impromptu side trips a car allows.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/24/13 6:33 pm

wedaslaves Glacier is my favorite of our National Parks (so far - I haven't seen them all). Still, the Canadian parks, Banff, Jasper, Kootenay, and Yoho just to the northwest of Glacier are, if anything, even more scenic. Maybe a loop to visit them all?

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/24/13 5:18 pm

I'm not sitting next to someone who smells like corn chips, and no way to get away from them.
A train you can move around on.

susanr Colorado
03/24/13 5:27 pm

Been there. Actually corn chips would be a refreshing upgrade. Also next to a guy talking nonstop, chewing tobacco & spitting into a styrofoam cup.

The bathrooms are... Well, you just don't want to go there.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/24/13 5:18 pm

Do they have sleeper options in regular trains?

susanr Colorado
03/24/13 5:28 pm

Amtrak? I don't know if they're on all of them but they're out of my price range.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/24/13 5:17 pm

I have never done this in America. We drive too much. The train rides to Philadelphia are very fast and feel comfortable. The Bus rides to NY are fun and comfortable. There are some amazing train rides along the northern border of America. I think a family train ride to Disney would be great.

susanr Colorado
03/24/13 5:00 pm

Train: for many aspects of comfort, sightseeing, & food. Bus: only for somewhat more reasonable scheduling, price, and available locations. I've done both multiple times. I would far rather take the train.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/24/13 5:01 pm

You ever been on a $3m tour bus?

susanr Colorado
03/24/13 5:04 pm

Nope. Greyhound & Trailways. Some fairly uncomfortable trips, but with little money there wasn't much choice. Had a pretty nice ride Cincinnati to Grand Rapids a few years ago for a funeral when plane fair was insanely high & terribly inconvenient, but otherwise I've avoided them for ~15 years.

susanr Colorado
03/24/13 5:06 pm

No luxury travel anywhere anytime. Excluding my one adventure with first-class plane travel which was, well, an adventure. Mercifully briefl.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/24/13 4:59 pm

Assuming you mean a tour bus like a Prevost?
I don't think a Greyhound would be very fun at all, not to mention a school bus! :p