Show Of Hands December 24th, 2012 12:00am

Should the U.S. switch to the metric system?

july475
12/30/12 7:49 am

I've lived in europe and the USA the metric system is very easy to get use to

hexin Wisconsin
12/29/12 8:01 am

I don't know if it would be that expensive. If we phased it in slowly over 10 years or so, mainly in things that would need to be replaced already, say... And keep both measurements around for older people for a while. Think it'd work.

vinenoob lovely
12/28/12 9:17 pm

Drops add up.

spoonrock North Carolina
12/28/12 7:36 am

The cost to switch would be a drop in the bucket compared to what out government spends.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 10:21 pm

Note to self: Who the heck is Bethany? Damn autocorrect. It was probably supposed to be "that." Weirdness.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 10:18 pm

CenTexKen, My own opinion is that metric is better BUT I think it would be much more expensive to convert than people seem to think, and there may be I intended consequences... So I could go either way. I just think "It sets us apart from the rest of the world" is not a good argument against it.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 10:14 pm

Dazzle me with facts & well-supported opinions, pinky. Not name calling & invective.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 10:12 pm

By the way, pinky, I agree that doing things like mathematical conversions is good for the brain - especially as one ages. Also things like crossword puzzles.

truthandcuriosity
12/27/12 9:11 pm

The imperial systm gives the US individuality plus all the cooking and architecture would get realy crapped up

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/27/12 2:15 pm

am I missing something? since when does the system of measurement we use have anything to do with the government? it's inches and feet and miles versus centimeters and meters and kilometers, don't make it into something bigger than it is.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/27/12 2:09 pm

it's not about conforming, it's about which system is better. the metric system makes more sense. and if you think about it, it makes more sense that everyone uses the same system. if your only argument against it is that we should use a different system to be different, you need to reconsider.

JackTorS SOH Flounder
12/27/12 9:48 am

If you think about it, the system of measurement we use is almost like a language. I automatically think 'inches' or 'feet' or 'miles' and have an instantaneous reference in my head to communicate with.
For younger kids, a conversion would be easy. For an old fart like me, not so much.

wiildkat Propertarian
12/27/12 8:32 am

I agree that the metric system is better, but have you considered how much it would cost to switch over?

EarlyBird Portland
12/27/12 8:05 am

Pinky - c'mon, you have better manners than to call a woman "jackass". She was simply stating her opinion.

centexken Republic of Texas
12/27/12 7:54 am

Change sucks. Look how things have gone downhill since Obama was elected.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/27/12 6:15 am

And 2.5 is close enough for 99.9% of the conversions that people will be doing. Jackass.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/27/12 6:14 am

@susanr, I really try not to make arguments personal, but you're just a jackass. Fuck off.

willcarb
12/27/12 3:25 am

Why should we conform to the rest of the world? We've done fine with our system for a long time. Forget what Europe thinks.

yesmaam socal
12/27/12 12:38 am

The big states say YES.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 10:21 pm

And by damn, let's keep using a system that makes less sense than another SOLELY because, well, we should be different! Yeah, that a good reason.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 10:18 pm

Right. The US, Liberia and Myanmar vs the rest of the world. All three paragons of wonderfulness. Except the other two. (Although things are getting better for both of them, I hear.)

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 10:13 pm

Unless you're sending something to Mars, in which case it already disintegrated. Although in that case the incorrect conversion (or lack thereof) was pound-seconds vs. newton-seconds. Or hey, even building a house. Because it's way closer to 2.54 cm to an inch.

djbes1966
12/26/12 8:33 pm

They should have done it a long time sgo

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:50 pm

It's easy to convert back and forth between inches and centimeters: 2.5 cm per inch. No need to change. The conversion keeps your brain active.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:41 pm

Fuck that. Most of the rest world is hopelessly screwed up.

JackTorS SOH Flounder
12/26/12 7:39 pm

I would have no reason not to switch to SI other than laziness.
It's worked for me for years and years and as the old idiom goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:36 pm

Please do. And don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:34 pm

It's one small thing that sets us apart from the rest of the world. It's part of the shared American experience.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 7:32 pm

I think the cost would be a lot more significant than most people here seem to think (some just mentioning road signs) but I really don't think Bethany should stop us. Maybe make the change more incremental, but not stop. On the other hand, I'm not going to throw a fit if we don't do it.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 7:31 pm

No. I know the metric system has some advantages, but the American system is our 'thing.' It's one thing that sets us apart from most of the rest of the world. And that's worth hanging onto. Most of the rest of the world is messed up.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 7:29 pm

checkar & mode, I've never wished before that Liberia and Myanmar were communist countries, but I do right now.

EarlyBird Portland
12/26/12 6:40 pm

The biggest arguments against that I've read are: 1) cost 2) they don't wast to go along with the rest of the world.
Pretty weak reasons IMO.

scrappy23
12/26/12 3:01 pm

Yes! That is EXACTLY why we should use Metric!... Because everyone else does! Measurements are only useful if everyone can interpret them!

checkar377
12/26/12 2:10 pm

That is dumbest reason I have ever heard. Did you know that the metric system is based on scales from one to ten? It makes everything simpler plus it's used in every scientific field. Everything you use is created by people who use the metric system. You just need to get an education.

Mode
12/26/12 1:23 pm

You have to be communist to use the metric system?

jsdbeerman
12/26/12 11:22 am

I'm for switching but would we switch yards in American football to meters?

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/26/12 10:53 am

You misread what I meant by "scalar." Metric and Imperial are scalar systems - they measure stuff. If one scalar system is more intuitive than the other, then intellectual inertia is the only reason for resisting a change we're already halfway in on (see our other back n forth above).

godcyanide Probably gone for good
12/26/12 10:50 am

Try using a recipe from another country sometime, when you have to convert every stinking measurement. I'm a math guy, and, I gotta say that sucks. Most measuring devices that we use already have both. Our cars can do both. Why not go all in on metric, we are already halfway there!

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
12/26/12 10:43 am

Hell no. We're not Communists.

peacenskis Alaska
12/26/12 10:27 am

Anyone have an educated argument on why we shouldn't use the metric system? I couldn't think of one.

mrkefo Virginia
12/26/12 9:38 am

The US tried that already (back about 20 years ago)

fortneja
12/26/12 8:52 am

Why would you think I'm a foreigner? No, I was born and raised here. I grew up with the Imperial system, but find Metric simpler to use, and my work demands it. Not to mention all hardware in my Japanese car is totally metric as well.

askmenething Buffalo, NY
12/26/12 8:01 am

People resist change, but what are we waiting for??? If you get any sort of multi- national job, you will be using it anyway. Once you get used to it, it makes so much more sense.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
12/26/12 6:16 am

Why fight about this? Just use whatever system you want to use.

Lulzy New Jersey
12/26/12 1:53 am

No, we should stay on Imperial but ditch base-10 for base-12.

Duodecimal!

If we can't get on duodecimal, ditch Imperial for Metric.

bryank21
12/26/12 1:34 am

Yeah, they should be forced to remember that there are 5280 feet in 1 mile. Makes a lot of sense.

patrioticteen
12/26/12 1:30 am

Hey of you didn't know we are quite ahead of many countries! Also you elected the idiot, not me!

bryank21
12/26/12 1:30 am

Ok. I really invite the best argument someone can come up with to stay with the Imperial System. Explain how it's better than metric, please?

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/26/12 1:20 am

I actually see more complaints about the people supporting our system than I do people actually supporting it. but the metric system makes WAY more sense. however, just because we should switch doesn't mean we will, sadly. but who knows, maybe it'll happen.