RJ1969 SoCal
03/23/13 4:42 pm

Ripken makes a good tire. Michelin bought them a few years ago and use their compound with Riken tread design (better).

RJ1969 SoCal
03/23/13 4:52 pm

RIKEN, not Ripken.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/23/13 9:08 pm

RJ do you stick with H or above or do you go down to S or T rated? My experience with Michelin is they stick really well until they get old. Once older you have to watch them in the rain or they can spin out. Maybe they have improved?

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/23/13 12:48 pm

How about 'Slow Down' as the second button? Tony, some coaching tips would be appreciated here.

RJ1969 SoCal
03/23/13 4:41 pm

It's a balance (no pun intended). I've bought Michelin Pilot 2s at $500 a pop and they lasted about 15K. But, they gripped like no other! Now, I put another variety of Michelin on at $150 a pop and they've lasted 30k so far...and really, the grip difference isn't that big of a deal.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/23/13 12:15 pm

I buy H rated for temp, speed and stability and AAA wet traction. My favorite car tire is the Bridgestone Serenity. I feel H rating holds up to some pretty hard driving. To earn a Z rated tire I would have to risk arrest on the spot.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/23/13 11:26 am

I'm not sure exactly how to take the answers, but as a man who once went into a spin doing 35 on a freeway on-ramp, and deuced over a street light, I say good tires are worth it.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/23/13 12:07 pm

Doopy, I tend to agree. Sliding into something or loosing control can be expensive or life threatening.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/23/13 12:22 pm

And embarrassing...

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/23/13 12:41 pm

Just the other night I had two cars with teenagers from new jersey suddenly swerve right in front of me across my lane to another road. I would have t-boned them if I didn't stop like that. After pulling over I asked them to pay more attention. Anxiety and impulsivity are very dangerous...