JLe June 12th, 2018 4:09am

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?: “Looks to me like the Bernie people will fight. If not, there blood, sweat and tears was a waist of time,” said Trump.

jarod California
06/11/18 9:15 pm

No. It believe it should be:
“It looks to me like the Bernie people will fight. If not, their blood, sweat, and tears were a waste of time,” said Trump.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/12/18 7:42 am

Exactly! There are TWO errors: (1) the usage error of using "their" in place of the correct "there," and (2) the punctuation error of omitting the required Oxford Comma (comma before "and" in a series). Please note that the Oxford Comma also requires a vocal pause of the same duration as that given to (each of) the preceding commas in the list when spoken aloud. The Oxford Comma is not being properly observed if you WRITE "red, white, and blue" but SAY "red, whiteandblue." You see, we here at The Grammar Police are not just a retired English teacher, but also a retired Speech teacher. You should disregard Style Manuals that forbid the Oxford Comma.

⚜ ᎢᎻᎬ ᏩᎡᎪᎷᎷᎪᎡ ᏢᎾᏞᏆᏟᎬ ⚜

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/12/18 7:45 am

I'm sorry – I may have reversed "there" and "their" above. "Their" is correct; "there" is not.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/12/18 7:50 am

Heavens! THREE errors! I had totally overlooked "waist" of time, which should be "waste." This is what happens when you're legally blind for ten years, but were eagle-eyed for the preceding 56 years!

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/12/18 11:10 am

There are four errors, maybe five. I’m not sure about the fifth.

“Was” should be “were.” The plural subject does not match the singular verb form.

As I said, I’m not sure about the fifth one. Is it correct to use “Bernie” (a noun) to modify “supporters.” Should it be “supporters of Bernie” or “voters who supported Bernie”?

My goodness! Does our President really write this ungrammatically?

ozzy
06/12/18 1:33 pm

Tom : I meant to ask you. I keep seeing words that used to have a “z” in them being replaced with an “s”. Such as denuclearization now denuclearisation. Why is this happening ???

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/16/18 7:11 am

@TomLaney1 Did you see my additional comments here?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/16/18 10:24 am

Ozzy - the S is the British spelling.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/16/18 10:29 am

Alice, "four errors" is the correct total. "Were" is correct.
"Bernie" is a noun acting as an adjective. It's Kosher. 😉 ❤️

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/16/18 12:23 pm

I know “were” is correct, but the sentence used “was.”

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/16/18 1:46 pm

💠 JLe asked:

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/16/18 1:49 pm

Tom, I’m sorry. I just reread your comment. I see now that I misunderstood your point. You were agreeing with me about “were.”

That’s what I get for doing SOH, when I’m distracted by something else! 😕

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/16/18 6:24 pm

All my errors above were what I got for trying to answer grammar queries on colonoscopy day! 😆