badattitude June 11th, 2018 2:08pm

Some Americans resent President Trump for trying to get better trade deals. President Trump and America gets hammered by elements on both the left and the right when the statement “enough is enough on trade” is proclaimed. Should he try to deal?

benseth 11,780 votes
06/11/18 11:03 am

It’s that he’s misrepresenting facts to get better deals for the elites, not the average American. Mostly, the reason for the resentment is that he said he was gonna do the opposite when he was campaigning.

DanielWebb
06/11/18 9:07 am

We should always push for the elimination of all tariffs, and we should lead the way by eliminating all of ours. By eliminating our tariffs, our economy will prosper and grow, and we will be honorably and effectively playing our role as leader of the FREE world.

06/11/18 9:10 am

Did us eliminating all tariffs previously for the last 50 years do anything to convince our trading partners to remove theirs? Time for a new strategy.

DanielWebb
06/11/18 9:14 am

Yes, after WWII there was a huge international effort to reduce tariffs worldwide, and effort which we helped lead, not through threats or intimidation, as Trump is doing. And as we lowered our tariffs, other nations did as well. And our nation’s GDP has grown because of every trade deal that reduced OUR tariffs, as tariffs cause more harm to the nations that impose them, than they do to the nations with which they trade. Just read Adam Smith.

06/11/18 3:33 pm

That’s great. But it didn’t go very far because everyone else charges us huge tariffs. Or they subsidize the company. I’ve talked to a lot of people from all over the world about cars. British, Germans, Japanese, you name it. All those cars are nearly double the price in Germany, England, Japan, than they are here. I know a guy that bought a Westfalia camper here for half price and shipped it back to Germany. Great that I can buy a Jag for half price, but not great for Ford selling here.

DanielWebb
06/11/18 4:46 pm

Breck, the bottom line in the difference between our viewpoint on tariffs is that you believe that tariffs hurt other nations, whereas I believe tariffs cause far more damage to the nation that imposes them.

So if we have tariffs, it’s OUR economy that suffers the most.

06/11/18 6:46 pm

My viewpoint is that everyone is saying that America will be hurt if we impose tariffs on other countries, but apparently it’s working just fine for the other countries to impose tariffs on us. Don’t you think that If it was killing them they would stop imposing tariffs on us? Does it only work one way and not the other?

DanielWebb
06/11/18 8:01 pm

Breck, who pays the tariffs? It’s not other countries. It’s our own consumers, both American individuals and businesses. Why do you think our businesses will be better off if they have to pay higher prices for parts and materials? Why do you think our consumers will be better off if they have less disposable income because of higher consumer prices? Why do you think our retirees will be better off if the companies in their 401ks are less profitable?

Every nation that imposes tariffs protects some of their businesses from foreign competition by hurting everyone else in their country, and the overall effect is a reduction on GDP.

DanielWebb
06/11/18 8:03 pm

Chinese tariffs are bad for China.
Mexican tariffs are bad for Mexico.
Canadian tariffs are bad for Canada.
And US tariffs are bad for the US.

06/11/18 8:05 pm

I don’t think our businesses or consumers will be better off. I don’t want to pay more for foreign goods any more than you do. But apparently in Britain, Germany, China and every other country, they pay extra for our goods. And apparently it’s good for their country or they would stop.

DanielWebb
06/11/18 8:25 pm

That’s not true. Politicians don’t always do what is in the best interests of their countries - you agree with that statement, right? Politicians do what they need to do to get elected. Tariffs are one of those things that sound good to most voters, but just because a majority believes something, doesn’t mean they are right.

historylover
06/11/18 8:35 am

Trump’s acknowledgment of the unfair trade practices which the United States has endured for decades was one of the main reasons I voted for President Trump.

NYevo NY
06/11/18 8:25 am

I like that he tries for better deals, but he should figure out a better way to do it. There are plenty of successful business people that don’t come off like a brash, petulant, child

06/11/18 8:27 am

I feel ya. But it’s the end results we’re looking for not a touchy feely result.

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/11/18 8:39 am

The ends don’t justify the means, break

06/11/18 8:42 am

Sure they do. Tell me another way to get them to lower tariffs without a bomb? Nice guy tactics didn’t work. We’ve had zero or nearly zero on them forever hoping they would play nice, and they just laughed at us. We’re a joke to them.

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/11/18 8:45 am

We are a joke to them?
No - they fear us and will band together against us if need be.

DanielWebb
06/11/18 9:10 am

NY, I agree. I don’t have much faith in Trump’s diplomacy style, if you can even call it that, and I don’t agree with his strategy of the threat of a trade war, but, and this is a big but, if in the end many nations, including our own, have reduced their tariffs and other barriers to trade, then I will give credit where credit is owed. But the jury is currently out - we’ll have to wait and see if Mr. Trump is successful or not.

06/11/18 9:11 am

Band together? To what end? If we stop buying their products, they will fail, not us. They need us.

06/11/18 9:22 am

You’re right Daniel. It’s a big gamble. And if we all get zero or nearly zero tariffs then we all win. Apparently, according to the left and right it’s fatal for the US to impose tariffs. And apparently it’s good for every other country to impose tariffs on us. I’m not sure how that works.

NYevo NY
06/11/18 10:00 am

I’m not saying that he (we) don’t have a fair fight to pick. I’m saying that there are successful people in this world who get things done in ways that come across better. And yes, the jury is very much still out. And yes, I will give him credit if due.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
06/11/18 8:18 am

You make it sound like ethics and equity are incompatible.

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/11/18 8:17 am

I have a problem with seeing my country being managed by “deals” - I would rather have my country managed by a philosophy of fair and equitable.
Has Trump done this? Does he continue to? I think overall the answer is yes, but I don’t like the idea of an ad with a guy screaming “Man - I have a DEAL for you!” while balloons and confetti are falling all around.
Totally a mental picture sort of thing.

06/11/18 8:30 am

I think he is trying to get us a fair deal. That’s the whole point isn’t it? Right now it’s not fair. We all want zero tariffs. We have always given them fair nearly zero tariffs hoping they would play along. But they just laughed at us and told us how stupid we are. So. Now what. We gotta do something.

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/11/18 8:37 am

I understand the premise - I have an issue with the style of presentation. The tactics, the language, the reactions over the few good things accomplished are swallowed by the reactions to the fubars.
I suppose I should be satisfied that at least at the G7 meeting he didn’t push another world leader out of the way to get to someone else he wanted to talk at. (Not to - at)

06/11/18 8:40 am

Well, he’s not the most gracious negotiator. But that’s not the point is it. Zero tariffs is the point. And at least they know now that we don’t like them hitting us. They should lower tariffs soon because they cannot take the hits like we can.

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/11/18 8:43 am

Hmmmm - even in the Art of War the warrior is gracious and respectful.

GlockMan1 Alabama
06/11/18 7:29 am

Many years ago, I sold cars. Some people didn’t care about a good deal and I as the salesman loved those customers. It was the ones who squeezed my commissions that I hated to deal with. Those countries that Trump is squeezing will whine and complain but they will give in. The deal is not as sweet but it’s better than nothing.

06/11/18 7:31 am

I like this part. “His threats of tariffs and unnecessary personal darts are rattling our trade partners who are used to doing what they want unchallenged. The proposed tariffs are driving the narrative but how else will anything change?”

06/11/18 7:33 am

I think he’s right when he says that the tariffs will hurt them a lot more than they will hurt us and they will give in and drop the tariffs very soon.

Jazzy5 USA
06/11/18 7:33 am

You must have dealt with my husband..
NOTE: inside the EU- they are tariff free to each other!!!!!!
Forget that- fight for a deal or no tariffs for G7..