ptellini June 10th, 2018 1:02am

Christians: how long did it take for God to create everything?

Isomax TIC TOC
06/14/18 5:17 pm

6 days. If dark and light were separate and the dark was called night , and the light was called day. The rest is easy to grasp. Sundown to sundown is a day and also the length of the sabbath.

ThunderStar South Carolina
06/10/18 10:39 pm

Six days. Now whether that “six days” is translated to same thing as six days to us is a different question.

06/11/18 2:42 am

Here is your answer:
Exodus 20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that [is] in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

lj74
06/10/18 6:25 pm

I know what the Bible says, but I don’t know how to translate that into real time.

06/11/18 2:42 am

lj74
06/11/18 5:39 am

As I said, I know what the Bible says. Translate six days into real time

voc I am...what I am
06/11/18 5:57 am

I agree with lj and what he means is how long was a day? 24 hours? 2400 years? 2400000 years?

06/11/18 5:59 am

Why would this verse say this if it wasn’t 24 hours?

lj74
06/11/18 6:25 am

Some of the Bible stories are told as allegories

lj74
06/11/18 6:25 am

Some of the Bible stories are told as allegories

thebarr
06/10/18 5:26 pm

You’re asking that about a timeless being. From out point of view: 14.5 billion years. From God’s: The eternal now.

06/10/18 5:58 pm

God is not a matter of timeless. He is eternal. No amount of time can be directly compared to eternity.
God told us how long it took.

ronderman North Carolina
06/10/18 12:50 pm

Exactly how long he wanted it to take.

06/10/18 3:09 pm

Fortunately, God made it quite clear how long it took.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/10/18 9:45 am

How long is a day in God’s domain? Carlin always asked if God could create a rock so massive that even He couldn’t pick it up.

06/10/18 9:47 am

Gods domain is eternity, where time does not exist.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/10/18 10:01 am

You didn’t answer the question. We have no concept of a “day” except in our own pinprick of understanding of the universe. Nobody can answer it on this planet, but who’s to say a day for God could equal 1 million years to you or I as we understand reality?

06/10/18 10:04 am

The Bible answers that question very clearly.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/10/18 10:04 am

The Bible clearly references “days.” That said, a unit of measure was indicative of each period of creation. Eternal and timeless are moot to implicate with regard to creation as the Bible refutes this.

06/10/18 10:07 am

The verse in Exodus that refers to the days of creation in the sabbath should actually put the whole argument of how long a day is to a rest.
If you believe that all verses in the Bible are true, then there should be no issue with six 24 hour days.

cpaswr just say the letters
06/10/18 7:42 am

It depends. Is God included in everything?

06/10/18 7:43 am

I don’t understand the question.

cpaswr just say the letters
06/10/18 7:46 am

Everything is an all encompassing word. Is God included in everything or not?

06/10/18 7:48 am

God‘s handiwork is shown in everything.

06/10/18 7:32 am

I don’t know. The only record we have of the event was written by people who did not describe the events in literal terms.
What matters is that God did create the universe.

06/10/18 7:48 am

You say they were not described in literal terms. We obviously disagree in this.
God said how long it took to create everything.
Once you start doing this with the Bible, pretty much anything goes and the credibility of the Bible is ruined.

06/10/18 7:49 am

No, there’s no risk of slippery slope as long as you’re comfortable with hermeneutics.

06/10/18 7:51 am

I am completely comfortable with the hermeneutics, because I have studied it and it is consistent with context, scripture and genre.
The only reason to take it as anything but literally, is to impose our biased view.

06/10/18 7:53 am

What’s bizarre to me is that fundamentalists are desperate to impose a literal interpretation on genesis, and ignore the role and method of the inspired author to maintain that interpretation-
But when it comes to verses where the literal interpretation actually does have relevance to our salvation, like Luke 22:19, which was literally stated by God and transcribed by the evangelists, using very literal terminology and clear intent, which the apostles reacted to in that same spirit, you guys throw the literal interpretation out the window.

06/10/18 7:54 am

And I would bet that you, like me, do not believe in the preexistence of souls- but to get to there you’d have to use a non-literal interpretation of genesis.

06/10/18 7:56 am

The problem is we have no reason within the Bible to give it anything but a literal interpretation.
You have to look at the context of the scripture that you provided. Of course he’s not going to say that we must be cannibals.

06/10/18 7:59 am

Check out Dr. Chuck Missler. He is far more educated than both of us combined.
He has an awesome study on Genesis.

06/10/18 8:11 am

Chuck? No thanks. He’s just another anti-catholic hack.

If we’re making recommendations, you should check out Jimmy Akin. He used to be just like you, but is now a very well educated catholic theologian and a great apologist.
www.jimmyakin.org

Tim Staples is another great former evangelical turned catholic apologist. You can check out parts of his conversion story “Jimmy Swaggart made me catholic” on YouTube.

06/10/18 8:17 am

No thanks to Chuck? Lol
He is extremely educated.

06/10/18 8:23 am

I don’t put much stock in your assessment there since you’ve told me more than once that education doesn’t really matter when it comes to biblical knowledge and understanding.

06/10/18 8:23 am

And I’m familiar enough with chuck to wonder why anyone would recommend him- particularly to someone he would just as soon attack and condemn as evangelize.

06/10/18 8:34 am

I’m not surprised at all in your assessment.
His context is the Bible.
Yours is Catholicism.
That’s the difference.

06/10/18 8:38 am

I agree. If only he had the fullness of revelation in both Scripture AND Tradition, through the Church Christ established, he might be a better resource.

I strongly recommend Akin and Staples. They’re a good place to start for you since they had the same attitude and misconceptions you do prior to their conversions.

06/10/18 8:39 am

And if you’d ever like to have a polite conversation like the one I tried to start with you, just let me know.
Have a nice day.

06/10/18 9:02 am

I have actually studied a lot on Catholicism, because of all the controversy views.
I know you don’t believe that, so it is what it is. This exchange has been rather polite.

06/10/18 9:03 am

At this point in my life, I am not interested in studying Catholicism.
I stick with studying the Bible.

06/10/18 9:25 am

Then you’re welcome to come to a catholic bible study sometime. Or come to mass, where we read the Bible every day.

06/10/18 9:26 am

You’re also welcome to pick up a catholic bible sometime. The Protestant bible is incomplete as Luther and co took out the books that didn’t agree with them.

06/10/18 9:27 am

You assume I have done none of the above.

06/10/18 9:27 am

You also assume that I have not done any research on the history of the Bible.

06/10/18 9:28 am

I’m not assuming anything. Just drawing logical conclusions from your comments, and making polite suggestions.

06/10/18 3:37 pm

You are assuming a lot about me. Because I disagree with you, I am wrong and should do more research. It’s like my interactions with atheists.
I thought this was a polite exchange.

06/10/18 4:12 pm

It’s a reasonable conclusion given your persistent and deliberate misrepresentations and outright lies about my religion.
Either you’re ignorant or you’re deliberately malicious in your attempts to smear my faith.
Which is it?

06/10/18 4:15 pm

Anyone can claim to be making a reasonable or logical conclusion. That does not mean it qualifies.

06/10/18 4:28 pm

You say I smear your religion, but it’s rare that I bring up Catholicism or say anything about it.

06/10/18 5:01 pm

I don’t recall a single conversation between where you didn’t attempt to turn the topic toward your misunderstandings and misrepresentations of Catholicism.
I don’t recall a single poll about Catholics where you didn’t show up to spread more lies about us.
You have an axe to grind.

06/10/18 5:07 pm

Your opinions aside, I rarely talk about Catholicism, unless it is it is brought up.

06/10/18 5:45 pm

Do you realize that the main topic of our discussions revolve around Genesis 1?
Of the many issues that I have with Catholicism, that is the main topic.
I find that rather intriguing.

06/10/18 6:16 pm

So are you admitting that you deliberately take digs at Catholics whenever possible?
Not very Christian of you...

06/10/18 6:19 pm

I don’t take your judgements of me serious, so spare me the talking points.
You missed the point I was making any way.
This is getting very old.
Just end the thread.

06/10/18 6:26 pm

I tried that hours ago.

06/10/18 4:16 am

I believe God created everything in six days, because he said so in this verse.

If six days is not the timeframe that God created everything, this verse is not true and the Bible is unreliable.

CosmicOcean
06/09/18 11:59 pm

6 days, but I’m not sure if it is 24 hour days, or days for God, or what.

06/10/18 3:30 am

According to this verse, He did.

Carcano Luke 10 19
06/09/18 10:05 pm

God doesn’t abide by the concept of time

06/10/18 3:34 am

Since He created time, He created everything in a timeframe.

06/10/18 3:34 am

Carcano Luke 10 19
06/10/18 2:04 pm

God works outside of time. The Bible was written for stupid humans to understand. Our brains cannot understand the full scope of time and space until we die.

Advil sc
06/09/18 10:02 pm

God created the Universe by setting the laws of nature (physics, chemistry and mathematics and probably additional laws we don’t know about) in motion an infinite number of years ago. They continue to operate today. Cell phone technology was available to Moses but it took three or four thousand years for humans to understand how to use it. We are still discovering new aspects of nature. Time is irrelevant to God. By the way, Creation predates the Big Bang theory.

06/10/18 3:35 am

geoag02 Dallas, TX
06/09/18 10:01 pm

6 periods of time.

06/10/18 3:31 am

geoag02 Dallas, TX
06/10/18 6:45 am

I think the phrase “there was morning and there was evening the ____ day.” is much stronger evidence for your point. However the Bible was not written by scientifically literate people who use metaphors all over the place. It was inspired by God and that covers a lot, but remember that all sorts of stuff could be a metaphor for something and often several different things simultaneously.

06/10/18 6:54 am

You need to keep everything in its context and use the rest of Bible to interpret it.
Aside from scientist biases, there is no reason not to take the creation account literally. That section of Exodus confirms this.

hlb
06/09/18 9:44 pm

Create everything? People are born everyday, so I guess the closest answer is infinity.

06/10/18 3:35 am

Infinity does not exist in time.

hfhgsrjjdf
06/09/18 9:34 pm

6 literal 24-hour days and rested on the seventh. I asked something similar to this a few weeks ago. It's a good question, and Christians should take it seriously. @ptellini

06/10/18 3:33 am

I 1000% agree.

princess27 Trump Card
06/09/18 9:24 pm

6. Rested on the 7th

evoecon nearest binary system
06/09/18 8:37 pm

God speaks and creation occurs. I am not sure God is finished, making everything.

06/10/18 3:37 am

Gods word says that He is finished creating everything. Gods Word says there is nothing new under the sun.

06/10/18 7:28 am

@ptellini serious question- if you believe God created everything already, do you believe in the preexistence of the soul?

06/10/18 7:41 am

I believe that God had pre-knowledge of our souls, but not that our souls had pre-existence. I have not come across any verses that say otherwise.
Due to Genesis 1:1 I don’t see any reason to believe otherwise, since nothing existed before then.

06/10/18 7:47 am

Not pre-universe existence, but that all souls were created when God created everything else, based on the idea that if He’s done creating everything, and only God can create a soul, then all souls must already have been created and are waiting to be born.

evoecon nearest binary system
06/10/18 8:04 am

Milk, I believe all souls were created and present during the angels fall. As a result, all souls must be born of woman and accept the messiah’s sacrifice to redeem their soul.

06/10/18 8:46 am

Are you a Mormon, evo? I don’t run into many Christians who believe in preexistence of souls.
I don’t, for the record. I was only bringing it up as an example of literal interpretations of scripture that fundamentalists reject.

evoecon nearest binary system
06/10/18 8:55 am

Not a Mormon. I assume they consider this to be a truth.

I am just a Christian. In my efforts to understand the need for a Messiah and the redemption of my soul, I have come to believe all the souls were created at the beginning. That all souls were present when Lucifer rebelled against God. As many as 2/3 of the souls were a part of the rebellion, possibly including me. Instead of destroying all of these created souls, God resolved to provide a second chance, before a second and final judgement. Those souls redeemed will enjoy a restored existence of eternal life. The other souls will join the Fallen Angels and be consumed in fire.

06/10/18 8:56 am

I don’t think any of that is biblical.

evoecon nearest binary system
06/10/18 8:57 am

Thank you for your opinion.

Peace be with you.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/09/18 8:35 pm

He could have done it all in a fraction of a nanosecond, but He took His time and did it all in just six twenty-four hour days, and rested for a seventh. We know this because He says in Genesis 1 that "the evening and the morning were the (third, or sixth, or whichever) day." This precisely describes the Hebraic reckoning of a twenty-four hour day, beginning at sunset and ending at the next sundown.
He took an entire six days to do what He could have done with a finger-snap to teach us by example how to observe the Sabbath. ✟✡

Think Lovin Life
06/10/18 10:07 am

Tom ... and what we don’t know is that the earth rotates around the sun with the same period that it does today.

Again, the unnecessary restriction on Heavenly Father from a text written thousands of years after the fact in poetic fashion is a dangerous and self-limiting approach.

This is an unforced conflict that has more to do with the pride and rigidity of those promoting the six 24 hour period than anything else.

I ask you, given that all things are possible with God, is it possible that the morning didn’t follow hours after the sunset? Is it possible that the earth didn’t spin on the same axis at the same velocity and with the same period at the time of the creation?

And if that is possible, why do some continue to force this unnecessary restriction on God?

06/11/18 2:46 am

Because God meaning what He says and being held His word is so restricting.
The real problem is with people like you trying to fit your own narrative into the Bible.

NemoDude Dead, at this point
06/09/18 8:24 pm

6 days. God knows how long that is for God, though.

06/10/18 3:37 am

Think Lovin Life
06/09/18 7:20 pm

PT ... your obsession with this unknowable topic is unhealthy. God created the world in six creative periods.

What matters most is that God them sent His Son to die for our sins. Because of His sacrifice we can live again. The precise number of our seconds that it took to create the earth has no value by comparison to the Atonement.

evoecon nearest binary system
06/09/18 8:38 pm

True. It could have been 60 billion years.