AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/09/18 5:11 pm

When I saw that this poll wasn't 100%, I knew it was you before I even checked. :P

Constitutionist Southern Illinois
06/09/18 6:01 pm

Why? Are you a stupid commie?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/09/18 6:32 pm

Yes constitutionalist, he is. Thinks Stalin was a great guy. Loves N Korea. Hates the US. Lol

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
06/09/18 7:28 pm

RT, I can handle this myself.

I have communist sympathies, as communists have traditionally been the only ones with any principled opposition to imperialism and the the only ones with any serious attempt to even understand imperialism. But I'm not a communist because I think communism nevertheless falls short of the task at hand. I'm inspired by some Maoist ideas, but I'm inspired by tons of things.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/09/18 7:35 pm

Wait wait wait. You think that the US in the 21st century is an unacceptably imperialist menace but communism was fine? I don't want to assume your position or anything but if that's why you're a communist sympathizer... I mean, what do you think of the Comintern?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
06/09/18 7:42 pm

I don't agree with the comintern for a variety of reasons, mostly related to my disagreements with Soviet policy, and not wanting that policy to be pushed on other socialist nations, but in principle I don't have a problem with it. Imperialism is a complex phenomenon, and it's not reducible to "another country told me what to do."

If we want to define it as fundamentally as possible, I would say that imperialism is the tendency for the world to be divided into developed centers and underdeveloped peripheries, and the tendency for these peripheries to have their economies (and all of society) structurally adjusted (to borrow World Bank jargon) according to the interests of the centers. Soviet expansion, despite its own negative side effects, partially liberated nations from imperialism, and that's a good thing, even if Soviet policy itself was far from perfect.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
06/09/18 7:44 pm

I should also clarify that Soviet expansion was highly exaggerated. They didn't support the Chinese revolution, the Korean war, and helped Vietnam only out of self-interest in opposing the expansion of the Chinese sphere of influence. They mostly just wanted peaceful coexistence with the west, which is both profoundly positive and profoundly negative.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/10/18 10:26 am

Oh yeah, sorry Doc. I was out of line. My apologies.