Show Of Hands March 22nd, 2013 7:20am

Have you ever participated in funding a Kickstarter project?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/22/13 9:09 am

I never did, but came close with the guys that were working on a transparent overlay for the iPad that had clicky-feel bumps aligned with the virtual keyboard to allow you to touch-type on it. Seemed like a great idea, but the timeline was just too far out for devices that get upgraded so often.

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
03/22/13 8:03 am

Love to help the 3d pen.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/22/13 7:17 am

I didn't know about it until the Veronica Mars movie project (which yes, I gave money to, I'm not ashamed to say). It's pretty cool, so I will probably be giving towards other projects soon.

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 7:09 am

I've only participated in one so far but I think the concept is intriguing.

I kicked in $20 bucks to someone who wanted to make permanent stainless steel
mesh filters for AeroPress coffee makers, eliminating the need for paper filters. I now have 2 metal filters and I like them.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 5:45 am

I haven't funded one, but I have a couple of artists exploring it... In fact, I did a little work on a guy's album last year that raised a pretty big chunk. He's was already an established, successful artist though.
I think it's a cool idea

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 7:57 am

Ya know, I will and here's why: I trust you guys & I'm gonna vent.
His name is Bryan Duncan, lives in California, & was an iconic gospel singer in the 80's. 17 no. 1 hits on the Billboard Contemporary Christian charts, multiple 'Dove' awards, & I think even a Grammy nomination or 2. *TOTAL DOUCHE!*

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 8:01 am

The scenario is this... My oldest daughter is school friends with a girl whose dad is a really fine sax player here in town (named Tim)
Tim called & asked what I would charge to record some sax parts for a friend's new album. Since Tim's a friend & a great guy, AND because I don't have a ton of

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 8:04 am

experience recording woodwinds, I told him I'd do it in my small home studio *gratis.* Figured it was for an independent project & would be fun.
So it turns out it was for Bryan Duncan's new album that he funded with Kickstarter.
Bryan and his engineer *wore me out* on the phone & email wanting

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 8:07 am

extra parts & edits until it got to the point where I really spent a lot of time recording all those parts, editing them, getting the files ready for upload, etc.
*Never offered me a single dime.* On top of that, didn't even give me credit as a recording engineer in his liner notes!
Just left a

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 8:11 am

really sour taste in my mouth. Started out as a favor for a friend, & my niceness totally got played by a burned-out artist who was being a complete tightwad OPPORTUNIST.
Had I charged hourly, it was several hundred $$$ worth of work for someone that does what I do.
Great singer, but total D-Bag ????

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 8:34 am

That's pretty horrible, all around. Not disclosing what the actual deal was & taking advantage of your gratis offer are plenty bad enough, but not crediting you is somehow even worse to me. And totally not in the Kickstarter spirit.

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 8:36 am

And you might want to ask Tony to not make this poll public - I doubt if he would since it didn't happen this morning, but just in case.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/22/13 8:39 am

Want to record some clarinet for my upcoming album?

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/22/13 8:41 am

I agree with Susan, that sounds awful.
The professional you clashing with the personal you all the time isn't good for the soul.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 8:42 am

Squidward??

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 8:47 am

Well, again... had my friend Tim told me 'this project is for an established recording artist' and not just for some joe-shmoe demo project, I would have definitely invoiced for it.
Tim did offer to pay initially, but I declined. So it's partially my fault for not doing a little more research

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/22/13 9:03 am

MrWolfe I remember you mentioning in one of the polls a while back getting taken advantage of but hoping it might work out. Wondered about the story. Bummer. It wouldn't have even cost anything to have given you credit for the work, which somehow makes that part of it the worst, at least to me.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 9:26 am

Zodd- welcome to the entertainment world! Absolutely as cut-throat as any business on the planet. Better have thick skin, or you will get eaten alive!
The biggest thing I've ever had to deal with in my career was in 2011-2012 having to proceed with litigation on contract work completed & unpaid for

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 9:29 am

I have spent the better part of the past 2 years in financial crisis because of it, and am just now starting to recover.
Long story short, I produced a handful of albums for multiple artists for a record label here starting in 2009.
By summer 2011, all work had been completed, yet no $$$

MrWolfe Nashville
03/22/13 9:33 am

Label didn't act fraudulently (after discussing it with my *very* expensive downtown Nashville ent. attorney) Just simply in the red.
Regardless, I was not able to pay my bills & they were selling the product!
It took 14 months to finally collect all of it, and thousands of $$ in legal fees. No fun!

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/22/13 1:56 am

Nearly. Unfortunately I was out of money, but my favorite band got back together and they're recording a kick starter-funded album!

Check 'em out: fiveironfrenzy.com/

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 6:54 am

Asking what Kickstarter is? It's a company that helps entrepreneurial projects get going, by crowd sourcing the funding, from several thousand dollars to several million.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/22/13 6:56 am

No, I was asking what was your inspiration?

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 7:06 am

Funny, I was just writing that as my comment, so I'll just put most of it here instead: I was thinking about Annie mentioning the 3D pen project when I saw a news article about a Fort Collins Kickstarter project, making bamboo bicycles (I've said this is a bike-crazy town). Got me wondering.

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 7:11 am

The product concepts are cool (and that's all I've participated in so far) but I think the possibilities for other sorts of projects are wide open and really interesting.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/22/13 7:17 am

Ah, ok.
On the Palestine poll, are you the one that liked my last comment?on the Semite debate?

Emma Austin.ish.
03/22/13 7:20 am

Oh man, that poll was the first time my husband ever really commented on anything. And then I couldn't pull him off of it!

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/22/13 7:25 am

Mk, it got ugly.
Me being me didn't help.
I didn't even know about this until high school.
In my house growing up, color and nationality weren't treated as anything different.
Except the French, holy crap my father hates the French.

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 7:27 am

Yes. I wanted to reply, but haven't thought what to say, except "thank you" and "whatcha mean by 'leash'?"

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 7:31 am

Yes! That's the project, and that's our towns little newspaper. Looks like they made their goal, but not a whole lot above it. Crazy bike people.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/22/13 7:33 am

I have ,what's most generally referred to, a "bulldog mouth".....
Leash made sense.
Probably shoulda said something first.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/22/13 7:35 am

I'd buy one.
Pretty neat, except it doesn't have a motor.
????

susanr Colorado
03/22/13 3:14 pm

I wouldn't. Costs too much for me. But I think they're pretty cool.