PamGH June 8th, 2018 3:35pm

AK: new bill: if a crime was committed in his or her youth and who has served a minimum of 20 years to have a sentence reviewed by a judge to determine whether second chance is merited.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
06/10/18 12:06 pm

Depends on the crime. If someone raped, sodomized and say dismembered someone while they're half dead, no, they should not be released. (I watch too much Forensic Files) But if it's something minor like bank robbery or selling reefer, by all means

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/08/18 2:20 pm

AR, not AK. Reviewed at 20, and every 20 years thereafter, taking into account all factors, including the nature of the violent crime they committed in the first place, and especially the likelihood we will ever have to deal with them again if we release them early, maybe. Not automatic or anywhere close to automatic for sure.

jlong105 Indiana
06/08/18 9:02 am

I can agree with this one.

DanielWebb
06/08/18 8:48 am

I would like to see all sentences reduced to 10 years or less. People should get a second chance.

PamGH Washington
06/08/18 8:56 am

I hear you, but I just can’t make quite that big of a leap.

DanielWebb
06/08/18 9:01 am

Don’t most European nations have much shorter prison terms than us? I don’t know all the stats, but I think that is the case.

PamGH Washington
06/08/18 9:03 am

Yes, indeed they do, but Timothy McVey types should not be doing 10 yrs then be considered for release, imho. I agree with you in the vast majority of cases, but there are some really bad people out there that have done some unbelievable things.

DanielWebb
06/08/18 9:05 am

I’d be fine with that. So maybe 80 to 90% of sentences should be reduced to 10 years or less? To allow for the extreme cases like the ones you mentioned?

AceCoolie Oregon
06/08/18 4:41 pm

What about the victims? Oh, I forgot, no one cares about them.

DanielWebb
06/08/18 5:15 pm

It’s possible to care about both.