CMChristian June 6th, 2018 4:34pm

Without looking it up, can you tell me who Alan Turing was and what he did?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/07/18 11:22 am

Alan Turning was a genius who helped the British allied side win the great patriotic war. Then they discovered he was gay and ruined his life. It’s like Putin was running the UK at the time.
Shame on Great Britain.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/06/18 1:03 pm

Of course. He is an important figure from the early days of AI, among many other things, with a truly fascinating biography. His life would make a great movie. I myself have even passed the Turing test. Barely.

phalnx Ohio
06/06/18 12:21 pm

Easily. He was a British Mathematician who was involved in AI research when that was first a thing, and as kind of a PR stunt, he developed this test that a computer must pass in order to be considered 'truly intelligent,' whatever that means. Far more importantly, he codeveloped a Chess algorithm for implementation on a future computer, thus making a small but important contribution to the advancement of videogame technology.

He was also gay, and that was against the law in Britain back then (the '50's), so he was given a choice of jail or drug therapy. He chose the drugs, and lasted a year on them before he committed suicide.

DanielWebb
06/06/18 10:50 am

Yes, I watched the imitation game.

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
06/06/18 10:48 am

Was crucial in decrypting German codes during WW2.

mudkip17 United States of Texas
06/06/18 10:13 am

He has something to do with AI so I'm guessing a computer scientist

susanr Colorado
06/06/18 10:47 am

That and more. He was also a critical codebreaker during WWII.

He was gay, and was prosecuted & convicted for that. He was pardoned by Queen Elizabeth, posthumously - he had died way long before, at an appallingly young age.

Look up “Turing test” sometime, if you’re unfamiliar with the term.

Wow... This poll reminded me that I have a biography of Turing among the audiobooks that I’ve bought but haven’t listened to yet. I just took a look at it; it’s almost 31 hours long... that’s 2-3 times the length of most audiobooks. I can’t wait to get started on it, now.