doober72 June 5th, 2018 9:03pm

Do you use paid services for home delivery meals, lawn care, maids, car detailing, pool cleaners, oil changes, decorating, pet grooming, full service gas stations? If so, why so? If not, why not?

missmorganmarie ...
06/06/18 6:36 pm

pet grooming. cat goes for a bath and haircut tomorrow

Wackacrat Harford County
06/06/18 3:15 am

It’s cheaper to do it myself. I’m DYI-er when I can be.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/06/18 12:04 am

No, we’ve never paid for any of that. We’ve never had enough money to pay for things that we can do ourselves.

However, I have been a maid for others, when we really needed the money, when hubby was in college. I took my two toddlers with me to clean houses. They “helped” Mommy! Lol

...

PB246 California
06/05/18 11:26 pm

We have a house cleaner come about every 4-6 weeks. I take care of the clutter and laundry but she deep cleans. My husband is messy and I am a neat freak. It was becoming a thing for us and causing arguments a lot. So one day I just called for a house cleaner and he was happy because he could relax on weekends and I felt calm because the house felt clean. And then we stopped arguing about it and spent more time together. We then did the same thing with the gardener. We have a ton of plants to care for and it would take us forever to do all of it. So I hired someone and now it’s not a thing. And both of us work on the house clutter. It works for us.

rondo1 Colorado
06/05/18 8:49 pm

Wife does for cleaning. Not my idea.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/05/18 6:10 pm

Oil changes and pet grooming. Oil changes because I'm disabled, and pet grooming because we're not pet groomers. 🐾

theNobamist Silicon Valley
06/05/18 8:46 pm

Oil changes i get done, because I can't do them in the HIA driveway, and if I did, the CA regulations would require interest and dispose of it more carefully and in fewer places and at higher cost than if it were medical carcinogenic biohazard!

CA is anti-polymerist!

#polymerlivesmatter

paranoidandroid peace love science
06/05/18 5:52 pm

Oil changes. And in a couple of towns around here they only allow full serve gas stations.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/05/18 5:35 pm

Nope I am the maid and I really should fire myself because I do a terrible job. I’m a cook I deserve a raise because I’m fantastic. My husband details the cars.

jenkp223 Being a mommy
06/05/18 5:13 pm

Of all of those services that I would actually use, I can do them myself (or my husband can do it). The other services are unnecessary, but I would use professionals if needed. The only time I ever took my pets for grooming was because they won a contest for a free “spa day.” I will likely pay to get my car detailed when I’m ready to sell it.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
06/05/18 4:50 pm

From that list, only oil changes.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/05/18 3:54 pm

Mostly no. I do these things on my own more because I want them done right. A few exceptions though. I just had my house painted, I don’t have time for that. I usually have my oil changed at a quick lube place. For $20(I bring my own oil and filter) it’s less hassle and mess than doing it on my own. Although.....I do about half of the work on my vehicles.

susanr Colorado
06/05/18 3:41 pm

No, at least not when it would be an added expense. That is, through my rent I pay for yardwork and landscaping services, pool maintenance, etc. And if I had a car I wouldn’t have a choice about full-service gas stations - isn’t there only one state that still has self-service gas stations? But I don’t drive. (Does that mean I pay for the service of transportation? OK, but it’s all of $25 for a year’s bus pass. And I’ll be taking an airport shuttle that comes to my home for the first time, in two days.)

But otherwise, for ordinary household services that I can do myself, no. Partly because I don’t mind, or enjoy, doing those things myself. But also because I couldn’t afford to do it on a regular basis.

doober72 Vidalia, Ga.
06/05/18 3:44 pm

Great answer, lengthy, but great. ✌✌

lcamino Florida and Georgia
06/05/18 4:06 pm

I thought all gas stations were self service, before someone on SoH mentioned states that don’t allow people to pump there own gas.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
06/05/18 3:37 pm

We pay someone to do yard work.

doober72 Vidalia, Ga.
06/05/18 3:41 pm

Lcamino? ... Dublin?

lcamino Florida and Georgia
06/05/18 4:00 pm

Yes, in Dublin. We aren’t as spry as we used to be 😉

doober72 Vidalia, Ga.
06/05/18 4:04 pm

Ok, same here. Bout half way there but still riding that mower. It's therapeutic sometimes.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
06/05/18 3:33 pm

House cleaner.
And some dry cleaning (I'm terrible at ironing).

historylover
06/05/18 3:12 pm

I like to pay other people to do things that I don’t do very well and/or dislike doing. I’ve always hated housework. I’ve done decades of caring for the sick and incapacitated while working and attending college. I’ve taken care of lots of animals, especially cats. I like to cook and don’t mind doing laundry and running errands. Whenever I can pay for housework, I do it—because I hate it. And I don’t do yard work. I would rather earn the money and let someone else make money for that.