chickencookie June 5th, 2018 4:54pm

Designer Kate Spade has been found dead of an apparent suicide. She had so much success, fame and fortune yet she was still miserable. She was only 55. What drives a person to do this when they have money, success and doing what they love?

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/05/18 9:43 pm

Major Depressive Disorder

jlong105 Indiana
06/05/18 6:46 pm

The grass is always greener...

katerina13 stuck in the middle
06/05/18 4:27 pm

Speaking from extreme personal experience, she was most likely clinically depressed and had a chemical imbalance. When you can’t get that right, nothing is right. You have no hope, none whatsoever. And, you literally do not have the *ability* to care about anything or anyone. All you feel is numb. Nothing short of getting those chemicals fixed will help. I know exactly how she felt.

Jazzy5 USA
06/05/18 11:50 am

Chickencookie: I asked myself that same question..
I thought she was talented..
Maybe more will reveal itself, at a later date..
My son gave me one of her pocketbooks years ago.

omniku dot com
06/05/18 1:14 pm

I heard her husband was a raging alcoholic. Could be a rumor or it could be part of it. Success does not always equal happiness.

Jazzy5 USA
06/05/18 3:21 pm

Sad... to actually, take your life...

lcamino Florida and Georgia
06/05/18 11:05 am

Who can know what inner turmoil or chemical imbalance she suffered.

orgblu10 Shamerica
06/05/18 10:50 am

No matter what someone's life looks like from the outside, the inner environment may be intolerable. People, events, and circumstances impact individuals in ways no one else can imagine or fully relate to. She may have felt there was no way out of whatever she was experiencing.

DanielWebb
06/05/18 10:41 am

Very sad. My sister’s favorite designer.

cowboy Doors of Perception
06/05/18 10:31 am

Never heard of her but cowards come in all forms.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/05/18 10:59 am

She was a top designer for many years of handbags and ventured out to apparel and china, crystal and everything else.

cowboy Doors of Perception
06/05/18 11:11 am

Maybe it was the overwhelming guilt of overcharging for a purse?

Either way no good reason to leave a kid behind. She was obviously a selfish coward.

Zach21 California
06/05/18 11:39 am

I hate to admit it but I sort of agree with cowboy here. I can’t imagine that she was going through anything so bad that justifies leaving her husband and 13-year old daughter. I wouldn’t call her a coward necessarily, but mentally ill.

ronderman North Carolina
06/05/18 10:21 am

Lack of a higher purpose. I could get preachy, but I won’t.

GlockMan1 Alabama
06/05/18 11:29 am

Get preachy. It stirs the pot.

ronderman North Carolina
06/05/18 3:40 pm

It also turns off the people I am trying to reach. I’d rather be effective than “right”.

Feel free to be preachy if you want.

GlockMan1 Alabama
06/05/18 6:16 pm

People are turned off by their own sin. Even Christ and the Apostle Paul turned off the Pharisees. So much so that they plotted his death. Stop trying to be politically correct and stir the pot.

ronderman North Carolina
06/05/18 6:21 pm

Well Glock, you and I have different methods. Like I said. You may stir the pot if you wish.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
06/05/18 10:17 am

The only people who think money buys happiness are the people who don’t have money

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/05/18 11:00 am

The grass is always greener...

swervin Maryland
06/05/18 1:39 pm

I’ve had almost no money and I currently have a pretty decent sum. I can tell you, I would rather have what I do now than go back to being broke. Money might not be able to buy you happiness but it sure as hell can make happiness easier to find.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/05/18 10:07 am

She was obviously a creative person. Kate Spade was global. She just launched another business called Frances Valentine. I don’t know how it was doing. If not well, that might account for it. She also had a creative brother in law (David Spade...her husbands brother) and sister in law (Rachel Brosnahan...her brothers wife). Clearly this was a type A family. If she thought she didn’t measure up somehow....who knows?
What I find interesting is that a maid and her husband were home when she did it, apparently. Often those take place away from family unless there has been a fight. It will be interesting to hear the story but I feel sorry for her. I can’t imagine feeling like death is better than the life you are living, no matter what that life was. Perhaps we will discover, like Robin Williams, it was a medical condition.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/05/18 10:14 am

I have a few of her bags and a pair of pants. Hanging? Imagine opening the door to see that.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/05/18 10:06 am

She had a husband and 13 year old daughter. She hung herself. She just sold her company to Coach for $2.4 BILLION. Her products were always lively and colorful - bright pinks, coral, purple. PSA. Happiness lies within. Nobody has “it all”. Many are walking around in their own private hell. Thank God for small things in your life like good health which too many take for granted and even one friend you can talk to.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/05/18 10:10 am

She sold off her remaining stock in Kate Spade in 2006. Maybe money was an issue. She saw none of those billions

rons WOKE is sick
06/05/18 10:06 am

Fear of getting old.

MrsCrayonWax
06/05/18 10:03 am

Mental lllness

GlockMan1 Alabama
06/05/18 10:02 am

It is because their life lacks meaning and purpose. God “created” each of us for His purpose. When we try to fill it with fame or fortune or sex or drugs or alcohol....we wake up every morning empty. Suicide ends the emptiness.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/05/18 10:05 am

Well, I posted the question below and was about to post my comment, but you beat me to it. I couldn’t have said it better!

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/05/18 11:03 am

Well she was doing what she loved to do and was good at it which is much more than the average Joe going to work 9-5 and looking at the clock.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/05/18 11:07 am

I’ve found that the vast majority of people don’t get the most fulfillment from their jobs, but from their families and in the case of Christians, from their relationship with Jesus. I believe we all have a void in our hearts that ONLY God can fill with His love. Anything less would not be worth living, for me! My entire life is based around my love for Jesus, finding His will for my life, and worshipping & bringing honor to Him!

...

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/05/18 11:08 am

In fact, if you’re just looking at people and their jobs, that daily grind can wear you down, if you have nothing else to look forward to, even if you do enjoy your job and are good at it.

...

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
06/05/18 10:01 am

I would never want to be famous. I hope it wouldn't drive me to suicide, but it would be a nightmare. Some people can handle that kind of life, some even thrive in it, but for others it's too much.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/05/18 10:10 am

I would never want to be famous either but I pray God don’t think I could bring myself to do that. Maybe she had terminal cancer? Maybe her husband cheated on her? Maybe she had no money left? Idk. But her life did not look that empty to me. She had a child.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
06/05/18 10:59 am

Yah, I'm honestly not familiar with her and I'm certainly not familiar with her situation.

I'm sure many factors played a role and it's terrible that such a thing happened.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/05/18 10:00 am

💠 chickencookie asked:
06/05/2018

——

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/05/18 10:06 am

See my reply to GlockMan, just above. I couldn’t have said what I believe better than what he did.

I also think that some of it is clinical depression, as opposed to situational depression.

...

gluxford1 Arizona
06/05/18 9:59 am

Unhappiness and depression. Wealth and success can’t cure inner emptiness.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/05/18 10:11 am

You have to count your blessings. We have all had very low points in our lives where you can’t face another day. But....