snagglepuss June 5th, 2018 5:33am

Is what you do for a living more important than who you are as a person? (More important or less important?)

TheEngineerGuy
06/05/18 9:22 am

This user is currently being ignored

snagglepuss Story Time
06/05/18 5:17 pm

You are more than your work though.

orgblu10 Shamerica
06/05/18 7:56 am

Who you are is, of course, more important. But if you can reflect who you are through your work in a way that provides a benefit to others and is satisfying to yourself, you're probably in the niche you were meant to be. I felt that way in two positions in my life, as a high school baseball coach and a community college academic counselor. Unfortunately, most of the time my work has been not much more than a job and a paycheck.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/05/18 5:18 pm

I get what you’re saying. I also know there is more to you than sports.

orgblu10 Shamerica
06/05/18 5:29 pm

Definitely. But in both of those jobs, when I was doing them, it just poured out of me naturally. Even today, when I'm on the field helping my youngest daughter with her hitting or fielding, it's like I go on automatic pilot. Same when I'm helping my oldest daughter plan her college schedule and explain why she should arrange her classes a certain way. The other jobs I had weren't much above drudgery. Huge contrast. It sounds like you're similar in how you conduct your work.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/05/18 5:50 pm

I’m a natural helper. I’ve always helped my Mom, helped my friends, helped my teachers. It was just natural for me to go into social work. I enjoy being an advocate for others and helping them live better lives.

It was also a way for me to take my past abuse and use my experience for good. Like a healing way to process what happened and turn it into something good.

I need time to be myself and be pampered too or I get run down.

I was just thinking about class reunions and how the first thing people ask is, “What do you do?”

....

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
06/05/18 1:12 am

I am blessed to have been able to combine my career and my passions.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/05/18 2:48 am

That is the dream. Do what you love and you never work a day in your life.

imanag My heaven on Earth
06/04/18 11:22 pm

I like being a special education teacher. I love being the mother of a special needs boy and his amazing, loving brothers.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/05/18 2:50 am

You are able to make the world a better place at work and at home. You are more than a Mom and a teacher though. You are a cook, you are a wife, you are a daughter and you have your hobbies and dreams.

...

imanag My heaven on Earth
06/05/18 12:55 pm

Indeed I do. 😊

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/18 10:47 pm

Like a guy I used to work with used to say all the time, “I am not my job”.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/04/18 10:54 pm

When I interned in Child Protective Services the supervisor noticed I was always the last to leave the office. She told me, “You work to live, not live to work.”

I always remember that when I’m burning myself out.

....

snagglepuss Story Time
06/04/18 10:40 pm

I understand that we all have to make a living. I just think who we are as a person is more important.