Show Of Hands March 22nd, 2013 3:05am

Congratulations! You've won an all-expenses paid European vacation to your choice of France or Italy!

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/22/13 8:29 am

I want to sail around the Italian coast. It looks so beautiful and some of those cliff side towns look amazing.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/22/13 6:45 am

My parents are planning on retiring next year and taking a trip to Italy to celebrate that & their 45th anniversary. They want to rent a house so my sister and my husband & I can come too. My mom was looking at places in Rome, but I'm pushing for Sorrento/Tuscany. Rome seems to big-city hectic.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/22/13 6:48 am

But I think I'd like that region a lot better than Florence and Venice, where I've been. My dad has never been to Europe, and I think he'd probably prefer that too. Plus, it's closer to a few other countries that would be nice to visit. If you stay in Rome, you're probably not leaving Italy.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/22/13 6:54 am

I did enjoy a lot of pizza (especially a rosemary/potato/olive oil pizza) and a ton of gelato when I was there. Looking forward to that again. :)

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/22/13 1:48 am

My parents have dear friends in Italy.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/21/13 8:58 pm

There are several countries and many cities in Europe I'd like to return to, and of these, France is nearer the top of the list. Merci bien!

RJ1969 SoCal
03/21/13 8:50 pm

Paris? Or have you been other parts?

RJ1969 SoCal
03/21/13 8:55 pm

Yeah, the people of Paris suck butt somethin fierce.

The south of France is a totally different story.

thatguy81 here
03/21/13 8:59 pm

Never been to Italy...rather try something new

susanr Colorado
03/21/13 9:01 pm

The friends I'd like to visit live in Aix-en-Issert, up near the northern tip (sort of near Calais). Any idea what it's like up there?

RJ1969 SoCal
03/21/13 9:06 pm

Been to Calais. It is different from the south, that's for sure. People aren't as nice, but not like Parisians. Lots of historical things to see (WWII). Good seafood. Cold and dreary majority of the year. Ok wine, but not like the Bordeaux region. Great chocolate and cheese. Very Goat-centric

susanr Colorado
03/21/13 9:09 pm

Interesting; thanks. At least there'd be two nice people.

RJ1969 SoCal
03/21/13 9:11 pm

BTW, iTranslate for the iPhone does a pretty good job.

susanr Colorado
03/21/13 9:21 pm

Always good to know. Even in the US.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/22/13 6:42 am

Goats? Perfect location for that BBQ picnic.

RJ1969 SoCal
03/21/13 8:29 pm

The ex-girlfriend was a frog. We visited France on several occasions. Would like to return to Italy. Not to mention, it's much cheaper!

Emma Austin.ish.
03/21/13 8:25 pm

You know, it's funny, I almost asked a very similar question tonight. ;)

Emma Austin.ish.
03/21/13 8:24 pm

Italy was really cool, but also really dirty (of course, maybe I just thought that because I had come from Austria, which is practically perfect in every way). I'd like to try France, and definitely see Belgium while I'm there.

AnnieM The Island
03/21/13 8:21 pm

My favorite subject in college was Art History & if I thought I could have gotten a steady job with it I would have majored in it. The Renaissance is one of my favorite periods in paintings, sculpture *and* architecture.
France has the Louvre and Italy has, well, everything else. Ciao Italia!

susanr Colorado
03/21/13 8:18 pm

I'd actually rather go to Italy but I have a couple friends in France I'd rather see even more. They're a British couple I met & stayed with on my trip to England (and saw several times in the US as well) who have since moved to France.

Now if the other option had been Spain...

susanr Colorado
03/21/13 8:56 pm

I would like to see the Sagrada Familia and other works of Gaudi, the Alhambra & maybe other Islamic architecture, and Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. Thus, Spain for me please. Also: FOOD!